Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic 2008 electric handbrake fault

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 13th May 2013
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: Scenic 2008 electric handbrake fault

Hi Fredrik and welcome to the forum. This is a common problem with this type of Scenic. We have lots of posts about this subject, one of the threads regarding this problem is quite a large thread and is called something like "DIY Hand Brake Fix". Please have a look around on here and you'll find it I'm sure. Thinking about it there is also a thread regarding resetting the parking brake by going through a process of turning ignition on and cycling through pressing the parking brake button.

There seems to be a number of causes for this problem. I've listed some ideas below.

The car battery is low, mine did this. It brought the error up but nothing else wrong. Brakes worked fine and so did the Parking Brake. The car started fine so really showed nothing to point to the battery. My local garage replaced battery and cleared fault log.

Rear Brake pads or calipers sticking.

The brake cables sometimes stick.

Of course the very costly electronic module, however as per the thread I spoke of earlier some people have managed to repair their old unit.

I've just had a look around here are some links to threads regarding the Parking Brake.

scenic 2 - cant reset handbrake
scenic 2 - cant reset handbrake
Check Parking Brake - delay activating
Electronic Handbrake - DIY Repair possible?

Good Luck
Currently in whitbyscenic's garage:
Want another Scenic 1.5DCI please
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome