post #1 of (permalink) Old 20th July 2013 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 17 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,014 Posts
Lumpy paint

Specifically for metallic finishes:
which is wot Im interested in

The finish,even on a brand new car is not mirror flat.
Shine a light source on the paint and the edges are rough.
What is the effect?

Is the "base coat" flat with metallic particles on the outer layer,if the paint is applied properly and its the lacquer layer that is "lumpy" to allow sufficient thickness for sanding/clay bar/mild cutting.

Or are both layers mildly lumpy?

In other words :
1. is the lacquer layer "lumpy" to provide enough thickess to remove minor blemishes without going thru to the base or is both base and lacquer lumpy?

A couple of months ago I got some surface scratches from,more than likely, some cheap ass at lidl picking up a cardboard box for their groceries.
Then using my car as a rough rest to hold their box while fiddling with getting their car doors open.

I thought I had removed all scratches, except one very heavy one, but today in bright sunlight,I could see allmost every individual scratch,at an angle

A bit "****" maybe but.

Is it better to cut a scratched area heavily first with a more abrasive polish and then polish up or use a very mild cut on the lacquer from the start, if youre sure the damage hasnt gone thru the lacquer?.

Im just wondering that if you start off too fine will you just be cutting valleys and rounding off the peaks..if that makes sense?.

Maybe its just a "experience/judgement call"
Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.
  5 Lastest Threads by coup
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Cheese factory explosion in France Jokes & funny stuff coup 0 187 6th July 2016 07:48 AM
Meg 3 fuel flap Electronics A55ii 4 209 1st July 2016 09:11 AM
conflict resolution, zohan method YouTube coup 0 247 8th March 2016 08:26 PM
Our Babs..sorry I missed a couple of o's Jokes & funny stuff Dancingdad 4 309 2nd March 2016 10:12 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome