Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Electronic Handbrake - DIY Repair possible?

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 8th March 2013
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Electronic Handbrake - DIY Repair possible?

Just thought I would add my experience of the parking brake issue as it may help others...

My 2007 Scenic II seems to have developed an issue where on the last two occasions I have given it to a garage, it comes back with a parking brake fault.

The first was after an MOT. I managed to clear this by cycling the parking brake on and off. This was in December and there have been no reoccurances since...

...Until yesterday, when I took it in to get the tracking checked after replacing inner track rods. I don't know what these people do - maybe they don't understand the Scenic parking brake, but on the way home I realised the console display said 'Check Parking Brake.' Also, every time the parking brake was applied it would display 'Parking Brake Fault' and start beeping at me!

I was unable to rectify this by cycling the parking brake manually, as before. The brake mechanism motors fine since I can hear it clearly. After trawling the internet, mainly this forum, I tried the solution of disconnecting the battery and it worked!

Obviously there was some kind of 'logic' issue with the parking brake and it is physically sound. I refuse to take it to Renault immediately to pay 60 for a diagnostic check to clear the fault or 600 for a new computer when it was working fine until handed over to someone else to drive.

So, if your parking brake appears to be physically working but you get warning messages on the console, try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting to see if it works!
Currently in Leemag1980's garage:
2007 Scenic II 1.6 Dynamique
The Following User Says Thank You to Leemag1980 For This Useful Post:
blakemere (8th March 2013)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome