Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio Mark3 door hinge adjustment

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 28th May 2013 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Clio Mark3 door hinge adjustment

I have a mark 3 (2007) 5-door Clio in which the driver's door has dropped slightly. When closed the door aligns perfectly and there is an equal gap all around so I think the striking plate is correct and nothing is bent out of shape.

When open there does not appear to be any play in the hinges and everything looks tight, rust-free and in good condition. There is no sign of any collision damage or anything untoward that has happened in that area.

However when the door is being closed you can see that the slot in the lock on the door is slightly lower than the striking plate.

I have tried opening the door, jacking up the rear edge of the door, loosening the hinges, jacking a little bit more and then tightening the hinges but it never seems to have any effect.

I have tried loosening just the top hinge, loosening just the bottom hinge, loosening both together and I have tried different amounts of jacking between loosening the bolts and tightening them but always the door seems to go back to exactly the same position.

Obviously I could try jacking up a bit more, but I am using a hydraulic jack and I am already putting a bit more force on it than I would like and don't want to bend anything out of shape. I don't want to loosen the bolts too much and have the whole thing suddenly shift by a huge amount, but I have tried loosening them a full turn or so which I thought should be more than enough.

I looked at previous posts and the advice was basically just to do what I have tried, but in my case it doesn't seem to be having any effect.

Any advice on what to try? Should I be loosening the bolts much more, should I just give a few more presses on the jack or is there something else I can try?
Currently in etlblbt's garage:
2007 Renault Clio
  5 Lastest Threads by etlblbt
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Clio Mark3 door hinge adjustment Bodywork madnoel10 3 3850 28th May 2013 01:12 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome