Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Electronic Handbrake - DIY Repair possible?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 17th February 2013 Thread Starter
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Electronic Handbrake - DIY Repair possible?

First post so hello

We purchased a 2004 Megane Scenic 1.6 VVT a month or 2 ago and it's been serving it's purpose of ferrying the family about quite well.

Yesterday, my partner pulled off the drive as normal (hand brake auto disengaged as normal) but before she had got to the end of the road, there was a warning on the dash saying that the parking brake was at fault. When she got to where she was going, the hand brake will now not engage. The handle appears to do nothing (bar flash at you). No sound from the motor etc.

So, I've trawled through a number of threads on here but in all honesty, nothing has really helped much, hence why I'm posting this here.

First off. If there is no sound from the motor, can I assume it's dead or that the parking break unit is dead or is there any possiblity that a fuse could have blown? The Scenic manual is possibly the most unhelpful lump of paper I have ever come across so I can't even single out where a fuse for the unit would be. I have checked the fuses under the bonnet and in the glovebox but none appear blown but then none appear to be related to the parking brake anyway...

If the motor is dead (how can I check?), is it possible to do a DIY replacement? Can I just buy a new / used unit on ebay (the prices are eye-wateringly high ) and fit it myself or does it need programing to the car or ned the use of a dealer only tool?

Is there a guide anywhere of how to fit a new unit? WHere abouts under the car is it located?

Any other help appreciated. I hate modern cars with a passion. All this electic crap really puts me off working on them. You would never guess I'm actually quite a competant spanner monkey.
Currently in mysterylemon's garage:
Scenic made of cheese
  5 Lastest Threads by mysterylemon
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Electronic Handbrake - DIY Repair possible? Brakes/Hubs MariaAnaNeves 41 51731 17th February 2013 10:50 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome