Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Clio - Starting Problems - A solution???

View Single Post
post #111 of (permalink) Old 27th February 2013
Diamond member
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: Renault - Clio - Starting Problems - A solution???

Originally Posted by mrsmartguy123 View Post
hi,my laguna will not start,turns over and noticed the rpm going up to around 3000rpm whilst cranking,i have scanned and shows a code relating to tdc sensor,is this a sign of faulty sensor.thanks.
Yup. First try removing that sensor and cleaning it. You will find a banana shaped bracket above the flywheel with a black/dark cylinder attached. Two 10 or 13mm bolts to remove, a faff to get to but once loose, should come out by hand. Unplug the sensor, use some cleaner (WD40/ethanol/etc) to make the magnetic pin clean again. Check the flywheel hole below the sensor is clear from obstruction, reconnect and reattach. If it doesn't help, could be coolant temp sensor, MAP sensor , O2 sensor, throttle body , although with the last two sensors, I would expect to show a light on the dash. The throttle body might need a clean.

If the temp gauge on your dash works, the temp sensor could still be faulty as they will be part of two or three independent circuits. Relatively cheap and easy to replace.

The MAP sensor and lambda/O2 sensors a little more pricey, could be worth getting codes read.

Get the TDC sensor cleaned or replaced. Cheap and easy, a common problem too.

Currently in mah14681's garage:
2001 Clio Mk2 Ph1 1.2 16v Sport, 2001 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 LX (95)
The Following User Says Thank You to mah14681 For This Useful Post:
elhifnawyplast (9th May 2013)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome