Independent Renault Forums banner

laguna airbag fault

5K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  srafferty 
#1 ·
hi all my 06 dci has a fault code df071 i know its airbag steering wheel fault circuit 2 can anyone please tell me the differance betwwen circuit 1 &2 so i dont replace the wrong one thanks for any help

#2 ·
I have the very same fault code and issue on the same year and model.....Airbag and service light on and off. Mostly on and seems to be affected when I'm steering but not all the time if that makes sense!?!
The steering wheel itself is smooth, no 'crunchiness'. I have been told as it's the drivers airbag wiring the clockspring may be slightly damaged causing it to be intermittent. The source is trusted and advised that this is most likely although the clockspring (rotary switch) isn't totally knackered.
I have got a trusted Haynes and am looking to get a brand new rotary switch (rather do that than buy the incorrect one from ebay). Not sure how much it will cost for the part but the job seems easy to do.

Hopefully it will work but I would like someone to confirm the theory behind rectifying this fault code.

#6 ·
It could be the switch still but it could also be the connection running from the fuse to the switch that could have a break....Rather than forking out for a new switch you could either get a pro to look at it or cheaper still find a wiring diagram and get a multimeter, if you've not done so already.

How did the fault start by the way?? That might hold a clue - the reason I was sure it was the switch on mine was because it occured when I steered and continued to be intermittent, when on a certain lock...

#7 ·
It just started out of the blue. I had a guy run a diagnostic on it it came as drivers airbag line 20. It started as a now and again thing, now it's very rarely off. I'm guessing a corroded solder or connection somewhere. I have amultimeter, but no circuit diagram. Thanks for your reply though.

#9 ·
Just posted a possible reason for my airbag light going on - if it is assembly like my one then its a no cost fix - definitely worth looking at...Airbag computer connector being pressured from the other loom stretching across. Put the other loom under the airbag loom and the connector will no longer under pressure...also clean the socket and plug and pray that it was the cause...shouldn't be assembled like this anyway...don't forget to disconnect the battery first.

#10 ·
Not sure what you guys refer to as rotary switch, but I see two main possibilities. The actual airbag pins could be dirty (drown in contact cleaner that has no lube in it NOT WD40 and do several cycles of connecting and disconnecting while still wet, repeat a few times) or the rotating joint (is this what you call a rotary switch? don't see where it would be a switch though) that connects between the steering wheel and the steering column wiring. The latter comes off easy once you take your steering wheel off, just mark your position and replace with a preferrably new one. You should also do the contact cleaner cycling on the steering-column connector aswell.

#12 ·
Then you should start tracing the sections of wiring back to the airbag computer. It's a box with Autoliv on it, should be between your handbrake and gear shift. Trace the wires back section by section until you find the part that doesn't conduct. It's a pain I know but probably the only solution....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.