: Megane 1.5 DCi 106 - Poor fuel consumption.

AlexR88
21st February 2011, 10:10 PM
Hello to everyone.

Has anybody got any ideas why I am getting poor fuel consumption from my Megane III DCi. Driving carefully I can get around 45mpg however, the official documents state that it should be more like 60mpg. I have done over 1000 miles now and still no change?

Thanks in advance.

Alex

FoxOkay
21st February 2011, 10:26 PM
What your getting sound's about right. The 1.5 dCi 80 Megane we have here get's 49.9 MPG around town.

Azurael
22nd February 2011, 03:24 PM
Also, if it's a new car (not sure if that's what you meant by "I have done over 1000 miles now") you won't get the best economy from the engine for a few thousand miles yet. It sounds like you're 'in the ballpark' with the economy figures you're getting so I'd wait and see.

mowgli
22nd February 2011, 07:56 PM
My Megane 1.6Dci has done 4000 miles and I am currently getting 50mpg from a mix of town and motorway driving, going down to Cornwall at the weekend so will see what I get on a run. :)

rbwinstanley
12th April 2011, 07:04 PM
My Megane III 1.5 Dci 106 (12K miles on the clock) has been into Renault today because of my issues with the fuel economy. I've averaged 41mpg over the last 3000 miles and I am not a boy racer. Granted I don't do 57 mph on the motorway, but I try to drive with a light foot but consider my driving is more typical and real world. I do around 50/50 motorway and around town but don't excessively hit traffic as I start early & finish late.
I replaced a similar petrol model with the diesel to minimise fuel costs and get barely any benefit that I can see.
Renault told me the fuel economy was normal & acceptable, but I don't agree.
The figures for this car are supposedly better than the diesel Clio I had 18 months ago and I was getting around 55mpg from that.
Just before getting this car I borrowed a Mondeo for a couple of months that I also got around 55mpg from, so how can 41mpg be acceptable? The car has an ECO sticker in the rear window for pity's sake!
Having been given the elbow by the dealer and now having read people saying that it is normal I really don't know where to take this?

mowgli
12th April 2011, 07:16 PM
Hi,

My Megane has now done 7000 miles and is averaging about 55mpg, its nearly the same as what I used to out of my Clio 86Dci.

Are you using the computer or working it out between fills??

I am not sure where you can go with this, you could try Renault UK customer services.

rbwinstanley
13th April 2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks for your reply Mowgli.
I've done both and the trip computer doesn't seem far out versus real life calculations.
I do around 120 miles commute per week Mon-Fri and usually less than that at weekends. Probably around 150 miles per week on average. A full tank lasts me 3 weeks if I'm lucky, which by my calculations is even less than 41mpg.
I don't drive like a 70 year old, but also don't drive like a 21 year old. I would be content with 55mpg (a 36% improvement on my current economy).
By my calculations I would save around £25 per month if I could achieve 55mpg.
Renault UK Customer Services is worth a try.
I also have a drive to North Wales next week, so we'll see how she fares on the Motorway. I'm sure she won't approach the 70.6 extra urban quoted figures!

Rentech
16th April 2011, 11:24 PM
I am now aware of a Renault actis solution which involves the adjustment of the injectors position, symptoms can be harsh noise and black smoke on start up and fuel economy. It involves loosening the injectors and turning them slightly to improve the spray pattern to improve combustion. May be worth mentioning to Renault.

rbwinstanley
20th April 2011, 08:31 AM
Hi Rentech and thanks for your input. I will mention this to Renault UK when I next speak to them.
I do get quite a lot of smoke on starting up - especially the first time in the day. I have also noticed more (rattly, vibrational & throaty) noise than I would expect from a car that has only done 12000 miles.
I hope that Renault will take it in the spirit it is intended rather than me telling them how to do their job.
I am currently dealing with Renault UK Customer Services about the matter so will post updates as and when.
Thanks again everyone for your help & advice.

mowgli
23rd April 2011, 06:17 PM
Have just completed a round trip from Kent to Cumbria and averaged 59mpg on motorway and around the peak district.

rbwinstanley
5th May 2011, 05:02 PM
Thanks Mowgi.

I just did a round trip to North Wales and used the Cruise Control to drive around 70mpg on the motorway and 50mph on the A roads. I had really good journeys - missing most of the traffic and still only averaged 48mpg. I did very little driving that was not either Motorway or A roads so feel that I should have been getting figures more in line with, if not better than yours.

I'm now getting my car booked back in but under the scrutiny of Renault UK. Hopefully they will take my situation a little more seriously this time!?

Watch this space...

AO55RKE
5th May 2011, 08:44 PM
I got a megane oasis hatch II 86dci and having 4 adults and a full boot up to scotland (yes i mean right in the highlands :eek::eek:) for a week and back to sunny suffolk was brilliant :d, 55mpg average!!! the motor does bout 50mpg round town, 41mpg does sound low.... but as above if it is like you say "done only 1000 miles from new" give it time ;)

rbwinstanley
11th May 2011, 05:46 PM
Hi All,

Just to clarify, my Megane has done around 12,600 miles, not 1,000 miles so I think it is "run in" by now.

Anyway, here is my update. The car has been back with Renault Stockport (Lookers) today. They have confirmed that there is "no fault" with the car, although they do agree that achieving fuel economy in the low 40's does not seem correct against a combined claim of 62mpg in the brochure. On a 14 mile test drive Renault claimed to achieve 44mpg (although the trip said 40.6mpg when they handed it back). This mpg apparently tallies with the other three Megane 1.5Dci 106ís that they had on site.

Both Lookers and Renault UK have advised that there is no apparent fault with the car. Lookers said that there was no Actis solution for fuel consumption when they entered my VIN number. I tried to steer them in the direction of the Actis solution advised by Rentech but they said it was not for my car and that there was little or no adjustment that could be made to my engine to improve matters.

Renault UK could offer little extra help, other than re-iterating the blurb about driving conditions, journey type, driving style, tyre pressure, air con etc. I've been over these factors about 50 times it seems. They said I could either:
1. Continue to monitor my fuel consumptions. (I've been doing this for the 10 months since I bought the car).
2. Return it to Lookers for further investigation. (Lookers have advised that they have exhausted every avenue available to them and that they can only escalate if they identify a fault that they can not fix. They have not found a fault with the car, so I can't see that this would yield any benefit).
3. Book it in with a different dealership for a second opinion. (This looks like my only option, but would mean me losing more time at work as other dealerships are much further away and most don't open until 8am. I generally start work between 7:30 and 7:45 and leave after 6pm. Don't tell the boss that I'm posting this from my desk!).

I explained to them that people on this forum were achieving 55-59mpg with the same car and asked how there could be such a massive difference in performance. They could not offer any explanation.

The last 5 cars Iíve owned have all been Renault and I love this car (other than the cost of running it). Had I known that I would only get 41mpg from her, I would not have spent the extra to replace my newer petrol Megane Dynamique which I recall was getting around 36-37mpg.

I don't know what other owners think or what options are left open to me other than trying to drag Renaultís name through the mud to get something done (something Iíd rather not do).
:confused:

Rentech
12th May 2011, 11:05 AM
My car is booked in on Tuesday to have the injectors turned, I am currently getting 45mpg driving round sunny Wales, and on a run at a steady 70 mph can get no more, so I am still not happy. What bugs me is I could have bought a V70 volvo and still get the same MPG as i work on a lot of theese, or a Audi A4 tdi 2.0ltr and get 10 mpg more. I will keep you informed. The problem is that most main dealers can't be bothered to get into the nitty gritty stuff. As i have my own clip I have noted that the alternator runs at 45% load all the time and in a morning the windscreen has started to demist itself above the heater vents so i am sure the 1000 watt heater is not switching off all the time. The problem is, is that the new bonier three software clip uses for these models gives you far less information on the running parameters as the bonnier 2 it replaced making it harder for technicians with a bit of know to see what's is going on.

madnoel10
12th May 2011, 03:28 PM
My car is booked in on Tuesday to have the injectors turned, I am currently getting 45mpg driving round sunny Wales, and on a run at a steady 70 mph can get no more, so I am still not happy. What bugs me is I could have bought a V70 volvo and still get the same MPG as i work on a lot of theese, or a Audi A4 tdi 2.0ltr and get 10 mpg more. I will keep you informed. The problem is that most main dealers can't be bothered to get into the nitty gritty stuff. As i have my own clip I have noted that the alternator runs at 45% load all the time and in a morning the windscreen has started to demist itself above the heater vents so i am sure the 1000 watt heater is not switching off all the time. The problem is, is that the new bonier three software clip uses for these models gives you far less information on the running parameters as the bonnier 2 it replaced making it harder for technicians with a bit of know to see what's is going on.

Is this high wattage heater similar to Renaults thermo-plunger coolant heater system?:)

alba
12th May 2011, 04:54 PM
I have a Dec 2010 Megane Sports Tourer 1.5 DCI 106.

I have almost covered 1000 miles from new.

My MPG on minor country roads is around 56mpg.

Stop start town driving is about 32 mpg.

Hope this helps.

Rentech
12th May 2011, 05:54 PM
sort of same as Scenic 11 Megane 11 and Espace 1V, looks like a small radiator with heating element, but is in the air circuit as opposed to being in the water circuit.

Rentech
30th May 2011, 09:00 PM
Just a update, I had the injectors turned and noe I am returning around 54mpg on a steady 70mph and around 48 around the lanes and town driving. That said the car is going as I have just been informed that the vibration i am experiencing is the start of the dual mass flywheel breaking up. not bad for 6000 miles. Going tomorrow getting a insignia instead 2.0 ctdi, road tested for 50 miles, more power smother and 50 plus to gallon 20k service interval and only 40 pound more a year to tax

Peter perfect
5th July 2011, 08:16 PM
renault megane coupe 1.5 dci 106, 59.5 mpg. I do 60 miles round trip to work and have not slipped below 59 mpg at any time. For the size of car thats great!:d:crazy:

nurkov
6th July 2011, 04:21 PM
Megane 55 plate 1.5 dci estate with 106 bhp so engine identical or nearly identical to the current one right now I am getting 52 mpg combined. I know that I can get better result driving it carefully but do not see a point.

doubled
11th August 2011, 09:33 PM
think you have a dud there pal. i have a 58plate megane III 1.5.DCI 106hp and im getting 59 mpg combined.as to what you can do about yours i dont really know but keep talking to renault uk and let them come up with the answers for you..i really hope you get this problem sorted..keep us updated..:cool:..keep cool

rbwinstanley
22nd February 2012, 01:30 PM
Hi All,
Glad to see that my problem is "isolated". Although having had many visits to various Renault dealerships and conversations with Renault UK Customer Services, you would think otherwise.
I have been assured that a combined mpg in the mid 40's is acceptable and despite my protests and persistance the best I've been offered is to take up my problem with the Ombudsman.
Unfortunately I don't have the time to do this.
I love the car (other than the mpg and the rain sensing wipers having a mind of their own) and I have also bought a spare set of alloys that I use with winter tyres.
I think that my best plan is to trade it in and get another (nearly new) Megane and hope that I fare better.
If this new one returns similar mpg I will not be happy.
Just to add, I've now done almost 20K miles and I recently reset my trip counter and I'm averaging 41mpg over the last 300 miles (my typical 50/50 mix of motorway and town driving). I do have my winter tyres on at the moment though which seems to drop my mpg even further.
Ho hum.....

TazzyK
22nd February 2012, 04:03 PM
I have a Dec 2010 Megane Sports Tourer 1.5 DCI 106.

I have almost covered 1000 miles from new.

My MPG on minor country roads is around 56mpg.

Stop start town driving is about 32 mpg.

Hope this helps.

This is the same as mine, except mine is an older Megane (2005). Local driving is very short journeys, and stop starts - average 30-32mpg. Motorways, well the highest I've had is 61.2mpg, but that sort of mpg largely depends on your moves after filling up, i.e. if you hit a long run straight away, it helps the computer's average calculation, but if you get stuck in traffic, the average is affected (at least that's what I've found).

The 61.2mpg that I got was filling up, straight onto the motorway off an A-road, and then driving like a granny at 60mph - Birmingham - Manchester and back and the needle barely moved from 'F'

drpau
7th March 2012, 10:28 PM
10 plate 106 dci Megane 12k on clock. Ive got 49.5mpg. This is on my route to work which is ~7miles to work country lane 40-50 followed by ~15 miles motorway ~75mph. So quite a way off the combined figure and I would say this journey is more extra urban type conditions (do little town driving on top of this, wife may take it out 2-3 times a week at lunch to nip to the shop). So thought would be a bit better on fuel than this. How much does the cool weather affect (although its a bit warmer now than it has been)? A/C is always off. Auto lights always on. Tyre pressures set according to Renault.
My mate reckons he gets 55mpg out of his 57 plate 2.0 tdi Passat which should be thirstier and is certainly heavier (his commute is almost identical).

drpau
11th March 2012, 05:11 PM
Hmm following my last post I decided to test. The car was well warmed up, got on the motorway, set cruise at 75, reset mpg. Ten miles on the flat mpg reading was 66. Entered a 50mph zone (more roadworks :mad: ), Mpg rose to 70 odd. Continued on the journey (120miles) and suppose its no surprise that in the sections of m62 where theres a lot of uphill the mpg took a battering. So I think its very much a function of where you are geographically. If you are unlucky and live in a bit of a hilly area then the mpg is much worse than a flat one. My drive to work of a morning is a bit hilly like that.

redade
28th March 2012, 09:28 PM
hi, i have a 2010 megane 1.5 dci 106. 12000k on the clock and bought it with 10k in january.

my average mpg on the trip computer is 47.0... however my journey to work is 8 miles on the motorway each way and 2 miles urban so a 20mile round trip a day.

When i fill from empty (when the light comes on) it costs £75.0 and i only fill up once a month achieving 560miles per tank?

but as previously stated if i reset the trip while on a run on the motorway it goes up considerably.

hope this helps:loser:

whatachef
24th April 2012, 12:28 PM
hi, i have a 2010 megane 1.5 dci 106. 12000k on the clock and bought it with 10k in january.

my average mpg on the trip computer is 47.0... however my journey to work is 8 miles on the motorway each way and 2 miles urban so a 20mile round trip a day.

When i fill from empty (when the light comes on) it costs £75.0 and i only fill up once a month achieving 560miles per tank?

but as previously stated if i reset the trip while on a run on the motorway it goes up considerably.

hope this helps:loser:
AlexR88, you're not alone in suffering from this problem. I had a 55 reg 1.5 Megane DCI and loved it, particularly the 63 - 65 mpg which I typically experienced per tank-full and also the excellent torque. About 80 - 90% of my driving is motorway and I'm very light on the pedal. This being the case, after six and a half years, I've just bought a new Megane 3 1.5 DCI and am gutted at struggling to achieve 50mpg! As for torque, I'm almost tempted to say there isn't any!!! My local dealership say there's nothing wrong with the car and, after six weeks of phone calls, Renault customer services now tell me that 50 mpg is OK. With the cost of fuel rising inexorably, I was hoping that car manufacturers might actually be improving fuel efficiency! OK, so now I'm stuck with the Megane 3 for the next however many years; but I'll make it my business to steer friends and colleagues clear of Renault in future. A major disappointment considering how happy I was with the Megane 2.

davidlaw
8th April 2013, 11:28 PM
My Megane III 1.5 Dci 106 (12K miles on the clock) has been into Renault ONCE previously because of my issues with the fuel economy. Owned the car for 3 months now and took car in for first visit after owning for 3 weeks. I've averaged 39mpg over the last 2000 miles over motorways and urban roads and 46 mpg on motorways not exceeding 80MPH. Granted I don't do 70 mph on the motorway, but I try to drive with a light foot but consider my driving is more typical and real world. I replaced a similar 06 1.5DCI model with the SAME engine type diesel to minimise fuel costs. With the 06 plate i got 52 mpg urban and 63 on motorway run.

At wits end now has just done 360 mile trip to cornwall and return achieved 44.2mpg over 153 miles [stopped at services] then carried on journey and got a total 46mpg over a run of 360 miles checked at home destination. I know how to reset fuel trip computer as same as on 06 model and get barely any benefit that I can see. Seriously thinking of trading car in. Dont want to as i have had 6 renaults in total. Has anyone any ideas what i should do?
Renault told me the fuel economy was normal & acceptable, but I don't agree.

coup
9th April 2013, 12:10 AM
Check out here:

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=314

and also here:

http://cars.uk.msn.com/reviews/renault-megane-coupe-month-seven

even tho its naughty on forum rules.

My personal experience .. if you drive diesellike, it will provide diesel economy.

If you go more towards petrol driving style it will go much more towards petrol fuel economy, but not as bad.More so than my last diesel car.

like at 2000 rpm flooring the pedal wont do a lot more than pushing the pedal 1/4 of an inch but will burn diesel. mho.