Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2004 scenic common faults PLEASE READ

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 23rd February 2013
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Re: 2004 scenic common faults PLEASE READ

Originally Posted by corkey89 View Post
I am looking for the common faults of 2004 renault scenic's as im am going to look at one tomorrow. it has the service and airbag light on which i have reaserched and is most likley a bad connection. any other information on this or any other common problems on these or what to look out for when buying one would be much appreciated.

Dashboard failure
Electric window problems
Keycard faults (make sure it comes with two working cards!)
General other electrical faults (check everything....and I mean EVERYTHING electrical works!)
Heater fan/rheostat faults.
If it's got an electronic handbrake.....well,personally I'd walk away but at least make sure it works correctly.
If it's 1.9dCi,check for turbo problems,engine management problems under extended full load,if it's got a FAP filter make sure this fits into the kind of driving you intend doing (short journeys are no good for these).
If petrol,listen for dephaser rattle on start up.

That's all of the top of my head,I'm sure there are plenty of other things if you search around on the forum.

Personally,I wouldn't bother with a 2004 Scenic 2,I'd either go for a 2003 earlier shape Scenic 1 or try and find a newer Scenic 2.A 2004 Scenic 2 will be a very early car of this type and it's never a good idea to buy a car so early in it's life IMHO.
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome