Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Rear light clusters need replacing?? Help please.. :)

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 12th February 2013
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Rear light clusters need replacing?? Help please.. :)

Originally Posted by Fleetster View Post
Hi there,

I have a Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique reg 52 plate and hae issues with my electrics.
I called Renault and they said they cannot order parts til they know what the issue is. I dont want to pay out for loads of things i don't need as i have had issues with my local Renault before.

The problem started when the fog llght comes on, on the dash when i break or indicate.

Recently my wiper comes on when indicating, reverse lights come on when breaking, hazzards come on when breaking and break lights on when locking and unlocking the car.

My friend had a look at the rear clusters and the one of the connecters on each side has melted.
Is it just as simple as the clusters need replacing or is it anything else? Does anyone know what could have caused this? Im worried Halfords have messed them up when replacing bulbs, or is it general ware and tear??

Would appreciate any imput as i have no clue about cars, such a girl
Well there are a couple of tests you could do before you spend a single penny. If you're symptoms, like the dash fog light coming on when breaking or the wipers when indicating, are repeatable (i.e. you know they are going to happen every time), then just disconnect the lights and see if they go away. Some of the syptoms could well be related to the rear light clusters (e.g. a bad earth could lead to the dash fog light warning coming on when braking, similarly reverse lights and indicators), but it's hard to see how your other symptoms related to the central locking and wipers could be due to the rear clusters (but then dodgy earths can cause all sorts of wierd and wonderful problems).

Final bit of advice if you do establish that the rear clusters are faulty - don't buy new ones from Renault (unless you have deep pockets). New or used, Ebay is your friend
Currently in stevewes's garage:
2012 Scenic
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome