Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic wheel arch carpet?

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 21st April 2013
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Re: Scenic wheel arch carpet?

It'll serve a couple of purposes, I'd reckon.

The first, you correctly say will be for sound deadening, I'd also imagine it will slow-down any road debris caught in the tread and flung off the tyre, which not only presents a hazard to others, but can damage the car itself.

Problem is, sometimes anything like that can create moisture traps, which will allow small problems to become big headaches if left unchecked.

Personally, I'd carefully remove enough of the liner to avoid damaging clips, but to allow a visual inspection of the metalwork to be performed. If all looks well - simply replace it. If not, try ebay or renault for clips (some will break), and hopefully it isn't at the welding stage.

If you do need to correct rust, once it's all been treated, I would give the arches a decent coat of heavy underseal, leave it for a couple of weeks, so it gets a chance to go off, then replace the liners.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome