Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Brake Failure!!!

View Single Post
post #33 of (permalink) Old 3rd March 2013
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Brake Failure!!!

Hi Folks, not been around in a while...
Did anything ever come to light with this?
Reason I ask is recently I had a very puzzling and frightening occurrance in my '01 scenic dci, coming towards stationary traffic at 50mph my brakes appeared not to do anything, pressing harder had little to no effect leaving me hurtling toward the rear of a vehicle rather quickly.
I evaded and shot up between the stationary traffic and 50mph oncoming traffic furiously trying to stop but having no luck, did wonder if my foot had strayed onto clutch so moved it aside and found accelerator, nope dont want that!, moved back across and got brakes thus then coming to a halt.
Girlfriend is sure I indeed pressed brake pedal as she looked whilst shouting 'STOP!' to see what was going off.
The morning before upon the first use of the brakes I did find myself thinking 'eyup, stop yer bugger' at a junction but thought nothing more.
Anyway being a former mechanic and having worked on vehicles all my life I've done all the usual checks (servo function, fluid level and so on) finding nothing at fault. Brakes have been fine ever since, infact the day after they were too strong (known variability of power/feel on megane/scenic of this age but generally 'good to 'very good' braking) hence me trawling on here to find anything similar.
That was two week back and all is fine and dandy still...
Main suspects are vacuum pump/servo/master cylinder/abs pump but no evidence as to any of these.
I do realise I could have hit wrong pedal but memory/gf/trying to reach clutch readily with right foot all suggest otherwise.
Any thoughts?? Cheers!
Currently in andydci's garage:
Scenic Dci, grand scenic 1.9dci
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome