Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - To scrap or not to scrap - that is the question!

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 9th November 2006 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Red face To scrap or not to scrap - that is the question!

Fellow forumers!
I have a 1994 Espace 2.1D (was TD, but is now running courtesy of an engine transplant from an R21 2.1D) that has been the bane of the last year and a half of my life!
As soon as I fix one problem, another one rears it's ugly head to keep my stress levels at an optimum peak level (and my bank account nice and empty!)

Following the heinous death of the original engine, the MoT required new brake pipes, steering rack arms and a few bushes here and there.

I've used the car for about 8 months now, and the following is an up-to-the minute list of all that's currently wrong with it:

1. Heater blowing cold air (ace in the summer, not so funny now it's November...)
2. Rear wiper only works when it feels like it.
3. Heater control illumination
4. An apparent appetite for clutch cables. (Now on my 3rd in 6 months)
5. Front n/s suspension rattling - suspect wishbone bushes.
6. REALLY irritating rattle from rear axle area whenever I go over a bump. (Searched more times that I care to recall to find it...)
7. Leaking sunroof seals.
8. Needs new glow plugs as it's a right ***** to start from cold.
9. Generally more gutless than a Yugo 45 towing a caravan. (But that's down to the lack of a turbocharger, so I've only myself to blame for that one...)

Suffice to say I'm pretty much at my wit's end now with the whole Espace experience, as the only plus points are the 7 seats (I have a big family), 50+ MPG, the 16" Scenic alloys and the Sony/Pioneer sound system.

So, do I pour yet more sweat, blood, tears, time and money into keeping her on the road, or cut my losses and palm her off to the highest bidder on that well known internet auction site and let her become someone else's headache? I've even contemplated driving her to the scrap yard...

Any advice/opinions/cash offers gratefully received!

Thanks for reading...
Currently in stiffy's garage:
1994 Renault Espace 2.1D
  5 Lastest Threads by stiffy
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
To scrap or not to scrap - that is the question! Cars & motoring peanuts 11 2516 9th November 2006 06:18 PM
Replacing Espace 1994 Heater Dials Lights Electronics stiffy 2 866 7th November 2006 08:36 PM
Espace Diesel Heating problems - HELP! Heating & cooling splitter1 10 3434 23rd October 2006 09:08 PM
2.1D (NOT TD) gutless engine in my Espace - HELP! Engines Lagdti 1 1044 24th June 2006 10:32 PM
Espace 2.1 TD headache! HELP!!! Engines maddan 8 2567 23rd September 2005 03:54 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome