Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Sanding brake discs ***resolved***

View Single Post
post #48 of (permalink) Old 14th March 2013 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Mouse Race Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion Threadstarter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Sanding brake discs

Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
In my experience the backs of the discs tend to suffer more from corrosion than the outside and that applies to most make of cars.

The problem with skimming modern discs is that you can easily exceed the minimum thickness - they just don't seem to have the same amount of beef as in the older days. Obviously this reduces the overall brake efficiency mainly due to reduced heat disapation.

When it comes to brakes you should never skimp.

Brakes are like your your best friends - you miss them most when they ain't around.
Hi madnoel, thanks for the info on corrosion.

I agree entirely by the way.

The mechanic definitely won't put them back on if they end up too thin after skimming or if he thinks they are dangerous to use.

By the way, this place I went to is a Renault partner (hence my reluctance to let them start supplying parts at crazy prices) that offered me a reasonable fixed price for all the work I need done (same price as a backstreet mechanic, plus courtesy car included in the meantime etc.). If it needs new brake discs, then believe me, I will buy some myself and get them fitted.
Currently in MadScenic's garage:
1999 Scenic Mk I Phase I 1.4 16v
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome