Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Potential Espace buyer - Advice please?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 28th May 2013 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Potential Espace buyer - Advice please?

Hi all. I'm on the market for a MPV and am looking at my options based on my meagre 1500 budget. Obviously there's a range of manufacturers to choose from but to my mind the Mk 3 (1997 - 2003) Espace is the best looking of the bunch by a mile. Reports suggest they're good to drive too. However, I've read a variety of horror stories regarding the model - in particular, expensive mechanical failures. The diesels seem to suffer from repeated turbo and cooler problems and the petrols tend to blow head gaskets, gearboxes and all sorts of other nightmare scenarios. Therefore I wanted to pick your brains as to the most reliable Espace model. Which engine (petrol or diesel) would be the safer bet in terms of reliability and which engine size? In terms of diesels I think there was only a 2.2 so I guess my choices are limited there but is there a particular year during the Mk 3 before / after which reliability was better? I'd appreciate any pointers. Many thanks.
Currently in ric220's garage:
1981 w123 Mercedes estate
  5 Lastest Threads by ric220
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Potential Espace buyer - Advice please? Cars & motoring rockingbird 3 874 28th May 2013 10:11 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome