Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault trafic brakes failed!

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 17th April 2013 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault trafic brakes failed!

Hi all I was wondering if you could give me some advice please

I own a Renault trafic 1.9 dci and whilst driving home from work the other day the power steering stopped working and the brakes failed whilst going down a hill in bendy lanes, nice!

I managed to stop the van using the handbrake and a barrier at the side of the road

The reason I thought the brakes had failed was because wheni tried braking the pedal would not budge, it was like a brick

I stopped the van and switched the engine off for a few ins then tried again, the brakes where still the same but the power steering worked ok.

Took a good ten mins before the brakes would work again and I haven't used the van since as I'm afraid it will happen again

Does anyone have any idea as to what the problem could be?

Also previously in the day the van stopped dead on a roundabout on the way to work but started ok when I switched engine on/off, and previously to this when I brake the steering wheel shakes so I don't know if this is connected

Thanks for the replies
Currently in Vickysums's garage:
2002 Renault trafic 1.9 dci sl27
  5 Lastest Threads by Vickysums
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Which gearbox do i need?? Transmissions cockers 5 1250 26th September 2013 03:52 PM
Trafic six speed gear box and clutch Transmissions flying clutchman 2 1018 14th September 2013 10:24 PM
Renault trafic brakes failed! Brakes/Hubs Renoir White 3 4032 17th April 2013 07:25 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome