Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic II handbrake module

View Single Post
post #37 of (permalink) Old 21st March 2013
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Scenic II handbrake module

Hi paperboy1, you don't need to remove caliper bracket, so in that way a bit like changing pads.

Once caliper is removed the cable comes off quite easily.
If your cable is not released to full length ( if pads are well worn and the cable has adjusted itself) is a real struggle to get back on the new caliper. but do-able.
Maybe a good idea if this is the case to change pads first (on both sides), re-assemble, engage parking brake to let it reset to max length.
Make sure you do pumping of foot peddle procedure before engaging parking brake.

Another issue is the brake hose nut that connects to the caliper, very soft metal and slightly less than a 10mm spanner (if i remember correctly, but you can gently force one on!), could go rounded very easily so becareful. Spray with Wd40 way before if you can. (don't forget to clamp the brake hose).

Same goes for bleed nipple (you don't need to mess with it on old caliper). If you are getting a used caliper you need to spray (WD40) the bleed nipple for a day or so before you are going to install it, i've found they are usually a bugger. again 10mm spanner, but i started it off with a socket, it does less damage. Make sure it's free before installation, you obviously need to bleed the brakes after job is done ( you only need to bleed this caliper,...... usually)

I presume you know the general proceedure for rear pad change on scenic, you can find it on this forum with pics but these are the main issues I can remember.
If i think of anything else i'll let you know.
Currently in Jon67's garage:
Renault scenic 2004 1.6
The Following User Says Thank You to Jon67 For This Useful Post:
paperboy1 (21st March 2013)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome