Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - New member in Bristol.

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 3rd May 2013
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,200 Times in 4,712 Posts
Re: New member in Bristol.

Most modern cars have a limp mode when the ECU detects a fault but the downside to Renaults is that they use a different protocol in their ECU 's and very few garages apart form the dealers have the compatible kit to read the fault codes - thus making repairs that much more expensive. Plus Renault guard there technical manuals like gold dust and guard their copyright jealously.

Thankfully both cars I drive and service don't suffer such problems. I have never really concerned myself regarding how a car looks or how fancy the wheels may be simply because I can see neither when I'm inside. I take the simplistic view - any car is better than walking.

One thing to ask your self is this. Why are Renault second hand cars so plentiful and cheap. I think you'll find the anwer is that they just become uneconomic to repair. For example my neighbour offered me his 2007 Lag II a few weeks ago. It was going reasonably well, had 82K on the clock. He simply said if you can beat 400 it's all yours not because I was a neighbour but that was the best price anyone else had offered. To make it fully reliable he need to spend 2000 on it which was more than it was worth.

I ain't setting out to knock Renaults (there are worse makes out there) but when buying a second hand Renault you need to keep a level head and not be swayed by looks or the bells and whistles. Either that or have deep pockets.

Good luck with your search and I hope you enjoy whatever you decide to buy.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
The Following User Says Thank You to madnoel10 For This Useful Post:
arno65 (3rd May 2013)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome