Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio 2 ABS module/ECU swap

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 20th July 2013 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Clio 2 ABS module/ECU swap

My dads bought a 2002/3 clio 1.2 16v but failed to notice the ABS light didnt light up when you put the ignition on and assumed the SERV light meant it was due a service.

Anyway. Im tasked with trying to resolve the issue.

When you put the key in the car start it the SERV light is on. When you let the handbrake off it stays on. I know this is not correct because we have 2 other clios 2's in the family. Im suspecting this is related to the ABS light mysteriously not working.

Ive not been able to have the fault codes read from the ABS unit as my own code readers wont read it and my dads skint so im trying to do it on the cheap. Ive got an oscilloscope so I can check all of the wheel sensors and checks for cracked rings. Ill check the sensors by disconnecting the ABS module plug and testing here to rule out wiring faults. I need to also check the live feeds and earth to the module. I have a wiring diagram for this so its a easy check.

My feeling is that its not a cracked ring as the SERV lights on from start before the cars even moved. My only thought is that it could be damaged/unconnected ABS sensor which will show with the scope or the ABS control units knackered.

This brings me to the question - If I was to fit a control unit from the same car is it plug and play or does it want coding to the car? Am I right in thinking that the coding only refers to tyre size and VIN. Does the VIN actually matter.

Im new to repairing these Renaults so im not sure on how the modules are linked to each other. I know on vauxhalls that the VIN in certain modules isnt relevent..

Any help gratefully received.
  5 Lastest Threads by marks152
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Clio offside driveshaft replacement Transmissions marks152 13 2124 28th November 2014 01:21 PM
Clio D4F fault code - P0225 Electronics marks152 8 3356 2nd April 2014 09:29 AM
immobiliser light stays on Electronics marks152 6 2113 29th March 2014 12:14 PM
Clio D4F inlet manifold removal Engines marks152 2 1324 17th March 2014 05:01 PM
What sensor is this? Electronics marks152 29 3438 8th March 2014 09:55 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome