Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Fail to prepare, prepare to fail...

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 7th July 2013 Thread Starter
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Re: Fail to prepare, prepare to fail...

Originally Posted by Renoir White View Post
Would I be right in saying that most of us are far too timid in rubbing down paint when spraying. Up till now I've only ever sanded the base coat to obtain a key and then sprayed several coats of paint one of top of the other without any flattening off.
I went from 120-grit up to 600 (in 5 stages) to remove the scratches, and once I could feel no distinction between where I'd been working and the remainder of the panel - I knew it'd be fine.

In all honesty, my main focus is sanding the primer (I had to use etch and regular grey primer today as some metal was bared).

The basecoat (colour) coats go on fairly evenly (I don't rub those down), then a half-coat of lacquer, followed by 3 coats wet-on-wet (using the heatgun on the final coat).

No masking off either - I use a board held between the can & the panel to blend my paint with what's on the car.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
The Following User Says Thank You to VelSatisfied For This Useful Post:
Renoir White (8th July 2013)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome