Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio Mk2 whine/hum

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 4th June 2013 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Clio Mk2 whine/hum

Evening all,
Recently picked up a 52 plate 1.2 Clio Extreme.
Had a few problems, but took a gamble!
Sorted the airbag light (already knew about the wiring problems!).
Sorted the ABS light. One driveshaft had no ABS reluctor ring, the other was very rusty. 4 each off ebay and job done.
There was however a noise when i was bringing it home. (Bought at auction so no test drive....)
There was a bit of play in front bearings, nearside in particular, so i decided to get them both done. Play is gone, but noise still there.
I've double checked rears, but they spin freely, and no play in either wheel.
To my mind, that says bearings unlikely to be the problem, however if anyone knows better with Renaults i welcome the input!
Doesn't seem to be any other play in front end. Driveshafts seem ok, as my only other thought was driveshaft CV joints. The noise doesn't seem to increase/decrease on bends however which normally gives a clue on CV joints i think.
The question now is whether i get a couple of driveshafts (not expensive on ebay ), or whether i get the rear bearings done?
The whine/hum is only when moving, and increases with speed, however it is hard to pinpoint front/rear.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Currently in mattau's garage:
2002 Clio 1.2 Extreme
  5 Lastest Threads by mattau
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Clio Mk2 whine/hum Brakes/Hubs mcewan 3 807 4th June 2013 05:54 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome