Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How To Change The Manual Gearbox Oil On Most Renault Models(With Pictures)

View Single Post
post #46 of (permalink) Old 9th April 2013
I'm a drummer, I hit things!
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Re: How To Change The Manual Gearbox Oil On Most Renault Models(With Pictures)

Originally Posted by storeman View Post
According to my Haynes manual, if you have a PK4 or PK6 gearbox, you need a Renault dipstick to check the oil level.

The same Haynes manual lists JH3 / JH5 / PK4 & PK6 as possible manual gearboxes on the Laguna.

So my question is, how do you know which type of gearbox is fitted to the vehicle. If it is one of the PK variations, are the dipsticks available to buy from motor factors or will they be a Renault only purchase ?
Dipstick not needed. All you need to know is how much oil should be in the gearbox. the important thing with the PK6 et all is that if you use the traditional fill it till it overflows method, the box pressurises and blows the seals. If your manual says the gearbox capacity is 2.8 litres for example, drain the box and refill with 2.8 l of the specified fully synthetic oil . To make sure it drains properly, get the gearbox warm before you start and leave it as long as possible to drain \9 \I even moved the jack about, changing the angle of the car to make sure I got everything I could out of the box before refilling. this methos was tried and tested by me on my old Laguna II at 70k. I sold it at 102K and saw it on the road, 2 and a half years later last week, so my guess is that its fairly safe to do it this way!
Currently in bigiainw's garage:
2016 Skoda Octavia Scout 2.0 CR 150 in Cappuccino Beige/ 2006 Renault Clio III 1.2 16v 3dr Extreme in Post Box Red/ 2013 Renault Trafic LL29 2.0 dCi (euro 5) Sport Passenger in Luxurious Gun Metal Grey with Cruise control, now with parking sensors!!!
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome