Independent Renault Forums banner

Why would a clutch sensor affect a handbrake Scenic Mk11

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  YOY 
#1 ·
Whilst piddling about with my car I unhooked the clutch position sensor to see if it helped with the poor take up and hesitation on gear changes.

It didn't, but it did flag up check handbrake and the service light came on. The car drove, but once stopped and started, the electronic HB wouldn't disengage. I had to reconnect the sensor, turn the engine off and on again for it to work.

Why is there any connection between the operation of the clutch and the electronic handbrake on these cars?:confused:
If this thin piece of plastic breaks, you are stuck with the HB on.:eek: I doubt the RAC or AA would consider looking for this sensor in order to fix a handbrake.:crazy:

#3 ·
I'd considered that, however it's application of the accelerator that releases the HB in my experience and I don't see how the position of the clutch pedal is an indicator of whether the car is in gear or not.

I'm sure you're right, but it would be a big red herring if you have a sudden HB failure and it turns out it's the clutch pedal.:crazy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.