Join Date: Sep 2005
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To scrap or not to scrap - that is the question!
I have a 1994 Espace 2.1D (was TD, but is now running courtesy of an engine transplant from an R21 2.1D) that has been the bane of the last year and a half of my life!
As soon as I fix one problem, another one rears it's ugly head to keep my stress levels at an optimum peak level (and my bank account nice and empty!)
Following the heinous death of the original engine, the MoT required new brake pipes, steering rack arms and a few bushes here and there.
I've used the car for about 8 months now, and the following is an up-to-the minute list of all that's currently wrong with it:
1. Heater blowing cold air (ace in the summer, not so funny now it's November...)
2. Rear wiper only works when it feels like it.
3. Heater control illumination not...er...illuminating.
4. An apparent appetite for clutch cables. (Now on my 3rd in 6 months)
5. Front n/s suspension rattling - suspect wishbone bushes.
6. REALLY irritating rattle from rear axle area whenever I go over a bump. (Searched more times that I care to recall to find it...)
7. Leaking sunroof seals.
8. Needs new glow plugs as it's a right ***** to start from cold.
9. Generally more gutless than a Yugo 45 towing a caravan. (But that's down to the lack of a turbocharger, so I've only myself to blame for that one...)
Suffice to say I'm pretty much at my wit's end now with the whole Espace experience, as the only plus points are the 7 seats (I have a big family), 50+ MPG, the 16" Scenic alloys and the Sony/Pioneer sound system.
So, do I pour yet more sweat, blood, tears, time and money into keeping her on the road, or cut my losses and palm her off to the highest bidder on that well known internet auction site and let her become someone else's headache? I've even contemplated driving her to the scrap yard...
Any advice/opinions/cash offers gratefully received!
Thanks for reading...
Currently in stiffy's garage:
1994 Renault Espace 2.1D