Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - scenic 2 - cant reset handbrake

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11th May 2013 Thread Starter
Banned User
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: scenic 2 - cant reset handbrake

Fixed this myself today.

Firstly pulled yellow lever. Flashed up an error which still persists, so be warned. Put the car in 5th, used chocks and took the rear wheel off.

Took the caliper off and bled it, loads of air came out. Can only presume the pushing back in of the piston introduced air. Brakes were spongy so ties in.

Wierd thing was when it all went back together, the handbrake lever worked by hand when the caliper bolts were loose. When tightened, it didn't.

So I pulled the caliper again and pressed the brake pedal about ten times to make the piston pop out about half an inch. Wound it back in then at the end the opposite direction half a turn. This apparently helps the handbrake reset. All of this must be done with the cable for the handbrake disconnected from the caliper and the handbrake arm to the 'rear'.

Put all back together, pressed the brake five or six times then started the car. Pulled the grey handbrake handle, then when doing that pressed the small button with the red light on and held it. You can hear the handbrake activate, then a little noise about 5 seconds later. This takes up the slack in the cables. Took at least 12 times before the handbrake started to bite and worked well again. Each other time, the handbrake is coming off though.

Handbrake now working, error on the dash though. Might go away but who cares. Test this week and will report.

It was pretty clear from rust on the new disk the caliper just wasn't working either as well as the handbrake. I would suggest these symptoms point to air in the caliper and people should bleed the back brakes whenever doing the rear disks and pads as routine.
Currently in pauldoubleyou's garage:
Grand Scenic 05
The Following User Says Thank You to pauldoubleyou For This Useful Post:
dtech (12th May 2013)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome