Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Sanding brake discs ***resolved***

View Single Post
post #42 of (permalink) Old 14th March 2013 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Mouse Race Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion Threadstarter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Sanding brake discs

Hi all,

I took the car in today and had a good look at both front brake discs with the mechanic.

The outer surfaces (facing away from the car) appear fine (strangely).

The inner surfaces (the two sides facing the opposite side of the car) are quite extensively rusted across most of the braking area around the whole circumference of the discs.

I wonder if the brake pad isn't contacting this side of the discs on both sides of the car properly? Why else would the inner side rust so much more than the outer side? Anyone have any ideas?

I told him I was advised to get them skimmed (indeed, that is what I had arranged with the garage's boss) and he said they are beyond saving. I then said I'm not interested in buying any parts off him and after a while he said OK he will skim them (on a lathe) as best he can but he can't guarantee that the MOT retester will then pass them.

This is one of several things I'm getting done to the car at the same time (all MOT fails) and included in a fixed price I negotiated.

I'll keep you updated.

Currently in MadScenic's garage:
1999 Scenic Mk I Phase I 1.4 16v

Last edited by MadScenic; 14th March 2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Typo.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome