Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - RX4 rear coil spring replacement

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 7th February 2013
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: RX4 rear coil spring replacement

Hi, I've a 2001 RX4 and my o/s rear coil snapped when i came off (albeit gently) a kerb that wasn't even excessively high!

Anyway got underneath and yes spotted it was cracked/snapped though the other one looked intact but looked a bit twisted.

Ordered via an outlet on ebay 1 x rear coil spring, 33 odd and came next day! Coil spring compressors on the way as thought i could remove (ie as broken coil ) before the compressors came to fit the new one.

Thank you for your detailed description BTW, but although i have the swing arm link free from the arm, bolt out of the rear susp strut and tried dropping the swing arm, the damn thing won't come out.

Bit confused by the ''Clamp the flexible brake hose between the body and the swing arm, then disconnect the fixed brake pipe (11mm) from it. The tube nut also clamps the flexi hose into a bracket. Once it's free, tap the flexi hose out of the bracket'' bit?

What can i use to clamp it and won't that cause probs with the fluid inside?

oh and BTW while i was waiting for the WD40 to free up the suspension strut bolt, looked again at the other rear spring and arrrrgghh thats cracked too, so ordered that today, hope compressors and other coil spring come tomorrow.

But in mean time if anyone could help with suggestion to remove the broken springs as they are, would very much appreciate it.

Currently in RX4Owner's garage:
2001 Renault Megane Scenic RX4 2.0
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome