Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Sanding brake discs ***resolved***

View Single Post
post #60 of (permalink) Old 19th March 2013
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,199 Times in 4,711 Posts
Re: Sanding brake discs

Originally Posted by MadScenic View Post
Thanks for the responses guys.

Madnoel, that's interesting - may I ask where you live?

I live in Northern Ireland. The MOT testing stations are run entirely by goverment and do not carry out repairs or give advisories - either the car passes or fails.

When it comes to brake discs if 25% or more of either side of the disc is corroded or not making effective contact with the brake pads then it is an automatic fail. Some people think it's harsh but at least they give a definitive standard which can be measured it needs be. Also it means during a pre-MOT check a mechanic knows if it the condition of the disc is likely to pass or fail before subjecting the car to the test centre.

In my experience all breaks deteriorate over time and I never ever skimp on brakes it just ain't worth it. In over 40 years of submitting cars for MOT only once did a car fail on its brakes - a handbrake cable broke during the test at a point which could not been seen without dismantling the cable asembly. It was a Vauxhall Cavalier and the cable broke inside a closed hinged quadrant.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome