Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Roo the Kangoo given up on me... :0(

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 21st April 2013 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Unhappy Roo the Kangoo given up on me... :0(

Hiya... First post is a pathetic moany, confused one i'm afraid so sorry! :0(

I'm after a few peoples opinions. You really will have to excuse me as I am a girl that really doesn't have a clue about cars which is probably why I am in this situation today!!

I purchased an automatic 1.4 Renault Kangoo (petrol) a couple of months ago, from a dealer but on a sold as seen, Spares or Repairs basis... So, no warranty, no history, high mileage. Probably a recipe for disaster, can hear you all banging your heads already!

The car ran fine, but as it was high mileage and no history they couldn't offer a warranty and was a little tatty inside, but I didn't mind as we were ripping the backseats etc out, and building cages etc for my dog walking business.

Anyway, the car has run fine, until one day a (I think) gearbox light came on. It started to whirr a little, but I pulled over, turned off/on, the light went and it ran normally after.
This continued to happen occassionally so I booked it into my garage but they couldn't fit it in until Monday coming. I also wanted the cambelt changed / water pump done too as I had no history on the car.

A couple days later it started not wanting to start first time. Usually okay second time, but sometimes not. My partner just told me to rev it and it'd be fine but I had a gut feeling something wasn't right.

Today I drove say 15-20 minutes, and the gearbox light appeared. I got to a round about and notice someone driving up my backside so I tried to go a little faster, and felt the car was very reluctant / slow to pull away, and wouldnt get up to speed. Eventually it picked up speed down a straight road, and we drove at 60 with no problems.

We got to a round about, and the car again, didn't want to get up to speed, my foot was down but it wasn't really going anywhere. Again, we slowly got up to speed, but every time we had to stop or slow it got worse, and I had to put my hazards on until I could pull over somewhere.

Soon I pulled over, and restarted my car (which usually helps with the gearbox light thingy but it was a lot worse this time). I noticed my car was juddering / making a HORRIFIC noise. It used to tick a tiny bit (always has), but this was a judder / chug... it was LOUD and sounded bad. I managed to slowly get it to move so I could go somewhere a bit safer but it barely crawled and sounded terrible.

My mum came to pick me up and the car wouldnt restart for her to listen, just made a god awful noise trying. Later (hours and hours) we went back to the car for my dad to look at it; it very very reluctantly started but sounded just as terrible. Oil was perfectly fine but water was a teeny bit on the low side. I didn't look at the temperature, I was too busy panicing and being generally clueless.

I'm sorry if this may sound dumb of me, but what could it possibly be? I think i've done a real wrongen in buying this car and for being stupid and thinking I might be able to get away with doing it all on the cheap it's effecting my business now as I can't get to my clients.

Tomorrow it is being recovered and will be taken to the mechanic... but I guess I would like to find out if you think it is possibly salvageabe or likely to be more than the car is worth?
Currently in MissMason4's garage:
1.4 Kangoo
  5 Lastest Threads by MissMason4
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Roo the Kangoo given up on me... :0( Cars & motoring bikeypikey 1 2844 21st April 2013 06:34 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome