Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - clio cambelt?

Thread: clio cambelt?
View Single Post
post #24 of (permalink) Old 14th April 2013
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: clio cambelt?

Hi, am in the process of changing the cam belt on my daughters 06 Clio 1.5 DCi. I am a fairly competent DIY mechanic and have done many jobs on many engines, however I have to say that this job is an absolute pig and is testing my patience to the limit. The main problem is lack of space as Renault have shoe horned a big lump of an engine into a shoe box sized bonnet. However, that being said I will pass on some tips I have found. The Haynes manual is fine as a guide but one thing I found is their picture of where the TDC flywheel aperture is located is hopelessly inadequate. It's on the front of the block left hand side under the starter motor. It took me hours to find it with an angled mirror and torch. It's a torx nut but will come off with an 11mm socket. Easier to get to if you remove the radiator bottom hose, which you will have to do anyway if you drain the cooling system to replace the water pump at the same time as the cam belt (good practise). As for timing pins, you can use an M8 bolt for the cam sprocket and for the crank shaft TDC pin I ground down a M10 bolt to the spec given here (Google "mot 1489 dimensions"). New water pump back on and putting it back together now. One problem I'm having in case anybody out there can help, getting the top bolt on the alternator to line up with the threaded end in the bracket end is a sod of a job and I cannot get it to grip on the first thread, any ideas?
Currently in williamallen's garage:
2006 Clio 1.5DCi
The Following User Says Thank You to williamallen For This Useful Post:
Freezer (6th December 2015)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome