Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - New Laguna II MP3 changer disc formats

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 6th October 2005 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
New Laguna II MP3 changer disc formats

The clock is ticking, and the delivery of my new Laguna is getting nearer and nearer. In preparation, I was thinking of rattling together some of my audio collection onto MP3 CDs. I'm hoping some kind soul who already has the MP3 equipped system will spring to my rescue and tell me how to do the discs and files before I burn myself a dozen or more novelty coffee mats.

What I'm really wondering is how it expects the discs to be organised: Does the system differentiate between albums via file and folder names (like my home DVD player) or does it actually have the sense to read the information from the ID3 tags? If it does work with ID3, can it handle ID3 V2 or just V1? Which (if any) of the information appears on the display?

I'm also wondering whether it has limitations on bitrate. I have a load of spoken word stuff that I encoded from cassette many moons ago as 32Kbit mono. Yes the quality is lousy but I doubt I'll ever be bothered re-encoding them at higher bitrates unless I have to. I've known MP3 players that would only handle bitrates within a certain range, and some that wouldn't touch mono. I could always re-encode the existing MP3 at a higher bitrate, but that means losing even more quality (a further lossy encode pass) and ending up with a bigger file. I'm also wondering how well it handles variable bitrate: A lot of players seem to play it okay, but become stumped when trying to do rewind/fast-forward or when displaying running times. I don't see this being a real problem as most of my stuff is fixed bitrate, but I do have the odd thing that's VBR.

And possibly the biggest question: Does the player handle CD-RW or is it CD-R only? I know my old Renault/Alpine CD changer refuses to play CD-RW discs even though it's not at all picky about brands of CD-R. I plan to have a few ready made CD-R MP3 discs, but it'd be nice to be able to compile a RW disc specifically to suit my mood at the time, knowing that I can re-use it when I want to put something else on there instead.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
  5 Lastest Threads by Horatio
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Clio II odd ABS fault Electronics jamie 6 3837 22nd May 2011 08:49 AM
Carminat TomTom nightmare Electronics JohnKFreeman 9 16960 7th May 2011 09:54 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome