Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #1100 of (permalink) Old 13th March 2013
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,200 Times in 4,712 Posts
Re: Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

The major causes of the bonnet catch failures was down to poor maintainance rather than poor design. And I doubt any make of bonnet catch could ever be referred to as totally maintenance free. In the past many years ago Vauxhall Chevettes suffered similar problems due to lack of miuntenance.

The maintenance of the catch was not prescribed on the service schedules which any decent car manufacturer (including Ford, Mazda, etc, etc,) should do.

Yes it would seem Renault have been remiss on this maintenace aspect but so have many other makers. I am not defending Renault in any way when I say this but rather as a criticism of motor manufacturers in general.

Many manufacturers argue that they should not be made to pay for complete renewal of faulty parts if the owner has got years of use out of that part.

In this particular case I feel the least Renault (or any other manufacturer) could do would be to make a percentage contribution to remedy the situation.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome