Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - MOT Brake Results

View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 13th April 2013 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: MOT Brake Results

Originally Posted by Lagdti View Post
The play in the steering isn't neccessarily an MOT fail issue,from memory (I haven't been a tester for a few years now) you are allowed 25mm of play at the steering wheel on a car with a steering rack (much more when an old steering box is fitted).

The front bulb could have blown at any time.

The rear wiper isn't a testable item.

Just because the brake efficiency is below the specified amount it doesn't make it an automatic fail,the other thing taken into consideration is whether the wheels locked on the rollers.If more than 50% of the wheels lock on either handbrake or foot brake test then it is a pass.(i.e if both wheels lock on the handbrake test the amount of effort recorded is disregarded,if 3 wheels lock on the foot brake test the efficiency is disregarded).

If you are in any doubt about the MOT,contact VOSA before any repairs are carried out.They are on the whole very helpful and are as interested in sorting out suspect MOT's/stations as anyone else is.
Thank you, that's really helpful. I have an inch play in the steering and it directly affects the ability to maintain control of the car at high speeds. I've checked previous MOT's on the car through the directgov website and the light was identified as a failure on an MOT in Janurary along with the play in steering but it seems to have disappeared from the new MOT without being fixed (two different MOT's from two garages). In regards to the brakes, is there anywhere I can view that on the brake test? My scanner has broke but the main things the sheet shows me is:
Wheel drag, brakeforce, block imb, max imb, main brake, hand brake. At the bottom, it says block imbalance <=30% and pedal pressure <=500n but they're both empty. The manual assessment has deemed it a pass though
Currently in KellyWellyWoo's garage:
Renault Clio 2009 1.2
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome