: Renault Megane 1 - Clicking Noise From Dashboard On Start Up

macski
20th September 2005, 08:36 AM
when i switch the ignition on in my 2000 megane cc 1600 auto i hear loudish clicking and a motor noise from the left side of the dashbord it stops after about 5 seconds, this also happens if the recirculating fan is switched on. car runs ok when started.

Ivor_E_Tower
20th September 2005, 02:05 PM
Do you have aircon fitted? Cars are getting too clever these days - maybe the motor noise is the recirculation flap being activated to stop exhaust fumes from being drawn into the car just after it has started (in case you are reversing out of a garage or onto a main road etc)?

WebCode
20th September 2005, 02:23 PM
yep its the reciculation Flap/Motor.. At worst case you will need a complete airbox to fix it (if the flap stop pin has broken).. If it has aircon then the cost of the box is £450..

macski
20th September 2005, 02:49 PM
yes i do have air con ,thanks for your comments sounds as i need to spend some money
thanks
macski

Girl who loves her Megane Cabriolet
11th October 2005, 12:31 PM
This is great. I have the same problem which started a week ago and now you've given me an idea of what the problem is, I know I can drive safely until it's service which is due very soon.
Apparently if air con works - I don't need to get this problem sorted??
Thanks to everyone involved in this posting.

A former user
16th October 2005, 10:08 PM
Your welcome - Can you tell us a little more about how you noticed the problem - The more info here the better for future readers and members - Cheers

Girl who loves her Megane Cabriolet
18th October 2005, 12:06 PM
Hi.
Here are more details regarding my problem.
When I turn the ignition key to the point where the dash lights up (and radio comes on), ie before the engine actually starts, I get a couple of clunking noises. When I turn the engine on, I get about 6 more clunks and then it stops, until the next time I turn it on.
I have aircon, which works fine.
We opened the bonnet and whether inside or outside the car, the noise is coming from in the bonnet at the steering wheel/driver's feet corner of the bonnet.
At weekends I drive about 500km and need to be sure that I'm not damaging the car or risking breaking down...
Thanks

Longfellow
26th October 2005, 03:12 PM
I have had the same problem with my 1.4 16v Megane. The symptoms being identical, i.e. when switching from external to internal air source (for the Air Con) there was a knocking noise as if something was trying to engage - and not. I guessed it was connected to the heater 'cos when getting into the car and closing the door, the resulting gust of air made (what I assumed was) some kind of flap "knock" inside the heater. I had this cured at a cost of £160 last summer (2004) by a main dealer (after 2 attempts over 3 days) and would you believe it it's gone again although I'm not getting the knocking this time. The really bugging thing is that I rarely use the Air Con, and the internal airflow option only gets used in traffic jams.

Invincible
15th January 2006, 09:48 PM
Had this problem last year, posted on here with no replies; now you all seem to have the bug (funny old world). Good news is that on my 1.6e (99V), I disconnected the sensor to the motor which stops the "clicking". This is really simple to do.
Remove the screws on the RHS panel, at rear of engine bay,(torx head). Disconnect the small connector (only 2 there, the other one is quite large), the motor won't try and engage. Spoke to a garage and told it is quite a common fault. £350-£700 to fix depending on parts and a quick fix rarely works for long. As Ivor said perviously, it is only needed when reversing. This will keep you sane till you have the cash to repair.
Good luck
[/B][U] IF YOU ARE UNSURE ABOUT VEHICLE ELECTRICS, TAKE IT TO A PROFESSIONAL.

macski
14th August 2006, 03:49 PM
I have now disconnected the wires to the motor no more clicking noises

morgam23
4th September 2006, 10:36 AM
I just experienced this same problem last week.
I'm getting all the fumes from the outside coming into the car.
I was told that there are some gears,that after constant use,there teeth begins to break off.
If this is the case,what is the name of the part I am looking for to buy to get this problem rectified.

RG230
18th October 2006, 08:41 PM
I have had the same problem and the complete air box was replaced under warranty

Richard

vertigogreen
27th October 2006, 01:09 PM
if it still goes - just leave it

Renaults apart from Clio are bad

Coupe_Gal
31st October 2006, 10:40 PM
Hi have browsed through the site and found similar but not exact same problems as im having with megane coupe 1600 petrol. At the start there was a small tapping noise coming from underneath the passenger side dash - this happened very seldom and i just ignored. This evening though the tapping has turned into a really loud banging from the same area. It first happened when i was stuck in traffic, later on the motorway and then when i stopped the car. Restarted the car - happened again - also happens without even starting up engine (just by turning key half way). No obvious signs under bonnet. The ABS light is also now lit up, have no idea whether this has anything to do with it. The car is not long back from the Renault dealers having got the spark plugs changed which had caused it to cut out intermittently for weeks (apparantly they werent renault). Before that it was the fuel filter and now this. im not even worrying about the screeching sound when locking, reversing and going round roundabouts:confused: ! Just looking for some guidance on the banging noises! Thanks!!!

Lagdti
31st October 2006, 10:45 PM
Is the 'banging' happening when you switch the ignition on?

Does it stop after a few seconds?

If so,the re-circulation flap for the heater is broken.It's not a problem,as long as you can put up with the noise.....

I suspect the ABS light is another,unrelated fault.

Coupe_Gal
31st October 2006, 10:49 PM
Yes banging happens when i switch on the ignition but also when im driving. It gives off about 10 bangs and then stops after about 10 seconds or so. Any ideas whether the re-circulation flap can be replaced or is this a major job - will i just have to crank up the music!?! Tanx

Lagdti
31st October 2006, 10:53 PM
Type 'flap' into the search facility,and you should find a thread in the Megane Knowledge Base.It will answer all your questions.:)

If your cars under warranty,I'd get fixed asap!.

Lagdti
31st October 2006, 10:54 PM
Here it is....

[Link removed as threads are now merged:)]

Coupe_Gal
31st October 2006, 10:56 PM
tanx a million - warranty - i wish - bought as seen (large windows grrr) - tanx for advise

superbiatch
1st November 2006, 07:57 AM
I've learned to live with the clunks hun - crank the music up :d

LOFC75
5th November 2006, 09:31 PM
I have two Meganes, a 99' V Reg Hatchback & a 00' W Reg Cabriolet.

Both have the same air recirculation flap knocking noise when I turn them on.

I've seen a solution to the problem on a Megane review on the ciao website.

"Air recirculation flap went on 23K miles – somehow this dislodged itself from the motor and has not been able to retain it’s position since. There was a change in design in the year 2000. DEALER FIX : change out the airbox….a LOT of work! Cost £450.

MY SOLUTION: I just held the flap in the constantly open position with some wire, I never use recirc mode anyway cost 5p."

Could someone explain how I would - hold the flap in the constantly open position with some wire???

Thanks in advance

superbiatch
5th November 2006, 09:49 PM
I'd be interested to know how also - i never use the recirculation feature, so whats the point in fixing it and paying out a small fortune? :crazy:

LOFC75
14th November 2006, 02:37 PM
Btt

leroy
14th November 2006, 04:45 PM
Hi there and welcome to the Forum, the air recycling system
uses only the air inside the car without taking any air from the outside of the car, this could be quite interesting if carrying passengers with sneezy colds etc. No air is renewed.
Regards Leroy

bazwillrun
21st February 2007, 02:27 PM
96 Auto Megane 2.0L
Hello fellow Renault owners
As soon as i turn on the ignition (with or without engine start) there is a loudish buzzing/whirring noise that seems to come from just to the left of centre of the dashboard and just behind /above the radio.
Also from behind the passenger glovebox i can hear about every 10/15 seconds what sounds like something opening and closing.
All the heating/cooling controls are working ok, the only thing that seems to make any difference and it only affects the pitch of the noise is if i activate the button that recirculates the internal air, its the button above the aircon .
For the second time in 3 months the sound went away for a couple of days but this afternoon has come back .
As i said everything about the heater/cooler unit is/seems to be functioning ok except this irritating noise.

At an outside guess i think maybe whatever it is that controls this internal air recirculation is misfunctioning and its this that i can hear opening/closing from behind the glove box.
If it is this part of the unit , i never use it so on the basis i might be correct can i disable it ?

Anybody have any other ideas as to what the problem is and a possible solution please ?

Many thanks for any help

madnoel10
21st February 2007, 05:51 PM
Hi Bazwillrun,
Don't quote me on this but I think the heater intake and motor blower are situated in the area you describe - the cabin filter may also be located there. To me the clicking sounds like a solenoid opening and closing - this could be the one that operates the flap that controls whether air is extracted from the outside or recirculated from within the cabin. It could be a faulty solenoid or the switch that operates it - the one on the dash. I suggest you try to get access to it and check the condition of the pollen filter - if necessary remove it and see what happens. If you disconnect the electrical connection to the solenoid the flap will not operate correctly and will probably affect the performance of the air conditioning. If the solenoid is disconnected you will have to ensure the flap stays either in the open or shut position. You may be able to do this with cord or tape but it is best to keep it in the outside air position so the aircon can work efficiently and keep the cabin air fresh - otherwise you'll liable to get sleepy at the wheel. Maybe some other members can assist on this one Good luck.

bazwillrun
22nd February 2007, 09:18 AM
Hi madnoel10

that sounds like it makes sense, i will try and have a look at it later today and see what i can do.
i will report back

many thanks

chris m
22nd February 2007, 11:23 AM
have to agree, it does sound like the fresh air selector flap. Some members have reported that the flaps cause a rattle or clunk noise when the car starts or idles

tennisman
27th February 2007, 05:37 PM
I have this problem on my Renault Megane 1999 Alize. The knocking noise happens when I switch from internal to external circulation. When it happens I get about 25 loud knocks, that drives me and my family mad (suicidal they say). My car has air conditioning and an inspection of the air motor unit from under the bonnet suggests that it is difficult to fix by yourself. Not only does it have air conditioning piping emerging from the box but the box itself appears to be placed deep down behind the engine and bodywork. I'm not sure that it is possible to get to from inside the car as there appears to be metal bodywork in the way. Does anyone know whether the air conditioning unit fluid has to be drained and replaced?

youngerpet
23rd March 2007, 08:04 PM
When I turn on the ignition on my Megane 1.6 RXE a noisy flappy type sound happens in the front bulkhead it goes on for about 10 seconds and then everything works fine untill I start the car again. Somthing seems to be loose in the front bulhead as when you close the car door you can hear it flap could anybody point me in the right direction.
Cheers,
Pete

347andy
23rd March 2007, 08:17 PM
Could be the flap that closes when you switch to recirculating ! I understand that these are prone to breaking & unfortunately are not cheap to replace !

Lagdti
23rd March 2007, 08:19 PM
Yep,have a search on the forum and you'll find plenty of info on the subject.It is a common problem,unfortunately........

If you can't find the relevant threads,let us know and we'll point you in the right direction.:)

youngerpet
23rd March 2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks lagtdi I am new to forum could you point me in right direction please.
Pete

Lagdti
23rd March 2007, 08:39 PM
If you do a search for 'flap' (oo-er mrs....:)) you'll find a few like this.....(click on the link):)

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/megane/1556-renault-megane-heating-cooling-dashboard-noise.html?highlight=flap

youngerpet
23rd March 2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks mate very helpful:)

chris m
23rd March 2007, 09:42 PM
Welcome to the forum, keep us updated

madnoel10
24th March 2007, 10:50 AM
Sounds like the solenoid that operates the recirculating selection flap is acting up and expensive to fully repair - try this - disconnect the cables to the solenoid and then jam or lock the flap in open position so air is drawn from the outside. A bit awkward to do but also a lot cheaper.:)

youngerpet
24th March 2007, 02:11 PM
I took out the removable flap at the top r/h side of the bulkhead and at the r/h side under the plastic I couldn't lift up ther was a large conector with several cables going to it and just th right of that ther was a smaller conecter with 2 small cables going to it I thought that may be the soleniod I couldn't lift the conector of the housing if this is the corect conection I maybe could cut the cable and make safe.
Any advice will be greatly appreaciated.
Pete:)

madnoel10
24th March 2007, 04:23 PM
Don't cut any cables - one it ain't good practice and secondly if its the wrong ones you could end up walking this weekend. Can you see or hear exactly where the flap is - disconnecting the wrong cable could upset the management system -then it's big money to fix.

youngerpet
24th March 2007, 05:27 PM
I looked on a previouse post and was told it was the recirculation flap that was making the noise. Some one else had same problem and they disconected the motor for the recirclution flap and that shut it up but i,m not sure wich one it is. I think all it does is stop exauhst fumes coming into the car when reversing so no big deal to disconect. I just need to silence it without paying £400 to get it done. If all else fails I may do a Basil Fawlty on it.
Pete.

madnoel10
25th March 2007, 02:07 PM
The flap is there to change the direction of the airflow into the heater - when it's open it allows air to be drawn in from outside - when it's closed it recirculates the air from within the car. But what I'd really love to know is what reversing has got to do with it.:confused: If your going to disconnect it the flap is best left in the open position - so in warmer weather (whenever it arrives dear knows) you can have cool fresh air when required.:)

bav
12th April 2007, 07:55 PM
hi mate i am having the same problem, when you turn the key the sound fromthr vent starts knoking, with a wining sound. iam not sure what to do,

so does this wier repair work has any one tryed it ?

allnucker
6th May 2007, 02:23 PM
Hi Can Anybody Help.
When I Switch My Ignition On,i Get A Knocking Noise From The Left Hand Side From Behind The Dash. This Lasts For A Couple Or Three Seconds. If Anybody Can Tell Me How To Repair This I Would Be Very Greatful........

leroy
6th May 2007, 02:31 PM
Hi there allnucker and welcome to Renault Forums
Regards Leroy

chris m
6th May 2007, 02:50 PM
welcome to the forum. I think it's the air inlet flap for the heater circuit, it's cropped up a few times but I'm not sure theres a permenant cure.

deano23285
7th May 2007, 10:40 AM
chris is right, its on mine too, im ignoring it till it goes in for its service in the suimmer

Lagdti
7th May 2007, 10:48 AM
It's a £500 job to repair completely,as I think the dash has to come out.:eek:

I think some members have got round it by other means,and if you do a search for 'flap' you should see the relevant info.:)

superbiatch
7th May 2007, 11:25 AM
I've had this problem for a couple of years, learn to ignore it is my advice :)

Turn the tunez up ;)

deano23285
8th May 2007, 09:03 AM
sound advice SB

Tricky Dicky
8th May 2007, 09:21 AM
This is the problem I have - saw the red and black wires (hope those are the ones?) but they looked rather large. Does anyone have a pic of the wires to disconnect. Have just recently acquired the car (99 1.r rte Megane hatch) and love it. Quotes for a repair are unbelievable here (South Africa). Would like to have a go at some stage, but not sure whether to get in from the inside(engine compartment) or inside (then how to get under the dash?). I can feel that flap if I wiggle my hand in to the gap.Very frustrating. Be great to see pics of s dismantled unit.
Thanks
Rich H

deano23285
8th May 2007, 09:33 AM
im gonna check to see if mine os covered by my warranty to see if they can replace it

Tricky Dicky
8th May 2007, 11:14 AM
Had this problem last year, posted on here with no replies; now you all seem to have the bug (funny old world). Good news is that on my 1.6e (99V), I disconnected the sensor to the motor which stops the "clicking". This is really simple to do.
Remove the screws on the RHS panel, at rear of engine bay,(torx head). Disconnect the small connector (only 2 there, the other one is quite large), the motor won't try and engage. Spoke to a garage and told it is quite a common fault. £350-£700 to fix depending on parts and a quick fix rarely works for long. As Ivor said perviously, it is only needed when reversing. This will keep you sane till you have the cash to repair.
Good luck
Clunk clunk - we joke about the goblin with a hammer under the dash ...
This is the problem I have - saw the red and black wires (hope those are the ones?) but they looked rather large. Does anyone have a pic of the wires to disconnect?. Have just recently acquired the car (99 1.6 rte Megane hatch) and love it). Quotes for a repair are unbelievable here (South Africa). Would like to have a go at some stage, but not sure whether to get in from the inside (engine compartment) or inside (then how to get under the dash?). If I wiggle my hanf in under the windshield I can feel the hatch going up and down, very frustrating! It would be great if anyone had pics of the unit dissassembled - I am still awaiting my Haynes workshop manual.
Any advice or comments appreciated.
Thanks
Rich Hall
South Africa
+27833187515
+27312014526

mattlfc79
9th May 2007, 04:59 PM
I have two Meganes, a 99' V Reg Hatchback & a 00' W Reg Cabriolet.

Both have the same air recirculation flap knocking noise when I turn them on.

I've seen a solution to the problem on a Megane review on the ciao website.

"Air recirculation flap went on 23K miles – somehow this dislodged itself from the motor and has not been able to retain it’s position since. There was a change in design in the year 2000. DEALER FIX : change out the airbox….a LOT of work! Cost £450.

MY SOLUTION: I just held the flap in the constantly open position with some wire, I never use recirc mode anyway cost 5p."

Could someone explain how I would - hold the flap in the constantly open position with some wire???

Thanks in advance

Do you have the link so I can see the review please? Theres so many to look through!!!!!

Cheers

bav
15th May 2007, 02:46 PM
have you tryed geta spare part from thr scrapyard the noise in my car sems to be getting very loud.

now i have a leak in dam sunroof the water goes in to the passenger side panel and seat belt compartment, had a leak where the sunroof control is aswell.

deano23285
15th May 2007, 03:23 PM
good idea bav, may nip down the scrappie tomorrow and have a look

markd
15th June 2007, 03:07 PM
Good luck

Just done this & now there is no knocking when i start the engine. For anyone else who does this the smaller connector is white that you have to pop out. It is underneath the panel is right next to the bas of the windscreen. :)

DanielX
17th June 2007, 08:26 PM
Surely sounds like the proverbial flap for swithching between internal and external air intake.
Usually the white cogweel's teeth wear out and the motor to the flap does not stop.

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/5169/picture20029rf7.th.jpg (http://img103.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture20029rf7.jpg)

Tricky Dicky
27th June 2007, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the input, I can find no other connector behind the bulkhead plate in the engine compartment, only the large red & black one, which controls only the blower, under the windscreen. Perhaps there is a difference in the models. Have photos...
Richard

deano23285
27th June 2007, 10:03 AM
Dan how did you find and remove the box and was it easy to fix?

lee8040
11th July 2007, 11:35 AM
hi, i get a strange clunking noise when i put my key in the ignition and turn it to on. this noise comes when the ignition is on and also when the engine has just started. it is coming from the engine bay, somewhere over near the left hand side. i think it may have something to do with the fan.

the noise is strange its klunk klunk klunk klunk klunk then stops.

can anyone think what maybe the problem?

lee8040
11th July 2007, 11:41 AM
i think it is the reciculation Flap/Motor

anyone no how much this costs to replace/fix?

my car does not have aircon does this matter?

chris m
11th July 2007, 12:03 PM
Hi Lee, this sounds like a problem other Megane owners have reported. I believe it is the interior fan recirculation flap. I'm not sure anyone has had a 100% cure but a forum search may reveal more info.

ottoman
11th July 2007, 05:28 PM
Quite an expensive repair I believe.

Quite a number of posts in the Forums covering this issue.

Regards

Ottoman

scatz
11th July 2007, 06:00 PM
Quite an expensive repair I believe.

Quite a number of posts in the Forums covering this issue.

Regards

Ottoman

Yup, 'dash-off' job me thinks:crazy:

lee8040
22nd July 2007, 06:36 AM
mine doesnt have air con but all the noises are the same is this still the recirculator motor/flap?

if i disconnect it does that mean the fan wont work?

tp123456
4th August 2007, 09:10 PM
if your not bothered about aircon, just remove the recircultion fuse, this stops the noise.

lee8040
6th August 2007, 07:16 AM
if your not bothered about aircon, just remove the recircultion fuse, this stops the noise.

my car doesnt have aircon. would there still be a fuse to stop this motor noise if my car doesnt have aircon?

Bob925
7th October 2007, 10:32 PM
Just out of interest, for when the inevitable happens :) - does this problem occur only on cars where recirculation is activated by pressing a button near the fan controls?

On my Megane you activate recirulation by turning the fan control anti-clockwise - there is no button to do this. I have not (yet) experienced this problem on my car and hopefully I won't (it's over 8 years old). On an 04 works Movano (nee Master) van we have had this same problem (fortunately a warranty job) and the recirculation of air is activated by a button rather than the fan control itself.

Cheers, Bob

lee8040
28th December 2007, 09:20 AM
Just out of interest, for when the inevitable happens :) - does this problem occur only on cars where recirculation is activated by pressing a button near the fan controls?

On my Megane you activate recirulation by turning the fan control anti-clockwise - there is no button to do this. I have not (yet) experienced this problem on my car and hopefully I won't (it's over 8 years old). On an 04 works Movano (nee Master) van we have had this same problem (fortunately a warranty job) and the recirculation of air is activated by a button rather than the fan control itself.

Cheers, Bob

mine is controlled by turning the knob anti clockwise and it has got this problem

markd
12th February 2008, 02:52 PM
I managed to disconnect the flap by disconnecting the cables a while back. The only problem now is that when i close the car door then there is a single knock every time.

It's caused by air pressure (when the window is down it's not a problem). Is the only solution to permanently fix the flap to open? If so has anyone got any advice about accessing the actual flap if they have done this? Thanks :)

markd
4th March 2008, 02:32 PM
I managed to disconnect the flap by disconnecting the cables a while back. The only problem now is that when i close the car door then there is a single knock every time.

It's caused by air pressure (when the window is down it's not a problem). Is the only solution to permanently fix the flap to open? If so has anyone got any advice about accessing the actual flap if they have done this? Thanks :)

Has anyone got any advice about securing or removing the air flap? Thanks

jimmycrank
30th July 2008, 02:52 PM
hey all

I have read this thread post to post, word for word and there seem to be a few people who have located the wire to the sensor with almost no effort, and there are other people, who like me, cannot gain access to the wire because of the air conditioning system.

my car has just been back for MOT and the mechanic is a friend of mine and he tried for me to locate the wire without success.

so if anybody has pictures to send me of where i can access the feed at its source, or how i can access the motor under from behind the aircon system i may just be able to kill the woodpecker that lives under my dashboard.
jimmy

delta1066
30th August 2008, 11:41 AM
Any ideas what it will cost to fix this on a 1.6e megane WITHOUT air con? Ours started this yesterday - rather loud knocking sounds..

Does it have to be fixed or will it continue being a pain?
Scrap yard parts any good?

deano23285
30th August 2008, 02:04 PM
my 1.6 RT Alize has air con which don't work and has the clicking fan and to be honest ive got used to the sound and just drown it out with metal music lol.

but from what i have been reading on here it can cost anywhere from £300 to £700 pounds depending on the cost of the part ans where you get it fixed.

you could try a scrapyard but there is no guarantee that the part there will be in working order and could just be a waste of money for you.

delta1066
31st August 2008, 10:38 AM
Is the unit totally sealed with absolutely no way to fix it?

deano23285
1st September 2008, 02:28 PM
the only thing i know that its accessed by removing the dash

chris m
10th January 2009, 01:01 PM
We have a fix submitted by a new member Click here (http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54681)

jpierpoint
16th May 2009, 02:09 PM
My son has just bought the above car. It's an 8 valve engine with air-con.

I've taken off the passenger side access panel at the base of the windscreen but am not confident that everything under there is the same as what has been previously been described in this thread. :confused:

I've attached 3 photo's to show what I found.

Could anyone advise please?

Many thanks in advance.

matwill86
25th May 2010, 09:42 PM
Im having the same noises, but also when the car is parked on a slope and i shut the door or boot something in the same region sounds like its bouncing or knocking on something...... any ideas ??????

Scenicexecutive
26th May 2010, 10:24 AM
Hi all - Same problem on my 2004 Scenic.
It is the flap that is trying to open and close and it's slipping on the gear or something. It does close and open, but takes about 5 seconds or so. Old age, I am sure of it.

metropol
6th July 2010, 11:13 AM
Same with me. Scenic II 2006 model.
When I start the engine or activate airrecirculation, the clicking noise is there.

Does anyone know where I can find technical manuals online in order to change this myself. For instance part number etc.

Alias
5th August 2010, 05:12 PM
Hi.
Here are more details regarding my problem.
When I turn the ignition key to the point where the dash lights up (and radio comes on), ie before the engine actually starts, I get a couple of clunking noises. When I turn the engine on, I get about 6 more clunks and then it stops, until the next time I turn it on.
I have aircon, which works fine.
We opened the bonnet and whether inside or outside the car, the noise is coming from in the bonnet at the steering wheel/driver's feet corner of the bonnet.
At weekends I drive about 500km and need to be sure that I'm not damaging the car or risking breaking down...
Thanks

mine does that... its nothing to do with the aircon or any flap etc its the CD player if you still have the renault one fitted.

andycoop62
13th September 2010, 08:02 PM
Mine does this, everything including the A/C works okay though so is there an issue?

thecatwhogotthemilk
12th October 2010, 11:44 AM
I have a W-reg 1.9dTi Megane. It does the clicking thing when the ignition is turned on and when the recirculation fan is switched on. The fan is next to useless in either mode. When set to dashboard vents, at full power on normal & recirculation settings it sounds like it is working, but moves very little air through the air vents. When set to windscreen vents, no air comes out so it is impossible to demist the screen. The heater works fine but the air-conditioning doesn't work. When the fan is on, sometimes it sounds like it is being switched on & off quickly, like it is going from ful power to low power to full power in about a second. What is wrong with the ventilation system and what needs fixing, because I need to be able to demist the screen, especially with winter coming.

Doghouse
27th October 2010, 04:22 PM
I brought my Megane from a garage on September 9th, I didn't really notice the clicking noise when they started the car before I brought it but the first time I started it after leaving the garage I noticed this clicking noise, I just thought it was something to do with the immobiliser. Anyway last week we had our first frost and after 30 mins of running the car the windscreen hadn't started to defrost or demist at all, I booked the car in at a local garage and today found out the problem is with the heater box and the clicking noise is caused by a broken flap. I'm really annoyed as the garage obviously knew there was a problem as they have maintainted the car for the previous owner since it was new. The warranty I was given when I brought the car won't cover the repair so I'm faced with a large bill as I can't drive around safely when I can't demist the windscreen.

rodney
18th November 2010, 12:08 PM
I've had the same problem for a few weeks, going in for repair tomorrow. Hopefully just the flap as everything working ok so not to costly, I'll let you know!

Bobbymax
10th January 2011, 03:13 PM
Got the same problem myself in a R Reg Megane RS.:mad:

Some good ideas of how to fix it on here, i am gonna have a look when i have the free time.

Many Thanks all for the ideas and help

CestDynamique
31st July 2011, 04:42 PM

Just thought I'd bump up markd's post to see if anyone is able to offer any advice about accessing the recirculation flap and jamming it open to prevent "flappage".
I was hoping markd himself might now be in a position offer some advice (as his post was over 3 years ago) but it appears he has not been active on the forum for around about the same time. :(

markschap2003
6th September 2011, 04:04 PM
it appeared to be a sealed unit, i know its not ideal but a small two ping connector, unclip it and no more horrible noises only thing it affects is air circulation part, i never used it anyway except for going through tunnels.

Pete2431
11th September 2011, 06:36 PM
Hi this is my first post on the forum.
I have read with interest the comments regarding the air recirculation flap. I have Megane cabriolet that started making the same clicking noise. Today I set about removing the unit. The car has aircon so if anyone else is repairing this themselves they will need to have the aircon degassed. When the unit was out I found the flap shaft was bent and the motor gear damaged. Not been able to get one from a breakers so I have replaced the unit minus the flap and motor.
if i dont come across any issues I will consider not replacing the flap.
Hope this helps others with the same problem.

999 megane
20th September 2011, 01:27 PM
I have just purchased a 1999 Megane 1.6 16V left hand drive with air con whilst in France, i could not believe my luck when i came across that thumping noise that happens when the recirculating fan is turned on along with the ignition. A Major problem with Meganes after reading about it within the forum. My question is how exactly do you get into the problem, i have read about owners holding a flap open with wire.
How serious is this problem, what else can be affected or damaged. :confused:

frenchkey
13th January 2012, 05:29 PM
nothing to worry about, you can unplug the wire from the flap electromotor, and fix it latter

redren
21st March 2012, 04:54 PM
I too am suffering from the knocking recirculation motor,I believe I have read every post on the subject including some brilliant step by step photos...unfortunately at the end where the photos showed the electrical connection to be uncoupled all I could see in my car (1998 megane 1.9dti with air con) was a load of renault grey plastic.
Can anyone please give any advice where to find it?

And the flap if that needs wiring up

Thank you

neilcrowe1
16th April 2012, 11:01 AM
I have the same issue with the clicking noise from the steering column, however with mine i have the Air and service light on. in addition with the car switched off (i have keyless entry and start button) the steering lock doesn't engage. are these related?? and if so what needs to be done??

petewakey
11th May 2012, 08:03 AM
when i switch the ignition on in my 2000 megane cc 1600 auto i hear loudish clicking and a motor noise from the left side of the dashbord it stops after about 5 seconds, this also happens if the recirculating fan is switched on. car runs ok when started.
this happens to mine, its just the computer managment kicking in mate, nothing to worry about

shirli
18th May 2012, 01:16 PM
had the same clicking noise on my old coupe, was told it was the heater box. never got round to getting it fixed, ran it for a yr n a half with that noise, more annoying that anything else. when i replaced my coupe a few weeks ago with another coupe i kinda missed the clicking noise lol

petewakey
9th July 2012, 09:10 AM
this is normal mate, it does it on my megane, its just the inlet motor kicking in nothing to worry about

steve30300
13th July 2012, 03:55 PM
Hi this is my first post on the forum.
I have read with interest the comments regarding the air recirculation flap. I have Megane cabriolet that started making the same clicking noise. Today I set about removing the unit. The car has aircon so if anyone else is repairing this themselves they will need to have the aircon degassed. When the unit was out I found the flap shaft was bent and the motor gear damaged. Not been able to get one from a breakers so I have replaced the unit minus the flap and motor.
if i dont come across any issues I will consider not replacing the flap.
Hope this helps others with the same problem.

Did you manage to remove the flap, have the same problem, so far have just removed the connector which stops the clicking when ignition is first switched on but would like to remove the flap completely.
On stripping down a far way I cannot see how to split the aircon apart to remove flap, as it sits behind a bulkhead underneath the windscreen lower panel.

forlix
1st September 2012, 08:40 PM
I have this issue and its the only reason I could curse my car for having an air con... It is indeed impossible to remove the fan unit without draining the air con and separating the connector to the intermediate unit where the evaporator is. I've been trying things all day... with a lot of brutal force its possible to push the intermediate unit away from the fan - not enough to get the fan out, BUT enough to unscrew the air recycling flap motor box from it :devil:
I removed the windscreen wiper motor which helped a little, and tried removing the wiper mechanism, which was impossible - apparently it can only be removed after removing the intermediate unit. Somehow I also managed to remove the scuttle panel.

Anyway, the mechanical stop and gears of the flap itself are OK, but inside the motor box one gear lost all of its teeth and another has lost two. So if I'm lucky, I can find a good box on ebay and just take out the gears (replacing the whole box would be very difficult, the cable is taped together with others and goes behind the intermediate unit).

By the way, the motor gets current all the time the ignition is on, not just when its moving. There is no stop detection - the box has 3 wires, +12V from the 20A heater fuse (A1), GND (C1), and a direction selector wire (B1), which can be left open for one direction and pulled to ground for the other. The motor is connected in series via a 51 Ohm resistor, so when it reaches the mechanical stop it simply blocks and 0.1 A continue to flow. Its probably advisable to change the resistor to something higher, as it seemed to me the torque at the end of the gear train was a little overkill, hence ruining the gears...

If anyone managed to take out the fan unit without draining the air con please let me know the trick... I really dont want to drain it.

Some pictures are attached :)

forlix
29th September 2012, 10:14 PM
Reporting back - 4 weeks have passed and I've learned a lot. Since I'm a perfectionist at heart, I didnt want to buy a replacement motor box as the gears would be either broken already or break some time in the future for sure. So I decided to machine replacement gears from brass :d ...oh boy, what a huge project just to fix an air recirculation flap :rofl:.

I had never made any gears before so this took a lot of figuring out. My dad is a precision mechanic and has a very well equipped workshop incl. lathe and milling machine at home. I didnt go for perfect gears with involute teeth, as I didnt want to buy the special cutters needed (I was surprised when I asked my dad and he told me he does not have them :shocked:). So I simply used small saw blades on the mill (0.6 and 0.8 mm), cutting the gaps between the teeth with 3 cuts each, giving a simplified but sufficient tooth shape. I lathed down the original plastic gears, removing the broken teeth and making room to mount my replacements.

So today I've put everything together, closed the motor box and mounted it back to the fan unit. And the flap works like a charm - up, down, fresh air, recirculated air, perfect!! In the end I decided not to exchange the resistor as mentioned in my last post. After seeing and hearing the flap in action it was pretty clear the motor power is already close to the minimum required.

So there you go, another possible way to solve this issue. Now I probably own the most durable air recirculation flap motor box on the planet that will outlive the car by decades :rofl:

If anyone is interested in this quality fix, let me know. I could machine more parts with relatively little effort since I got everything figured out now. Work takes around 6 hours for everything though since its not CNC.

Arus
2nd October 2012, 10:56 AM
You my friend, are a genius!
If you ever decide to make more of these gears, you will have a good number of customers here!

Arus
2nd October 2012, 10:58 AM
If anyone is interested in this quality fix, let me know. I could machine more parts with relatively little effort since I got everything figured out now. Work takes around 6 hours for everything though since its not CNC.

How much will you be asking for these parts?
Ive had this issue since I bought the car, and it's about time I fixed it!

I normally stop it happening by keeping the dial slightly to the recirculated air side!

Thanks

forlix
2nd October 2012, 07:01 PM
How much will you be asking for these parts?
Ive had this issue since I bought the car, and it's about time I fixed it!

I normally stop it happening by keeping the dial slightly to the recirculated air side!

Thanks

I'd say 35 Euros (28 pounds) + shipping is a good price. This is for the two gears in my post - you'll have to mail me your gears to be worked on because as you can see on the pictures, I'm not remaking the complete gears, but only the teeth (for the white one a little bit more for stability).

So check with your gearbox if you have the same defects as I had (small white gear and grey gear). If your defects differ, just post some pictures and I can assess what could be done about it :)

stuart75
2nd October 2012, 07:38 PM
Hey forlix nice work mate on fixing the problem. Now how much to for you to make me some gears so i can fix mine?? Cheers bud

Arus
2nd October 2012, 10:18 PM
Stuart, look up =D

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Arus
2nd October 2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks Forlix. It may be a number of days till I get a chance, and I am a novice, but I will let you know =D

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

anodynos
11th November 2012, 12:27 PM
HOW TO STOP NOISE FROM FLAP WHEN CLOSING DOORS.
Hi my name is Kostadino from Greece and i post some photos to show how i stopped the flap on a megane 1, model 1999 1,4 16v with air condition.

Removed all plastic covers and windscreen wiper arms. I saw the flap motor and its plug that was unplugged some years ago by a Renault mechanic.I figured the flap must be somewhere near the flap motor. I searched that area and is located 20-25cm down from the iron tube between the wiper arms. Check my photos. I tied the thick wire with another wire thinner on the iron tube.
Before fastenning the wire use the wipers to see what moves and what stays still. The flap doesnt need too much pressure to be immobolized and the sound will be gone forever.

Joabab
20th November 2012, 12:19 PM
Now I know what the problem is. I have similar noise when I swich on my air con. It irritates passengers but I am used to it. The renault garrage at Ipswich couldnt tell me what the problem was.

cwejay
23rd December 2012, 11:31 AM
Had the same issue. Car has no aircov, so just disconnected the motor

thedebs53
5th June 2013, 07:27 AM
Not sure if any use cuz mine looks different but worth a look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1PWgNT7GUM

Meganitis
31st August 2013, 10:48 PM
Dear Forlix

I know you wrote it a year ago but your post on the air-recirculation flap fix was superb.

If I sent you money through Paypal would you still be able to send me some metallised gears if I sent you mine once I've got into the motor part?

I have a Mk I Megane coupe 2002 with air-con. Would be extremely grateful as I would dearly love to recondition the car, recently bought, to something like its former glory....

With thanks
Alex, London

camel070
24th January 2014, 08:22 PM
hello every body i'm new to this site.
does anyone know what's the renault part number of this flap motor?
thanks