Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Sanding brake discs ***resolved***

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 4th March 2013 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Mouse Race Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Sanding brake discs ***resolved***

Hi all,

I went for the yearly technical check (like the UK MOT) in the country where I live (Austria) at the weekend. The test took place at a branch of Austria's national car club (like the AA) where they are generally overprecise when it comes to the MOT, but give you an objective opinion because they don't do repairs themselves and so don't try to rip you off. That's the theory anyway.

Anyway, one of the several problems with the car was "excessive corrosion" of a front brake disc, supposedly because the car had been left standing too long during the winter.

According to the examiner, I don't need to replace the whole brake disc, just take it off and sand it down till the rust is gone. Presumably there is some pitting.

- Has anyone ever heard of this practice before?

- Would you pass the MOT in the UK or the equivalent in any other country after sanding away the rust?

- Can't I just do a few emergency stops instead of sanding down the brake disc?

Currently in MadScenic's garage:
1999 Scenic Mk I Phase I 1.4 16v

Last edited by VelSatisfied; 20th March 2013 at 09:53 AM.
  5 Lastest Threads by MadScenic
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
MOT - 3 issues with brakes Brakes/Hubs ste2425 2 533 2nd March 2015 08:35 AM
Scenic Central Locking Issue Electronics MadScenic 12 2913 4th December 2014 10:47 AM
Oil leak on rocker cover Engines MadScenic 8 3291 6th April 2013 04:54 PM
Main dealer secretive about part numbers General Chat Magners 8 1983 30th March 2013 10:34 PM
Corroded brake line - replace only corroded part?... Brakes/Hubs MadScenic 7 2360 4th March 2013 11:09 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome