Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - UK`s biggest rip off

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 3rd November 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
I just love the way those at the top cherry-pick from the EU and the metric system. Anything that will cost the public money (re-labelling supermarket produce, changing the way fuel is measured and sold) gets the thumbs up. Anything that would cost the government money (changing all distance and speed signs on the roads from miles to kilometers) mysteriously falls by the wayside.

I've always said that the move from selling fuel in gallons to selling it in litres was just a cynical ploy to hide the rising prices. Now that we're all wise to just how much a litre is, maybe they should replace it with another even smaller measurement.

95 RON Unleaded anyone? Only 15.9p per spurt

And while we're at it, why can't we get rid of this '.9' nonsense once and for all?

Back to the original subject: I've just learned to think in 'tanks' rather than 'litres' or 'gallons' - I know my tank will take between 50 and 60 litres when I've run it down to reserve, so I tend to take the pence difference as pounds, then halve it. 3p a litre becomes roughly 1.50 a tank.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome