Thread: A quick ABS q
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 17th February 2013 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 17 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,014 Posts
A quick ABS q

I recently changed back(yday) to my summer tyre fitment but prior to that I decided to test the characteristics of the standard size fitment a little..

Going downhill at 50km/hr on a very slight lh curve I applied the brakes in a "simulated" emergency stop.
The lhs front wheel skidded,ie locked as the car was coming to a halt.

I had intentionally driven the front lhs along a strip of fairly recent "chippings".
There were no warning lights/clutch was depressed..

It wasnt a tiny millisecond lockup,you could hear the skid on the gravel and the whole car moved at least a foot..
My q i: Is this a characteristic of ABS(I never owned an abs car before)
Was it like the ABS detected this wheel locked and "pulsed" the other 3 free for a little more movement or was it just the simple inertia of the car transferring to the waekest contact point and the ABS already considered the car stopped?

Or perhaps ABS doesnt really come into it unless you "really mean it" like there has to be a certain force in kg applied to the pedal.

Just wondered?

nb : the front tyres are winter fitment 195/65/15 and rears are normal 195/65 15 so grip characteristics would be different, but in terms of lock/or not that shouldnt affect the abs operation?

Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.
  5 Lastest Threads by coup
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Cheese factory explosion in France Jokes & funny stuff coup 0 187 6th July 2016 07:48 AM
Meg 3 fuel flap Electronics A55ii 4 210 1st July 2016 09:11 AM
conflict resolution, zohan method YouTube coup 0 250 8th March 2016 08:26 PM
Our Babs..sorry I missed a couple of o's Jokes & funny stuff Dancingdad 4 310 2nd March 2016 10:12 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome