: Renault Scenic - Unable To Open Rear Door After Using Child Lock

phillh
19th November 2006, 10:45 AM
Hello to everyone...:)

Having searched the net for days I have not found any information regarding the opening of locked rear doors on my scenic.I have had the panels off,pushed , pulled and sworn at the locks but i am still unable to open them.
Interior and exterior handles do not seem to latch.
Its as though they are dead locked.Electrically everything works as it should.Could someone please let me know how to open these things so I can change them.Any info would be a help.I have searched the forum but I have not found a specific article with enough information.

Ivor_E_Tower
19th November 2006, 02:19 PM
the doors are not fitted with deadlocks - if interior and exterior handles are not working, and you have the dorr panels (doorcards) removed, then something must be broken in the lock mechanism. Have you tried looking carefully with a torch inside the doorskins? Are both rear doors affected? Have the child locks majfunctioned? Can you see the child lock mechanism inside the door with the doorcards removed?

phillh
19th November 2006, 08:35 PM
With the panels removed the metal catch for the child locks is not in a position to stop the interior handles.
Both rear doors are identicle, both interior and exterior handles do not seem to catch.
The door actuators work ok, when the the doors lock and unlock everything moves as it should but the locks stay locked.Is there a way of forcing the lock internally.
I could change the locks for good ones. I am stumped, there must be a way of opening the doors without causing any damage to the door. I have read a couple of threads on here were people had a similar problem but no-one has posted the fix they had done.Any info would be appreciated.

justg
19th November 2006, 09:44 PM
The locking/handle rod that attaches to the handle and the locking mechanism will be missing the securing tab/lug, it’s a small white plastic tab that secures the rod to the inner door skin and what happens is it breaks off or comes adrift from the door [due to slaming and poor design] therefore preventing the handle from being able to open the door.

If the tad/lug is missing search the bottom of the door for it as without it the door will not open.

phillh
20th November 2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks for info. Unable to find tab so decided to drop actuator motor and manged to open doors.Theres a hole in the plate and if you push a screwdriver upwards into it, it opens the lock.The doors still lock but wont work on the handles so no real rush to repair.
Thanks again ..Cheers:)

justg
20th November 2006, 01:20 PM
Thanks for info.No problem

I still believe that the securing tab is the culprit, try visiting a breakers yard to obtain the tab and to double check the lay out and location of it.

smeeinit
9th January 2007, 10:56 PM
:mad:
so ive put the child lock on one of the rear doors and now the bloody thing wont open atall from inside or out :mad:
any suggestions?
really anooying as im a childminder and for obvious reasons cant take children out in a car when the bloody door wont open! :steam:

bonedavid
9th January 2007, 11:04 PM
:mad:
so ive put the child lock on one of the rear doors and now the bloody thing wont open atall from inside or out :mad:
any suggestions?
really anooying as im a childminder and for obvious reasons cant take children out in a car when the bloody door wont open! :steam:
(Edited by Lagdti-Link removed as threads are now merged)

If this is not useful try a forum search (http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/search.php) as there have been many posts on this issue.

Lagdti
9th July 2007, 09:04 PM
Just thought I'd 'bump' this thread as it seems that this is a common complaint at the moment.:)

alin31ro
28th March 2010, 03:23 PM
Hello everybody,I have a similar problem.All of a sudden,I can not open both back doors from inside,but only from outside.The doors usually lock after a few seconds and I've never had any troubles for getting out using front or back doors.Do you guys think it is something to do with that automatic switch which locks the doors after a few seconds after you started driving?How could I fix my problem?Thank you in advance.

Bodincus
1st May 2010, 09:20 PM
I had one of my Megane Scenic Mark I rear door lock fail suddenly. Here's what happened...

Doors closed, and then locked with the plip in the evening.
In the morning, the lock for the O/S rear door won't open. The actuator was trying to open the lock, but no success.
Door could not be opened from inside or outside, handles won't catch.
Impossible to open the door, so impossible to take the lock out. Catch 22.

...and how I sorted it:

Seat removed, door card removed, a bit of jiggery-pokery, push and pull, nothing worked.
Removed all the three rods to have a bit of room to move (external handle, internal handle, manual unlock tab).
Removed the white plastic anti-tamper protection prising with a long blade screwdriver on the three tabs (see following pic)

http://www.msnetweb.webspace.virginmedia.com/Renault/Clip.jpg

Pulled out the white plastic bit out of the way.
Now you need something long, extremely stiff and pointy. I used a small head philips screwdriver with a 10 inch blade. It has to be sharp, or you won't be able to fir it in the small gap I'm going to show you.
Below, there's the lock in the locked position. Note the brass round bit on the bottom right.

http://www.msnetweb.webspace.virginmedia.com/Renault/Locked.jpg

Now for the trick: use that pointy thing and push in that position in the direction of the arrow.

http://www.msnetweb.webspace.virginmedia.com/Renault/Unlock.jpg

The lock will click and unlock, see following pic:

http://www.msnetweb.webspace.virginmedia.com/Renault/Unlocked.jpg

Note how the round brass bit has moved to the top. The door is now unlocked - you should hav heard the lock click, you can open it!

Instructions and pictures are for the O/S rear door, mirror it if it's the N/S door. You need a lot of patience. Be careful, the space there is tight and some bodywork edges can be nasty. Cheers!

Matthew_1991
31st July 2010, 10:29 PM
Hello

I just bought a 2001 Megane

I can't seem to be able to open one of the back doors :/ Tried from inside and outside, no lock :/

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers!

Matthew_1991
5th August 2010, 06:12 PM
This forum is not really helpful is it?

Devils Laguna
5th August 2010, 06:43 PM
have you bothered to try using the seach facilitiy? or tried reading through a few threads with similar problems?

you've piggy backed onto an old thread with a few answers/suggestions, did you read the post directly before yours? It seems to tell you what to try

akapooley
17th August 2010, 08:00 PM
Hi, Thanks for the info and the pics. A Garage wanted to charge me £60 to open the rear doors plus £98 for each new lock:eek:. It took my about 1 hour to do the first door as i couldnt locate the hole!! It the took me about 20 mins to do the second. I got 2 locks from the scrap yard for £15 each and fitted them myself.:d

Raynult
16th March 2011, 03:26 PM
I've just had this issue, with a 2002 Megane hatch, it may help you out.

Couldn't open the rear offside door. It may also be good for other Renault models if they use the same door mechanisms.

The reason I couldn't open the door :- Child lock was on, external handle connection broken.

First point of attack, I found it here on the forum, is to release the child lock. You can use what ever comes to hand but I cut the longest side out of a 1 litre plastic milk carton. You need something akin which is fairly flexible, about 40 cm long and 20-30 cm wide.

Now wind down the window of the offending door, and, from the outside, slide you piece of plastic in as far as it goes, starting from just below the window. Once inserted, try the inside door handle, work your way down the door until released. It shouldn't take more than 2-3 goes.

Before you try to repair the external handle, you'll need a 4mm nut and bolt about an inch or so long. The bolt needs to have a fairly low profile head.

Repairing the outside handle: -

Remove the window winder, it should just pull off, you may need to prise it off with a wide blade screwdriver.

Next, remove the screws from the inner door handle, the door grab in the arm rest and the bottom of the door under the storage pouch. You'll need various sizes of torx drivers, allen keys may do.

Don't remove the inner door handle, you may need it if the door gets closed for whatever reason. Just feed it though the door card as you progress.

The door card is held in place with plastic lugs and mastic. You could use a wide blade screwdriver to prise off the plastic lugs, you may need a sharp knife to cut through the mastic.

Once the door card is removed, you then need to remove the outside door handle. There are a couple of holes, possibly covered with grommets on the inside of the door near the locking mechanism. Prise out the grommets, then unscrew the 2 x 10mm flanged nuts holding the door handle on. Pull the handle out, you'll probably have to pull on the catch as if opening the door to get the handle out.

Once out, look carefully at the inside of the handle, at the part which would normally point to the rear of the car, you should see a shoulder with a small hole in it, this is where the connection to the mechanism was.

Handle removed, look at the locking mechanism from the inside of the door, look at the side nearest the outer door panel. You should see what looks like a funny looking screw, about 3 inches long and it's fairly rough hewn, looks like farmer Jones made it one idle moment. It should also be pointing down.

About 2/3's up from the bottom of this screw you should see/feel (you may need to find it with your fingers) an oddly shaped spring steel attachment perhaps with a small rod poking out of one side. Unscrew this clip, all the way down until it comes away from farmer Jones doodad.

You may have to unbolt the locking mechanism just to give you a bit more room to work with.

This is the device which connects the door handle to the locking mechanism. You should see a small plastic rod, looks a bit like a nail with a square head (note the way it is placed in the clip because the bolt has to go in the same way). This is the bitty bob which is supposed to go into the hole in the door handle to complete the connection. Its probably broken at the end and won't stay in place.

Get your 4mm nut and bolt, put the bolt thought the hole in the spring clip, so that the head is inside the clip, just like the plastic rod was, and bolt it to the hole in the door handle. Check that the head isn't too big so as to stop you putting the spring clip back into place.

It may be best not to tighten the nut and bolt up until you've got everything positioned and connected properly.

Bolt the door handle back into place. Then, with one hand holding farmer Jones doodad in place across the mouth of the spring clip (in the correct position), push it into place using a screw driver via one of the bolt access holes in the door.

Check that it works, then re-assemble your car. It took me about 30 seconds to release the child lock, about 3 hours to effect the repair and re-assemble and half an hour to type this lot up. Good luck.

hungryhippo
27th April 2011, 04:35 PM
I've read through all the threads on this subject of a rear door stuck shut. The lock on my Renault doesn't look like the one in the diagrams and having taken the opposite side off to see how it works, there's no way to get into the lock plate to release the catch. So, any other ideas on how to get the door open?

ascot54
28th April 2011, 10:35 AM
HH,

you need to perservere my friend,, i had same prob with my megane...
child locks were on, door closed on daughters hand, when wife pulled outside handle, it snapped the "plunger" inside the door frame...!!

im quite slim in the arm/hand department so it was fairly easy for me to feel around inside the door frame when panel was removed...

basically, you need to feel from the point where the external handle comes into the door frame, then follow the connecting rod upwards towards the rear of the door..
you will feel a bar with a screw thread on it !! and its fitted with a plastic clip... this clip connects to another rod/plunger which activates/releases the door !!
you should be able to "flick" it down to release the door... then you can gain access to the fittings of the lock...
took me about an hour from start to finish...

hope this helps

andy1458
22nd August 2011, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the comprehensive instructions. I managed with a little adaption (for my 51 plate Mégane Classic) to open my child locked door. Iand sort out the exterior handle opening problem with a small nut and bolt as you suggested; why Renault used plastic instead of a bolt is beyond me! I also took a couple of pictures to aid your instructions, if anyone else is having the same problem.

andy1458
23rd August 2011, 06:47 PM
Hi just to add to my post:
I not only had to replace the plastic push-in piece of s**t with a nut and bolt but There is another badly designed piece of plastic I had to replace to get the 'doodad' to sit in place. Luclily these are called Clip Door Lock
(part #7701030060) and are sold by the main dealer, mine cost £1.24. Beware there are 3 different sizes each colour coded, mine was yellow but according to the parts dept it was not the one supposedly fitted to my car. I convinced him by showing him the old one that had split in two. I've added a couple of more pics to show the doodad and the malfunctioning offending plastic bits.

Hope this helps.

ourcar
23rd August 2011, 07:40 PM
There is another badly designed piece of plastic I had to replace to get the 'doodad' to sit in place. Luclily these are called Clip Door Lock..

...also known as any part made, designed by or fitted to a Renault.

Sour grapes regarding Renault at the moment, so excuse my acidity.:mad:

Annimax
8th May 2012, 11:14 AM
I have the same problem - the plastic holding the "doodad" had broken.
Thanks for all the good info and pics - very helpful! :cool:

RYoung
18th August 2012, 02:39 PM
Thanks to all for the useful info and pictures.

I got a replacement offside rear lock from ebay (£18 inc pp) and replaced a broken one. Everything else worked fine except the lock was out of synch in reverse with the other three doors.

Solved by reversing the green and white wires in the connector going into the lock mechanism. (Thanks to another forum post for the idea)

Renault Scenic 2001 1.9dCi

MattMegane
17th September 2012, 09:59 PM
I've just had this issue, with a 2002 Megane hatch, it may help you out.

Couldn't open the rear offside door. It may also be good for other Renault models if they use the same door mechanisms.

The reason I couldn't open the door :- Child lock was on, external handle connection broken.

First point of attack, I found it here on the forum, is to release the child lock. You can use what ever comes to hand but I cut the longest side out of a 1 litre plastic milk carton. You need something akin which is fairly flexible, about 40 cm long and 20-30 cm wide.

Now wind down the window of the offending door, and, from the outside, slide you piece of plastic in as far as it goes, starting from just below the window. Once inserted, try the inside door handle, work your way down the door until released. It shouldn't take more than 2-3 goes.

I have a 2001 Megane.

Not quite sure what happened, but my drivers side rear door has failed to open from the outside.

You could still open the door from the inside. Me being a fool, I thought this might be the child lock (not thinking) so put the child lock on and now the door is also locked from the inside.

So now I have a door which I can't open!

I have tried your technique with a 2l coke bottle cut into a large flat strip.

I placed this between the window and the outside panel. Tried different parts of the window, up and down trying to release the child lock but with no joy. Also tried briefly on the other side of the window.

Could you give some further instructions/guidance on how you released the door? Am I missing something?

Otherwise, is there any way I can take off the door panel without taking the back seats out?

Thanks,
Matt

Raynult
21st September 2012, 05:23 PM
Hi Matt,

I agree its not really clear from the description. The idea is to push the childlock snib back so as to release the door.

You can either look at the snib on the other rear door, measure or guage the height or as I suggested, start from just below the window on locked door and work your way down, sliding the plastic strip in, between the door and rear panel.
Assuming you have the window down, try the inside handle once you've pushed the strip in each time, you should release it after a couple of goes.

MattMegane
25th September 2012, 06:00 PM
Hi Matt,

I agree its not really clear from the description. The idea is to push the childlock snib back so as to release the door.

You can either look at the snib on the other rear door, measure or guage the height or as I suggested, start from just below the window on locked door and work your way down, sliding the plastic strip in, between the door and rear panel.
Assuming you have the window down, try the inside handle once you've pushed the strip in each time, you should release it after a couple of goes.

I done it!

These pictures may be helpful for others:

Shows the child lock snip in the left position (unlocked).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ll74a5xyvhs8woe/2012-09-24%2013.07.25.jpg

Now obviously with the door closed, I used a cut part of a 2lt bottle folded in half - has to be quite long about 40cm as the plastic has to make a few turns when being pushed in.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2dgv2e6ixjath0p/2012-09-24%2013.07.45.jpg

Good height to start is where the rubber seal ends as pictured.

Thanks for your help Raynult!

mag1970
21st June 2013, 04:39 PM
@<hidden>: you seem to have removed the pictures. Do you still have them?

Raynult
3rd March 2014, 02:43 PM
I know its some time since the last post, but here's a link to another thread which gives you an alternative way to unlock the door.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=181569