Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Just bought a Megane at (maybe) a bargain price!

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 28th February 2013 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Smile Just bought a Megane at (maybe) a bargain price!

Hello, fellow Renault owners. After time of owning an Alfa Romeo GT (Well, it was a beautiful car), I realised that MoT is about to expire and fixing it to pass costs quite a lot. Well, some may say it's kind of nonsense where I need a reliable car and bought a Renault.
Though, I heard loads of good stories about Megane. Many people I know own/owned it and never had a problem with it. Also said parts are readily available and if I go with aftermarket, can save a lot and quite cheap to run compare to Germans ( I HATE GERMAN CARS). So I went for it. I always liked how Megane looked like.

I just bought a Renault Megane, 55 reg with 66k miles for 1100 pounds. I think it was a bargain.

3 doors, 5 speed manual, black, sunroof.

Love the car. Key card is such a unique thing to have, too! Love it.

However, it needs a tlc and I hope someone in here can enlighten me a bit.

-Not only driver side window does not work, it's off runners. Wouldn't hold and it's a little bit open. I am insecure about leaving it at night as my car is being parked out on the street.

-Front bumper is a little bit down but I do not mind. However, due to that, headlight cluster on the passenger side kinda hanging on it so the headlight beam aims lower to the ground than the driver side. It looks okay from outside but when driving, it's very noticeable!

-What's the interval on cambelt? Not sure it has been changed as it only has MOT certificate histories. If needed to be changed, how much is it usually?

Other than that, it's great. I am thinking of modding it a bit to make it look nicer. Does anyone know a cheap exhaust system to start with? Thinking of upgrading it later but it's just too quiet now.

Well, I am happy. I thought it'd be a downgrade. However, besides this is cheaper in the market and doesn't have that nice leather interior Alfa used to have, technologically Megane tops Alfa in everything. Push button start, keyless lock/unlock, nice screen on dash, more modern centre fascia in general and love the clutch as it's much lighter than Alfa.

I hope to keep this car for long. I hear Renault Megane being very unreliable everywhere but I am sure I can be a good example of a reliable one!

Sorry about so many questions. Just trying to get to know the car as it's my first French car ever!

Thanks in advance

Currently in pjbyeon09's garage:
55 Reg Renault Megane 1.6
  5 Lastest Threads by pjbyeon09
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Just bought a Megane at (maybe) a bargain price! Cars & motoring IT66 2 938 28th February 2013 07:23 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome