: Megane 2007 - Airbag and service lights illuminated.

andyshep
5th June 2012, 07:16 PM
I have a 2007 Megane which has the airbag and service light illuminated constantly. Looking at other threads, they mention to check the wiring under the seats and check connections and possibly spray with some type of contact cleaner. Two things I really need to know: -

Is the underseat cabling a good place to start looking to fix the problem.
If so, can I just disconnect/reconnect any connectors under the seat at anytime (obviously not whilst driving!) or are there any precautions I need to make?
If the above is safe to proceed with and is not successful, is the next course of action to take it to a Renault dealer or can anyone recommend any other checks.?

I believe the lights were originally intermittent coninciding with sliding/moving/siyting in the passenger seat if that is of any further help for diagnosis.

Many thanks in advance.

madnoel10
5th June 2012, 07:20 PM
Disconnect the cars battery for around 30 minutes before working on any air bag connections. This should allow any residual voltage to discharge from the system.

andyshep
5th June 2012, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the quick tip - I assume the only thing I need to do after reconnecting the battery is just the radio code?

Any further comments on the airbag underseat wiring would be greatly appreciated.

TazzyK
5th June 2012, 09:34 PM
If the light has just suddenly come on, then yes check the wiring under the seat (following the precautions given above).

If the light has always been on (i.e. since you bought the car?) check the pre-tensioners haven't fired (a tell-take sign is one of the seat belt buckle's will be shorter than the other).

Other than that, if you get a scraping noise when turning the steering wheel, then you will probably need the rotation spring....

andyshep
6th June 2012, 07:15 PM
The fault code is DF068 - PASSENGER CHEST FRONT SIDE AIRBAG CIRCUIT. Has anyone else had this code. My plan is is to disconnect and reconnect all wiring under the passenger seat. Will the light turn off if a connectivity issue is resolved or will the fault need to be cleared by with a diagnostic tool?

TazzyK
6th June 2012, 08:55 PM
I had a faulty pretensioner which , when I replaced it, turned the light off by itself.

rambobambo
16th October 2012, 06:51 PM
I had a faulty pretensioner which , when I replaced it, turned the light off by itself.
How much did that cost? Did you do it yourself...

vima
16th October 2012, 09:02 PM
Try to reposition the plug on the passenger seat and if all is well the airbag light will go out ..

TazzyK
17th October 2012, 03:47 PM
How much did that cost? Did you do it yourself...

The faulty pretentioner came with the 'new' interior that I bought, so I simply replaced it with the pretentioner from my old seat. Very simple to do, but you have to remove the seat to get to it (following all the precautions for working with airbags etc). The driver's side is slightly different as you also have to disconect the wiring for the seatbelt alarm.

rambobambo
17th October 2012, 04:11 PM
The faulty pretentioner came with the 'new' interior that I bought, so I simply replaced it with the pretentioner from my old seat. Very simple to do, but you have to remove the seat to get to it (following all the precautions for working with airbags etc). The driver's side is slightly different as you also have to disconect the wiring for the seatbelt alarm.

Hi Thanks for the tip... Can i ask you if you could tell me how to identify where the problem could be I do not hjave a reader would a generic OBD II reader work. My car had these problems when I had bought the car, car had been rear ended in the past had dmage to the bumper,...

TazzyK
17th October 2012, 07:26 PM
Visually, the only way to tell if the pretensioner is faulty, is that the buckle for the seatbelt would appear to be shorter on one side (but you'd probably already know this as you or the passenger would have struggled to locate the buckle without looking at it!) - this is designed to happen in a front end impact. The buckle side goes first, and if the impact is severe enough, then the 2nd stage pretensioner on the seatbelt side (nearest the door) goes. The 2nd pretensioner only applies to 5-door versions - the 3-door versions have an anti-submarining airbag in the seat instead. Not sure though if these would be affected in a rear end impact though.

I've also read that some (all??) Meganes have pretensioners in the rear belt mechanism as well. When I changed my interior, I didn't see any wiring to the rear belts so it might just be a mechanical thing rather than electro-mechanical? Without reading the codes, its a bit of a guess. The only other thing to do would be to check all the connections, including the connections on both pretensioners on both seats (if yours is the 5-door version)

bbstoke
17th October 2012, 08:26 PM
My 05 Megane has these lights on,had it diagnosed today and it's circuit one and two,rotation spring behind the wheel. If you turn it both ways whilst stationary and if you can hear a slight scraping noise as if there's a bit of paper (sorry that's the only way I can describe it). Then that's the problem. Part is Renault only and it's 147+vat. Takes about an hour to do so you're probably looking at 250. And has to be reset to take the lights off. Hope this helps

rambobambo
18th October 2012, 06:19 PM
Thanks guys for being so helpful and happy to guide.

I am complete noob when it comes to these things....thus I have more questions: how do I check without and OB II reader yet, that pretensioner is at fault I have checked that the ends of two front setbelts metal parts, that click in appear of equal length and straight. My Car is 5 door, so how do I check the other pretensioner..

Also can I use a normal OBD II reader to check for faults..

Lastly can these things be repaired ourselves...

thanks guys...

TazzyK
19th October 2012, 09:25 AM
If the buckles are of equal length, then I would suggest the other sides should be fine as they would be 2nd stage in a severe impact, however, they may be both the same length but that could also mean that they have both been activated. I'll measure mine later so that you can have a guide as to what length they should be, but if you want to check it before then, measure the stalk on the door side which should be the same length as the stalk side....

In terms of repairing, the pretensioners can be easily replaced if you follow the safety steps. As bbstoke said, if it were to be the clockspring (rotation spring) then this requires the removal of the driver's airbag and the steering wheel, which again can be DIY'd if your confident enough...

Unfortunately, there is no way of checking for certain without a scanner....

rambobambo
19th October 2012, 11:41 AM
If the buckles are of equal length, then I would suggest the other sides should be fine as they would be 2nd stage in a severe impact, however, they may be both the same length but that could also mean that they have both been activated. I'll measure mine later so that you can have a guide as to what length they should be, but if you want to check it before then, measure the stalk on the door side which should be the same length as the stalk side....

In terms of repairing, the pretensioners can be easily replaced if you follow the safety steps. As bbstoke said, if it were to be the clockspring (rotation spring) then this requires the removal of the driver's airbag and the steering wheel, which again can be DIY'd if your confident enough...

Unfortunately, there is no way of checking for certain without a scanner....
Thank you for helping. I will borrow generic obd reader off a friend to look in to codes if it reads any. Meanwhile I will wait for youif you would be kind enough to give me measutements on both sides. Also pls tell me if say fault has been found and fixed would that turn the bag and service light of. Thanks once again.

rambobambo
21st October 2012, 12:57 AM
Hi guys

update not really one in a way but.... connected car to generic OBD/EOBD II reader it has not displayed any codes...waht do you suggest I should do...please help as this is driving me mad

madnoel10
21st October 2012, 11:53 AM
Renaults use a different protocol in their ECU, etc.,

Ideally you'll need to have the system read by a compatible code reader - I suggest either a Renault dealer or someone who has access to Can Clip. A good auto-spark may be able to advise.

stevuk
21st October 2012, 09:41 PM
I have a 2007 Megane which has the airbag and service light illuminated constantly. Looking at other threads, they mention to check the wiring under the seats and check connections and possibly spray with some type of contact cleaner. Two things I really need to know: -

Is the underseat cabling a good place to start looking to fix the problem.
If so, can I just disconnect/reconnect any connectors under the seat at anytime (obviously not whilst driving!) or are there any precautions I need to make?
If the above is safe to proceed with and is not successful, is the next course of action to take it to a Renault dealer or can anyone recommend any other checks.?

I believe the lights were originally intermittent coninciding with sliding/moving/siyting in the passenger seat if that is of any further help for diagnosis.

Many thanks in advance.
Try just pushing the wire connectios under the passenger seat worked on mine did it with the engine running.Don't disconnect the wire if running the engine just in case the air bag goes off.Happened twice to me in last two week when the seat is adjusted with somebody sitting on it.

rambobambo
23rd October 2012, 04:10 PM
Try just pushing the wire connectios under the passenger seat worked on mine did it with the engine running.Don't disconnect the wire if running the engine just in case the air bag goes off.Happened twice to me in last two week when the seat is adjusted with somebody sitting on it.

have done that as well...did not work guess I need to try again.. any idea how much renault charge to check this

bbstoke
23rd October 2012, 05:13 PM
77 plus VAT for diagnosis. Rip off. Most garages will charge around 40 for this. Some will refund this if you have the work done there although I suspect they put it on the price of the job. Garage I go to charges me 25 so It's worth phoning around. Mine came back as circuit 1 and 2. rotary spring behind the wheel,that's what the slight noise is when I turn the wheel whilst stationary. Part has to come from Renault and it's 170. My garage told me 40 to fit it. Have you any messages on your dash? like steering check?

stevuk
23rd October 2012, 06:07 PM
My 05 Megane has these lights on,had it diagnosed today and it's circuit one and two,rotation spring behind the wheel. If you turn it both ways whilst stationary and if you can hear a slight scraping noise as if there's a bit of paper (sorry that's the only way I can describe it). Then that's the problem. Part is Renault only and it's 147+vat. Takes about an hour to do so you're probably looking at 250. And has to be reset to take the lights off. Hope this helps
1st check the connection under the passenger seat give it a good push together,I found this put the lights out only happens when some one moves the seat when sat on it.might save you 250.
steve

rambobambo
23rd October 2012, 08:21 PM
77 plus VAT for diagnosis. Rip off. Most garages will charge around 40 for this. Some will refund this if you have the work done there although I suspect they put it on the price of the job. Garage I go to charges me 25 so It's worth phoning around. Mine came back as circuit 1 and 2. rotary spring behind the wheel,that's what the slight noise is when I turn the wheel whilst stationary. Part has to come from Renault and it's 170. My garage told me 40 to fit it. Have you any messages on your dash? like steering check?
Thanks for the reply Renault are a big rip off..do not want to spend a lot.... the car is not displaying any messages at all..its the airbag and service light thats illuminated does not seem to be problem with steering wheel...

madnoel10
23rd October 2012, 08:38 PM
The secondary restraint system (air bags etc.,)is an integral part of the cars safety systems.
If you knowingly drive the car with such a fault you will be endangering the safety not only of yourself but also of any passengers and should the system fail in an accident an insurance assessor will be able to detect if there was a prior problem. If they refuse cover then it will put you and every other motorist in the country in a difficult position to say the least.
I appreciate money may be tight nowadays but what price a life.

bbstoke
24th October 2012, 01:47 PM
I did try that after someone here did it but that didn't work :-( Looks like I'll be 250 lighter. Not bothering to get it done till after Xmas but I'll report back if it works

vipercarcom
30th December 2012, 07:48 AM
I have a friend who had the same problem after took the car to a service they found that going too much power in airbag. Even if the car was not hit never he had to change the airbag because that.

Ihar85
7th January 2013, 07:57 PM
if you get a scraping noise when turning the steering wheel, then you will probably need the rotation spring....

Hello everyone I am now the very proud owner of lovely Megane 1.9dci mk2 on a 53 plate.

I am also new to the forums.

My airbag and service light are on and the previous owner has old me there is a little clip behind the steering wheel that needs to be replaced. Is it an easy job for the home mechanic or is it a job for dealer, can you also help in advising on a visit for this?

Many thanks
Ian

bbstoke
25th January 2013, 11:56 AM
Bought the airbag squib/rotation spring and had it fitted today.
The airbag light has gone off but the service light is still on and still says "steering check".
When diagnosed there are no faults showing
Wondered is this will pass the M.O.T ?
I know the airbag light fails it but not sure about the service light
Don't know what to do next as no faults are showing

andy2004nottingham
18th May 2013, 11:46 AM
Megane CC II, 55 plate - My airbag light has been on since bought the car 6 months ago. Question - is the seat belt pretentioner in the in the seat belt end by the anchor? or the other end by the reel? Mine appear to be the same length. FOUND IT - Cylinder attached to seat at buckle end. Looks ok.

I will have the codes read but because I've also been having problems with the window working/not working when they like I have the interior out and now the passenger seat looking for the cabling that treads are talking about.

Black multi connector under seat has 6 pins that I will spay-up and see what happens - under the seat.

There is also a cylinder under the seat in the middle where your bum sits that has two wires on - I'll take off clean up and see what happens.

Andy (Nottingham)

bbstoke
16th December 2013, 10:19 PM
Long time in coming I know. Took the car into Renault, payed for the dignosis and all it needed was to reset the steering angle, track rods had been fitted prior to me buying the car but when these are fitted the angle needs be reset..
70 job done and no futher problems with it.
Holdcrofts Renault Stoke -On-trent, highly recomended main dealers

oz coupe
7th August 2014, 11:36 AM
I am a first time user down under. Bought a 2007 Megane Cabriolet six months ago for my wife and she loves it. recently got the clicking noise in the steering wheel and airbag/service light. Got some good info off this forum, as my nearest dealership is 300km away. I was quoted $600 for a clock spring from them so I had one sent out from UK for $300 including freight.I fitted clock spring as per info on this forum and sadly light still on, pulled off airbag again and put a 3.3 ohm resistor across each connector to simulate airbag and light went out. inspected airbag and the terminals were slightly bent on one side, carefully spread them and refitted bag, this time light went out.
From a safety viewpoint, I disconnected battery, allowed time for module to discharge and also earthed my hands with strap to get rid of static when poking around airbag. Radio code was written into handbook which went in ok. I think I will buy a scanner now to be prepared for future mishaps.
My thanks to forum members for their previous helpful posts.