Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2001 1.2 16V (New Shape) juddering under breaking

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 14th July 2013
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Clio 2001 1.2 16V (New Shape) juddering under breaking

Originally Posted by DTB1996 View Post
Since I bought the car I have had noticeable juddering under breaking. Its coming from the front and not the rear which makes me think its something to do with the disk breaks as the rear are drums. Got some new break pads today and put those on but the old ones look like they have been changed recently. There was a fair amount of build up on the edges of the disks so I cleaned that but the noise still persists. The next thing I am going to change is the disks themselves. If that doesn't work then I have no idea. If anybody knows what this could be or how I could fix it, it would be great. Bearings maybe? I have no idea. Its my first car so I'm not extremely mechanical but I will do my best.

could be a disc warped, idealy you should replace the pads when fitting new discs. its a relativley easy job to do.
undo the 2 torx 40 bolts that are visible on the disc by the wheel stud holes, strike them with a hammer a few times first though to free the threads. then undo the 2 18mm bolts holding the caliper to the stub axle and remove the caliper, you then knock the disk off with a hammer.
replace the new discs but when refitting the calipers use thread lock on the caliper bolts.
just a note to that you should clean up the face of the stub axle before putting the new discs on. make sure it is clean with no rust, you can also apply a thin smear of copper grease to the surfaces too but make sure none of the grease comes into contact with the disc surfaces where the pads bite!
Currently in woodster's garage:
2004 clio, Rolls Royce silver spur, ford explorer, transit tipper, toyota hiace, rover 75 tourer
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome