: Renault Scenic - Knock Over Bumps*fixed with how to and pictures*

cosrush
3rd December 2006, 12:43 PM
I bought my Scenic from a garage and on the way home where the roads near me are terrible I noticed a knocking and rubbing sound from under my feet.

I returned to the garage and left the car with them. The long and the short of that is that they were not only useless but tried to pull a fast one on me.

Despite the workshop only having a very dark tinted window between it and the showroom, i was able to watch my car be driven into the workshop, parked up and then the mechanic work on another car only to reurn 20 minutes later to me to say he'd looked at it and it was fine.
I protested and said I had noticed the car had not been worked on.

It was then moved onto a ramp and a torch shone underneath for about 5 minutes.
Whereby he returned and proclaimed there was some play in a bush and he'd change it.

An hour later i was told it was all fixed and set off home only to find.........it was not different at all.

At this point I decided to take it to a Renault garage.
It was looked at for an hour and the mechanic said he couldn't find anything wrong with it.
I persuaded him to let me drive him up the road to see what i meant.
He then noticed exactly what i meant and took it back to the workshop.
About 30 minutes later he said that it should now be fine as some of the panel were close to touching underneath and he's moved them.
I also asked him about the replacement bush done by the other garage and he said nothing had been touched.
Ive since looked myself and NOTHING has been changed
:steam:
I insisted I take him for another test drive to be sure and it was no better.
He then stated "well this is about as good as you can expect for this type of car"...........WTf!!!!!!
3 years old with 35k.................:steam:

Anyway the problem which i hope somebody may have some idea of what to check.

Going over bumps in the road the car makes a knock, only feltunder the feet of the driver and at the same time it makes a rubbing sound.
It also does it between gear changes when you let of the throttle.

If anybody has ANY ideas of what to check or look at please let me know., This is driving me mad, and its not helped by the fact that clearly all the Road Tax I pay obviously must go on everybody elses roads because mine are appaling :-(

Rant over. sorry.:(

chris m
3rd December 2006, 01:03 PM
I bought my Scenic from a garage and on the way home where the roads near me are terrible I noticed a knocking and rubbing sound from under my feet.

I returned to the garage and left the car with them. The long and the short of that is that they were not only useless but tried to pull a fast one on me.

Despite the workshop only having a very dark tinted window between it and the showroom, i was able to watch my car be driven into the workshop, parked up and then the mechanic work on another car only to reurn 20 minutes later to me to say he'd looked at it and it was fine.
I protested and said I had noticed the car had not been worked on.

It was then moved onto a ramp and a torch shone underneath for about 5 minutes.
Whereby he returned and proclaimed there was some play in a bush and he'd change it.

An hour later i was told it was all fixed and set off home only to find.........it was not different at all.

At this point I decided to take it to a Renault garage.
It was looked at for an hour and the mechanic said he couldn't find anything wrong with it.
I persuaded him to let me drive him up the road to see what i meant.
He then noticed exactly what i meant and took it back to the workshop.
About 30 minutes later he said that it should now be fine as some of the panel were close to touching underneath and he's moved them.
I also asked him about the replacement bush done by the other garage and he said nothing had been touched.
Ive since looked myself and NOTHING has been changed
:steam:
I insisted I take him for another test drive to be sure and it was no better.
He then stated "well this is about as good as you can expect for this type of car"...........WTf!!!!!!
3 years old with 35k.................:steam:

Anyway the problem which i hope somebody may have some idea of what to check.

Going over bumps in the road the car makes a knock, only feltunder the feet of the driver and at the same time it makes a rubbing sound.
It also does it between gear changes when you let of the throttle.

If anybody has ANY ideas of what to check or look at please let me know., This is driving me mad, and its not helped by the fact that clearly all the Road Tax I pay obviously must go on everybody elses roads because mine are appaling :-(

Rant over. sorry.:(

possibly an engine mount loose

cosrush
3rd December 2006, 01:06 PM
possibly an engine mount loose

Thanks, I checked them all but the car was on the weight of the wheels so may have hidden any freeplay.

Are there any known problems of the engine mounts and if so which one/ones???

Anything especially to look out for???

chris m
3rd December 2006, 01:09 PM
i think the rear mount

cosrush
3rd December 2006, 01:50 PM
Can you at all be more specific as to which one please........???

chris m
3rd December 2006, 01:53 PM
sorry can't help further but one of the mechs can probably give more of an idea

53scenic
3rd December 2006, 04:25 PM
Have checked the exhaust mountings? A broken clip or bracket could cause the system or silencer box to knock against the underside - good luck

kererra
4th December 2006, 07:03 AM
I had the same problem it was only noticable over bumps etc, turned out it was the heat shield for the exhaust.

davebee
4th December 2006, 09:36 AM
Hi,
This sounds very similar to another Scenic we had in our workshops last week. The reason for the noises/vibrations turned out to be the top 'fluid' engine mounting. It had partially collapsed and had allowed the metal part of the mount to contact the bodywork. Repair was very simple. We removed the top mount (attached to the cylinder head) and shimmed the top of fluid mount with a thick washer. This increased the clearance of the mount/bodywork and the problem was cured.
Hope this works for you.
Regards,
David.

cosrush
4th December 2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks to all for the replies:)

kererra
I had the same problem it was only noticable over bumps etc, turned out it was the heat shield for the exhaust.
That was the thing the Renault mechanic said and he fiddled with it but it made very little difference.:(

------------------------------------------------------------------------

53scenic
Have checked the exhaust mountings? A broken clip or bracket could cause the system or silencer box to knock against the underside
I did grap hold of it and give it a tug but there was no movement. Will double check though.

davebee Hi,
This sounds very similar to another Scenic we had in our workshops last week. The reason for the noises/vibrations turned out to be the top 'fluid' engine mounting. It had partially collapsed and had allowed the metal part of the mount to contact the bodywork. Repair was very simple. We removed the top mount (attached to the cylinder head) and shimmed the top of fluid mount with a thick washer. This increased the clearance of the mount/bodywork and the problem was cured.
Hmmm, I wonder if this could possibly be the case with mine...
Where exactly was it touching the body? were the marks clearly visable???
Is it the mount that with the bonnet open looking from the front, the mount is the upper right hand above the cambelt???
I did noticed that i could get hold of the aluminium part of the mount and move the engine by hand more than I though I should have been able to. Perhaps under the loading of the bump on the road its enough to move it to touch the bodywork....
Any pointers of where to look for any signs very much appreciated.

Thankyou:)

davebee
4th December 2006, 01:09 PM
Yes, it's the mounting on the driver's side connected to the cylinder head. There were no visible signs of where it had been making contact. I have heard of someone fitting the shim by simply removing the mount centre bolt, levering up the engine and slipping the washer on to the mount - depends on the movement available in the other mounts. To remove the mount from the cylinder head you will need to support the engine - usually by using a trolley jack under the engine.

cosrush
4th December 2006, 01:14 PM
davebee,

Thanks once again.

Is it not possible to replace the mount altogether, of remove it and strip it to replace the possible broken part???
Are there any uprated mounts do you know as a replacement???
What sort of thickness shim was used?

Sorry for all the questions:o

davebee
4th December 2006, 01:21 PM
There's no need to replace the mount - over a number of years they get slightly squashed. The washer we used was approximately 1.5mm thick.

cosrush
5th December 2006, 08:34 AM
Thanks very much Davebee,

I'll give that a try:)

cosrush
31st December 2006, 06:41 PM
DaveBee.............What can I say.............

:d :d :d :beer: :beer: :beer: :driving:

It worked.........

I cannot thank you enough for the help, I am so chuffed it is now fixed and there is no sign at all of the fault:d

I finally got some time today to have a look at it, and for the benefit of anybody else who may ever have this problem I took some pictures as follows:

this is the engine mount in question in its normal position,
before removal of the upper engine cover (3x small screws).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/CosRush/Mount1.jpg

Underneath the engine, 4x 10mm head screws removed and the sump cover panel slides away to the rear of the car. A piece of wood on a trolley jack positioned under the sump and raised slightly to take the weight off the mount.

Then the 1x nut is removed, followed by the 3x long bolts attaching the mount to the cylinder head,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/CosRush/mount4.jpg

and then remove it
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/CosRush/mount2.jpg

I then placed 1x M10 washer over the wing mount bolt
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/CosRush/mount5.jpg

The refitted the engine mount completely and took the car for a test drive. I then found the fault was completely cured.
I then returned and made a small disc, and machined the holes to match that of the mount face.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/CosRush/mount6.jpg

Fitted the new disc
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/CosRush/mount3.jpg

and then refitted the engine mount (3x long bolts, and 1x nut).
Then removed the trolley jack, and refitted the under panels.

Car now totally cured.

Massive thanks again to DaveBee:cool:

Getafix
31st December 2006, 07:08 PM
Cor blimey
Well done to you both
I love it when a plan comes together.
Nice pic's too .

ottoman
31st December 2006, 07:13 PM
Good clear pics, Good post

jcalvert
1st April 2007, 10:46 PM
I have seemingly the same problem. Will any washer do or do you need to custom drill it to fit the mount as cosrush did? Also, I can't help noticing in the pictures a toothed belt. Is this the main timing belt??

appytizer
10th December 2007, 04:33 PM
Hey mate, you deserve a medal. (davebee)
I bought my scenic 4 days ago and had noticed the strange noise. I was thinking could possibly be cv joint, drive shaft or even wheel bearing but the symtoms didnt seem to fit.
I know quite a bit about cars but would never had guessed it would be the top mount. I knew as soon as I read this thread that this was the problem.
I popped the washer in today and its spot on now.
I only joined this forum a couple of days ago and its already saved me some dosh.
cheers bud,:)

chris m
10th December 2007, 10:37 PM
nice, thanks for update

Ancien-tt scenic
4th April 2010, 09:06 PM
Any body who has had this problem. Was the noise there all of the time? I am getting an intermittent noise at any speed above 60mph butnothing at low speed over bumps or when turning. It is like a creaking noise, perhaps metal against metal.

Zsaba
5th April 2010, 08:57 PM
DaveBee.............What can I say.............

:d :d :d :beer: :beer: :beer: :driving:

It worked.........

I cannot thank you enough for the help, I am so chuffed it is now fixed and there is no sign at all of the fault:d

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/CosRush/mount6.jpg

Car now totally cured.

Massive thanks again to DaveBee:cool:

Great stuff Cosrush!!!

You should knock out a few of those discs, I'll bet there would be a few sales on here.

I'll know where to look if I get odd bumps :)

OzRX4
6th April 2010, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the info cosrush and well done to DaveBee. This sounds similar to a noise in my Rx-4 that's been there since I got it in 2005.
It's not a costly fix and won't destroy anything if it isn't the answer. Will give it ago whence next I have a spare hour or so.
Will report my findings too.

loublou2010
10th May 2010, 08:57 PM
hi guys
i seem to have this problem we have changed the lower gear box mount thinking it was the problem but when i turn conners left and right there is like a rumble clunk clunk noise if that makes sense could this be the same problem its driving me crazy i really dont know who to ask i also get alot of noise from the exshust when driving over any rd .I hate going in to garages as thay just rip you of especilly when ur a lady any advice x

kamperman
11th May 2010, 07:44 PM
A noise when turning is more than likely a cv joint, try driving the car in tight circles on a car parks and see if its louder if so its the cv's.

OzRX4
12th May 2010, 05:37 AM
Could be the CV joints but if the noise is on either direction turns, more likely to be another problem as a buggered CV will only be noisy usually in one direction.

loublou2010
16th May 2010, 07:31 PM
hi guys thanks for the advice i have give up i dont know what it could be it goes in for a service tuesday with a mechanic who i trust to tell me the truth now hes back of holiday .So i really hoping its nothing to expensive as ive just brought the car the exhust problem is fixed it was a bracket had drop so it was knocking of the back bar but that took me 4 garges to find out that issue lol .I think i could have somthing to do with the sterring rack i dont no thow i hope it nothhing to expensive as we have not long brought it thanks anyway x

vidking
23rd October 2010, 05:08 PM
Hi Davebee,

I have just bought a Megane with the same problem and your suggestion worked perfectly thanks for that !!! much appreciated as it had a lot of mechanics completely stumpted.

cheers Steve

carl lee
6th November 2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks to all for the replies:)

kererra

That was the thing the Renault mechanic said and he fiddled with it but it made very little difference.:(

53scenic

I did grap hold of it and give it a tug but there was no movement. Will double check though.

davebee Hi,

Hmmm, I wonder if this could possibly be the case with mine...
Where exactly was it touching the body? were the marks clearly visable???
Is it the mount that with the bonnet open looking from the front, the mount is the upper right hand above the cambelt???
I did noticed that i could get hold of the aluminium part of the mount and move the engine by hand more than I though I should have been able to. Perhaps under the loading of the bump on the road its enough to move it to touch the bodywork....
Any pointers of where to look for any signs very much appreciated.

Thankyou:)
just wanted to say thanks very much davebee i have a 1.9dci scenic driving me mad over the bumps,placed a washer as you said and the differance is unblievable like driving a different car.

jamietee
8th November 2010, 09:24 AM
Have you had a look at the anti roll bar bush?

andy1acars
9th December 2010, 10:51 PM
Nice one. Had a main dealer mechanic round today and checked the offside topmount, jacked it up and said it was suspect. He hadnt heard of the washer fix but tried it and it worked, 40 done! For anyone my symptoms were squashy thud over speedhumps and exhaust was banging a bit as engine sitting to low, and it wasnt a big washer, more of a nut but it did the trick, thanks for thread.

andydci
29th January 2011, 07:54 PM
Hi, I'm new here, just got a scenic dci, anoying knocking started on the way hom from buying!! Grrr! anyway, read this forum the other night, checked all the usual suspects, bottom arm, balljoints, steering rack mounts and so on, nothing seemed ill at all, and I could swear it was the top mount (strut top), however that all seems dandy, even pretty new tbh, so had a real good shocve and tug at this mount, seems a whole lot of movement and I could produce a bumping/knocking noise once I had got the engine rocking... Am gonna try this trick in the morning, really hope it works as its really getting to me and is worsening all the time. Must be the mount though, after all my efforts earlier the knocking is worse than it was beforehand which seems indicative! Wish me luck... I'll post back...

andydci
30th January 2011, 11:10 AM
Woohoo! another fix for the spacer trick.
Took it up a local privately owned road where the residents can never come to an agreement over resurfacing and thus is now basically a lane strewn with huge potholes, some up to 8" deep and 3 foot wide, only two thumps and a bump driving up there, other than that all is well.
Not sure how long it will last though!
I am going to fashion a proper spacer for it now, but the 2mm washer will suffice in the meantime.
Many thanks again!

andydci
31st January 2011, 12:19 AM
Praps spoke too soon, it is still there, albeit drastically reduced, I will make the spacer 3-3.5mm and look out for a new mount in the meantime, it must be pretty knackered, the knock got worse in the ten days I've had the car, and even with a 2mm spacer its there and seeming to be making a comeback in just a day...

ANDY PERKINS
31st January 2011, 02:05 PM
WOOOOO HOOOO

Just done mine with a 3mm washer and its fixed :d...

any one on the crawley area want it done let me know it took 15 min's ......HAPPY DAY'S

andydci
31st January 2011, 08:33 PM
Actually has been ok today, done a few miles delivering in it and the knock is only now and again, have just got to put those two holes in the 3mm spacer now and swap over from the washer.

mad_jack10
13th February 2011, 02:17 PM
Hi there i have been having the same symptoms as others in this thread I was just wondering could this affect the 1.5dci as my mount looks different than the pics cheers

petercee
15th February 2011, 12:59 AM
sounds like its the upper mount on drivers side, mine looked normal with the weight of the engine on it, but when i put a jack under the motor and lifted it slightly, 2 things had happened, the mount was broken, and fluid had leaked out, on my scenic 1, the rubber mount was fluid filled, mind you, i no longer own it, ive got a corolla now, 7 months and not 1 single problem, and its done 168000ks, the renault blew 2 pistons at 145000ks. gee those scenics were a terribly badly put together hunk of junk,

Taipan
14th March 2011, 04:08 PM
Hi there i have been having the same symptoms as others in this thread I was just wondering could this affect the 1.5dci as my mount looks different than the pics cheers

Did you cure yours? My Megane 1.5 Dci suffers from an annoying clunk on the OSF when you hit a pothole etc and i cant find anything that may be causing it.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=103925&highlight=engine+mount

danz
17th March 2011, 11:19 PM
I've had the car fer 3 years and this the first sign of trouble.

Think I'm in the same boat as the rest.

When I start the car in the morning off a cold start, it shakes and twitches that much, the wiper blades vibrate.

This has got progressively worse over a very short period of time. I mean days!

I know now why my wife returns home from the school run with a smile on her face!

Its not the DMF, cause i had a mondeo which had this prob and know the signs of it failing.

Will check out the engine mount and use the washer fix and post the results!

dread1234
31st March 2011, 12:51 AM
do i have to remove the sump panel on the scenic? was kinda hoping to try this fix on wifes car..but hoping not to have to get under it? cheers.

Also gonna try an m10 2mm washer- if that doesnt work is it ok to use 2 on the mount together? is it really that easy to try this fix.

thanks

dread1234
19th April 2011, 11:30 AM
well sorted it thanks.works a treat. ended up putting 2 washers on.no more knocking under feet

dread1234
2nd June 2011, 10:50 AM
any one have the part number for the mount please?

the old one started to crumble and would like to replace

bluesnapper
21st July 2011, 01:10 PM
I have been getting a knock (from the drivers side) lately whenever the front of my Scenic (05) is pitched down (sometimes up too). Does this point to the engine mountings or is there something else I need to look at?

As in the last posting above what is the mounting part number and roughly how much does it cost?

dread1234
26th July 2011, 03:36 PM
found out part number :8200267624
renault wanted 112 inc vat.

managed to track down for 56 inc vat and delivery :p gonna fit on weekend now

bluesnapper
27th July 2011, 01:06 PM
found out part number :8200267624
renault wanted 112 inc vat.

managed to track down for 56 inc vat and delivery :p gonna fit on weekend now

Can you just change the rubber part of the mounting on the drivers side?

johnr551
3rd August 2011, 10:46 AM
I've been getting a bad vibration when idling at when stopping at lights for example. But when I place the car in Neutral it stops vibrating and starts 'kicking' lightly.
Any ideas? (Its an automatic scenic 1.6 2000)

evolution666
3rd August 2011, 05:43 PM
I had pretty much the same problem you are describing on a 2000 scenic and it was the gearbox mount, I couldnt feel any play but changed the mount and it stopped.

does it get worse / improve under breaking or hard acceleration ?

johnr551
4th August 2011, 06:30 PM
I had pretty much the same problem you are describing on a 2000 scenic and it was the gearbox mount, I couldnt feel any play but changed the mount and it stopped.

does it get worse / improve under breaking or hard acceleration ?

Thanks. ive ordered a second hand mount for 25. It only happened while idling but its getting worse. I looked under the bonet today and when my partner changed into drive the gearbox jumped up at me quite badly! must be the mounts.

Mark_Tommo
4th August 2011, 11:27 PM
Id stay Rear Axle Bushes

marrsonavon
7th July 2013, 10:46 AM
Thank you so much for giving me the confidence to attempt this. My story goes a little further as I had to replace the whole mount.
I have attached a few pics that show the well worn part and the new replacement.
I paid 29 on ebay for this and they shipped it for free to New Zealand from Poland!. I tracked this all the way online for 5 days!
My wife thinks I'm a legend.
I was quoted $320 for the part and $ 155 for labour by my local garage so I'm pretty happy to only spend $ 100 all up. I brought myself a 2 tonne trolley jack for $40.
Cheers

ciderman1
12th July 2013, 10:03 PM
I'm having a similar problem with my 04 Scenic II.
Yesterday the car started to have a rubbing sound from the passenger side rear, when I turn to go left it subsides to silence but otherwise is always there, rubbing away.
Brakes are fine, no problems there, no knocking sounds.
When I slow to stop with the windows open it sounds for all the world to be a piece of body work rubbing against something, with a slight squeak as it grinds to a halt.
Any ideas what the hell is wrong with this god forsaken car?
Between this, a twice fixed now broken fan, banjaxed again driver side window regulator I am probably never buying a Renault again!

marrsonavon
17th July 2013, 03:05 AM
The cause of the failure of the liquid filled engine mount is usually because of a jacking error. Local garages are too lazy to use the normal mounts, so they simply just jack it on the engine strut mount. This causes the entire weight of the car to transfer through the top engine mount and burst the seal. This is usually followed by a small discharge of liquid and they give you back the car none the wiser. It would be wise to point this out before they center jack the car!.

andythebus
19th August 2013, 10:14 PM
I have had this problem with my grand scenic. Took the car to my local trusted mechanic and he could find nothing amiss with the suspension parts. Was annoying the hell out of me and then it disappeared all of a sudden like. Anyway 4 months later and the car stared to make a knocking noise under breaking.I thought that this was un related and would be a quick fix. A track rod arm and track rod end was diagnosed by a different mechanic. When i went to pick up the car he hadn't fitted the parts bought. He said that all the play in the track rod was coming from a nylon bush inside the steering rack. The track rod fits inside this bush. Anyway. I've sourced a used steering rack and the mechanic says it's a 4 hr job to fit it . Hopefully this will sort the ops problem too. To sum up it could be the Track rod to steering rack bush. Need a new steering rack. When i went to get the rack from the specialist Renault breakers in Shotts they said that they sell a lot of them because of the bush inside. Basically it's not up to the job

rxphoar
22nd October 2013, 04:57 PM
Does anyone have the part number for this top mount to fit a RX4 1.9dci 2002. Mine is well past the washer fix!

I've tried 8200267624 but get conflicting results :crazy:

TIA

rxphoar
22nd October 2013, 06:59 PM
Hold that thought!
Having had a clean up of the mount I discovered the part number staring me in the face, quite a shocker on this car to be so visible without dismantling first.

Therefore, I can confirm that 8200 267 624 IS the correct part for my model.

Hoorah :d

Any of those 56 jobbies still around? The cheapest I've found in the UK is a tad short of 100 including vat and post.

Gitanes
4th December 2013, 05:22 PM
Many thanks to all. Have just replaced the washers on the engine mount and also on the 10mm bolts to the cam belt cover. All fine now!
:d

Regg1e
6th December 2014, 11:08 AM
Another +1 for the fix of adding a washer to the engine mount ☺
I've been searching the cause of this problem for weeks, what was confusing is that the problem was less noticeable once the car had warmed up.
Could feel knocking but felt as though it was suspension / drive train related.
Have changed strut, lower ball joint, all ARB bushes and driveshaft in attempts to fix, thankfully all parts were worn to a certain degree so not a complete waste of time or money.
The engine mount was a last resort as I had fitted a new one 15 months ago !
Can only assume that when I changed the gearbox last January I maybe stressed the mount ??