Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2002 Laguna Wheel Bearing

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 16th March 2013
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via Skype™ to greyray
Re: 2002 Laguna Wheel Bearing

I have just had to replace both front & back wheel bearings;
The rear bearings come in the disc ready assembled. I think it was a 36mm (or 38mm) socket that's needed to remove the centre bolt, but other than that, it is a very easy task to do yourself in a relatively short time (1 to 2 hours).
The front bearing is a different thing though > getting most of it apart is also relatively easy and can be done in your own garage using the big socket as above. However, getting the bearing out of the unit is very hard. Luckily I have a friend who has a repair garage (& a large hydraulic ram to press out the old bearings and replace the new ones). The ram has a readout, that showed 17 tons of pressure needed to remove the bearing & when it did remove it, the bearing came apart into inner & outer rings, leaving the inner bearing in place. This inner bearing had to be cut using an angle grinder, then split apart with a hammer & chisel to allow it to be removed. Then, when re-fitting, dont forget to put the metal ring (I assume its for ABS or speedo readings) in place before you press the new bearing into place. It doesnt take long if you have the hydraulic ram, but without it, I think I could still be busily working away having got virtually nowhere. 17 tons of pressure is a lot of pressure !
Currently in greyray's garage:
2004 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport tourer
The Following User Says Thank You to greyray For This Useful Post:
srafferty (22nd August 2014)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome