Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Rear Suspension Knock,Shock Absorbers Commonly Snapping

View Single Post
post #136 of (permalink) Old 21st February 2013
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Scenic - Rear Suspension Knock,Shock Absorbers Commonly Snapping

Originally Posted by iztok85 View Post
Hi guys!
I have a similar problem. knocking noise at the rear,

but when the car is full of passengers, knocking stops...
do you think it is also in this case a problem in broken shock absorber?

thx, iztok
On my car I had the same symptom driven me crazy.

*Check if the connecting bolts on shock-absorbers (upper&lower) are tightened properly. You need an assistant to "swing" a chassis up&down. It's easy to check/access lower bolts from beneath a car. Upper bolts are hidden below rear wheel-vane protection which has to be slightly removed to provide access to upper bolt(s).

* It's necessary to provide a wrench 22/12-angle and good wrench/rachet 1/2". At least on my scenic it was; The best solution is to have torque-wrench but it's not obligatory;

If that's a case, when you locate a loosen bolt, do next:
- slightly lift-up one rear-wheel so you can move wheel-vane protection to access upper bolt
- lower the car completely on ground (release lift) and tighten upper bolt with 22/12ang firmly
- lift again and put back protection
- put down the car;

Repeat if necessary on other side. Do it ASAP because if that's a case, soon it can lead to bigger damage(s)

Wheels should not be removed and when tightening bolt(s) wheels must be on ground!
Currently in ForrestGump's garage:
Scenic 1.6 16V, Super5 1.1
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome