: 1997 Clio 1.2 Idles very high

cubefarm
9th December 2006, 01:38 PM
Hi everyone,

I've got a 1997 Renault Clio 1.2 Petrol.

The car refused to start because of (I think) a flat battery. I jump started it, but the engine now idles with very high revs. I haven't tried driving it yet as it sounds so dodgy.

Do you have any ideas about how to fix this?

This might sound stupid (I don't know much about cars!), but is it ok to drive the car when it is constantly revving so hard? I'd really like to drive it to the garage, but I don't know if the engine will fall to bits if I try! :o

Any help would be much appreciated!!

C.

GeordieClio
9th December 2006, 03:39 PM
Hey,

It could be your Idle Air control Valve, or a vacuum pipe thats cracked/split.

Barry.

cubefarm
9th December 2006, 03:52 PM
Hey,

It could be your Idle Air control Valve, or a vacuum pipe thats cracked/split.

Barry.

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the response. Do you think I will be able to drive the two miles to the garage in its current state?

Thanks

C.

GeordieClio
9th December 2006, 04:49 PM
How high is the Idle speed? Try pullign away see if the revs drop.

If you have breakdown cover .. call them say you don't want to drive your car in it's current state and have them tow it to the garage.

Barry.

cubefarm
10th December 2006, 11:19 AM
How high is the Idle speed? Try pullign away see if the revs drop.

The car doesn't have a rev counter so I don't know exactly. It sounds like its revving as hard as it would if I'd pushed the accelerator about three quarters of the way down.

I'll call my mate so we can jump start it again and see what happens if I try pulling away.

If you have breakdown cover .. call them say you don't want to drive your car in it's current state and have them tow it to the garage.

Unfortunately don't have breakdown cover. I couldn't afford it, but if I can't get the car to the garage myself, I'm probably going to have to pay more to get it towed!

Thanks for your advice