Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Parliamentary watchdogs are to look at raising the driving age

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 5th November 2006
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
I think that raising the minimum age to drive a car is a good idea,but it can't see it will cut deaths...

If youngsters can't start learning to drive a car until they're 18,this means that they will have to all have scooters for longer,which is even more dangerous than driving a car(for them,anyway...).

The best way to cut deaths amongst young people is to improve the test and add night driving,motorway driving and skid training.Also,limit them to cars under 1300cc for 2 years,and to the number of passengers they can carry.Also make it compulsary to take a refresher test after 6 months of driving.If this is failed,then you have to start all over again.

I can remember the first time I went out on my own after passing my test,and I really didn't have a clue as to what I was doing.After a few months,I got the hang of it and then drove like a complete d#ckhead for the next few years because I thought I was invincible!.I see this in so many other younger drivers,especially the apprentices we have had at work.I know it looks like people pick on younger drivers,but it a FACT that young men are the worst of all the groups that drive.

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome