Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Hands Free card entry

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 31st October 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by gollycrush View Post
i can connect when it asks for a Number,( Asking for a voice tag number if thats what you mean ) saying 4, i have just tried it for you.
I think that bit works (saying '4' to a menu.) I've never tried it with the phone book, but it always works with 'previous destinations.'

I've had problems with it confusing voice contacts too. I found the simple solution was to voice tag everyone with their full name (even friends and family.) I suppose you could get two people with similar sounding full names, but it's a lot less likely than if you're just going off first names.

The problem I have is when you say "Phone Enter" at the voice prompt. This should bring a freeform number entry screen up, which allows you to recite a number from memory. You can enter numbers singularly or in small groups (e.g. if you say "zero one five one" fairly slowly but deliberately, it should pick that up as "0151") or you can wait for the beep between each digit and you'll end up with "0 1 5 1"

The problem I have then is that it won't recognise the number '4' in this context. Most of the time it comes out as either 'zero' or 'zero zero.'

Also, another quick question. Have you worked out how to edit someone's name when you've added a number from the recent caller list rather than Bluetooth? I can't find any way of doing this on mine. It'd be nice to be able to edit the names on Bluetooth'd contacts too. I have a Nokia phone, and this reverses first name and surname when it sends stuff to most other devices (I get the same problem when transferring contacts from the Nokia to my Motorola.)

I don't know if you've studied the manual, or like me, learned just enough to get by. If the latter, then here's some of the commands I actually find useful. If you have any to add, then by all means let me know and I'll give them a try once my button is fixed.

"Full Map" - switches to 2D map view
"Birdview" - switches back to the 3D map view
"Zoom Level X" (where X is a number) - zoom in and out on the map
"Destination X" (where X is a category name, such as "Hotel" or "Car Park")
"Previous Destination" - Really handy if you're going somewhere you've visited recently. Choose the destination by number.
"Voice on" and "Voice off" - For when you need her to speak to you, and for when she's getting on your nerves (Officially this one's "Voice guidance on/off" but you don't need to say 'guidance.'

If you do a lot of motorway driving, then it's worth having "Rest Areas" on your quickstop list. If you need fuel or lunch, then you can just add a "quickstop" to set it as a waypoint on your existing route.

Originally Posted by WhoRU View Post
I have been looking into this over the last week. My dealer, and others too, are happy to carry out the work at a cost of around an hours labour, but I think it should be free because the handbook and advertising blurb I have seen says any door will unlock handsfree.

After no joy at the dealers, I called Renault Customer Services this week and they told me that Thatcham required them to restrict the hands free function to the drivers door in the UK. They say that any dealer can reprogramme the system at a cost, but it may invalidate insurance! How true this is, I donīt know but itīs a bit of a cheek. Whatīs the point of fitting 4/5 sensors if only one will ever work? My mate has a 3dr Megane, and both his doors work handsfree. Canīt see the logic.
Either that's complete and utter cobblers, or Renault have changed their tune since I had mine done.

At one point, they were supposed to be shipping the cars with 'selective unlocking' disabled. Ones (like mine) that weren't sent out like that had supposedly slipped through the net.

I rang round several dealers and got responses similar to yours. Some (mentioning no names) even insisted on thinking that I was asking to have hands-free enabled on a car that wasn't designed to have it.

If you're anywhere near the North West, then Lewis Reed in Prenton finally sorted it for me. There was some debate over whether it should be chargeable, but they ultimately agreed to do it under warranty.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome