Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Pulling hair out!! 4x discs/pads megane1.6 07

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 21st February 2013 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Pulling hair out!! 4x discs/pads megane1.6 07

Hi guys,

Bit of a long story and i have searched but every job is different and want to put all the facts down and see what you guys say.

I have done brakes/new lines on my motorcycle a few years ago which is why I approached my mothers megane with a bit of confidence (which I'm now fearing was misplaced lol).

The car has failed its mot so either way this car will be going via a garage so no need to tell me off for fiddling with brakes

Down to the facts -

- Mums 1.6 2007 megane got a beast 500quid mot bill. All brake discs and pads knackered + faulty tire. tried to save her a few quid doing this for her but has gone pair shaped lol.
- Stripped, replaced disc.

- Wound caliper piston back in... I did not remove cap from master cylinder, however I cracked open nipple as I pushed piston in and let excess fluid go into a container. (I done this step extremely slow, all of the pistons went in very slow, smooth and easily).

- pads in, caliper on, wheel on.
]x4 for each wheel

- after doing this for all four wheels fired it up and turned it on.

- as engine started pedal dropped right down nearly on floor. However pushing car back and forth there is braking power quite far down the large travel it now has. (no dash errors)

-assumed air was getting in behind pistons when i opened nipples when winding them in so I decided to bleed them.

- went round bled them all using a tube going into a tub filled with a bit of fluid and got someone to pump brake and then after some pumps and the tubing looking solid with no bubbles hold peddle in - I tighten nipple then release peddle.

- top up master cylinder.
] x4 for each

So now when engine off peddle feels kind of okay, start engine and it does same as before except (I think) a bit worse/travels further. Now get a dash warning 'brake fault' as well.

So I have basically made them worse than before by trying to bleed lol.

Given all this stuff, what do you guys think??

I found the bleeding to be a pain and the hose kept slipping off the nipples so my best case thinking is that ive introduced some air and made it worse during my bleed attempt.

Hoping that the garage can slap one of them machines on that do it easily - and therefore are not going to bump on a load of labor charge that I was trying to avoid in first place.
Currently in maclean35's garage:
2007 megane
  5 Lastest Threads by maclean35
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Pulling hair out!! 4x discs/pads megane1.6 07 Brakes/Hubs maclean35 10 1572 21st February 2013 06:26 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome