Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Pricing advice/help

View Single Post
post #18 of (permalink) Old 12th July 2013
Renoir White
Platinum Member located in the UK
Technical Supremo
Nominated 9 Times in 16 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 32
Thanked 1,445 Times in 1,200 Posts
Re: Pricing advice/help

@boy17 It does sound like you've had a very disappointing experience with your repair. I believe metallic finishes are much harder to blend in and with the bonnet laying flat it reflects the light in a different way to the upright body panels. Maybe that's why the whole of the bonnet had to be resprayed and perhaps you should have been advised of any mis-match possibility before the job was done. But your repair was still 's cheaper than if you had to have the whole car resprayed in the process, or would you have rather paid for this too?
I understand what you mean by saying the damage is 'still there' but that doesn't apply to everything - paint scratches are rubbed out and refinished, dents can be pulled out and the panel reshaped with the correct tools, or if access is impossible or there is a deep crease then I guess it does require a combination of reshaping metal and an application of filler to re-establish the contours and surface.
But like everything which involves a craft, the final result is down to the skill, knowledge, and technique of the person to carry out the job.
SMART repairs are cost effective localised repairs, not bodge jobs.
If that is your opinion I suspect you will put your car straight into a full bodyshop and pay the price the next occasion (I hope there won't be)you collect a small dent or scratch.
Currently in Renoir White's garage:
Renault Trafic 1.7 Petrol Vauxhall Astra 1.4i & in bits Triumph Bonneville T140E & H-D XLH1200
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome