: Renault - Scenic I - Unlocking And Entering Car With Flat Battery* Fixed*

endeval
24th February 2007, 08:52 AM
Hi all,

My first post.
2002 1.9 diesel Scenic - Key entry - not card.

Hope ye can help me please. Left the lights on my 2002 scenic yesterday for over 11 hours while at work.
Came out, and realised it, centre locking wouldnt work, etc.

I tried to open all doors including boot, with the key but it seems jammed or blocked, maybe deadbolts or something?

I dont know what I can do now to get at the battery.

Anyone help/know whats going on?

Thanks!
James.

Getafix
24th February 2007, 09:07 AM
Hi endeval

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear you can't unlock the doors manually,i'm at a loss as to what to suggest.
Hopefully the answer will be suggested soon.

(don't break the windows just yet.)

:) :)

chris m
24th February 2007, 09:22 AM
WElcome to the forum. You can normally get in through the passenger door with the manual key. Failing that you may need to get the bonnet open somehow and charge the battery

endeval
24th February 2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks all.

No luck, looked at the car. Key wont budge any way left or right.

Was considering to pop out one of the little bonnet/rad grilles to get to the bonnet release but dont know because that could be deadlocked also.

We called a callout guy and he will jack the car and boost from the alternator connections to get power in the hope the Central locking unit will allow the doors to be open.

We looked at the option of poping the drivers door fly window, twice - but took a step back and put the hammer down :)

Very strange - you'd hope Renault wouldnt enply some thing where the passenger door lock isnt deadlocked just because the battery died...

Thanks.
James.

coffeemad dad
24th February 2007, 12:47 PM
I thought that using the key was mechanical and didn`t rely on electrical power. I`m sure I`ve read on here that if you use your keys to open the door without pressing the "plip" the alarm goes off?

Charles50
24th February 2007, 03:09 PM
Seems obvious, but are you sure that it is the right key? Have you ever used it before to unlock the doors? If you haven't it might be the wrong key blade fitted in the correct remote unit ...

coffeemad dad
24th February 2007, 11:15 PM
That would be embarrassing!

Carr30
25th February 2007, 07:58 AM
We had a flat battery in our Scenic 02 model and the central locking wouldn't respond to the plip.
The key lock on the passenger side DID work OK though and we were then able to open all the doors from inside. Presumably it's on the passenger side because it's never likely to be used and was not made part of the RHD conversion.
It certainly works when it IS needed though.

endeval
26th February 2007, 06:06 AM
Hi all,
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I got to the car and tried some WD40 in the lock and attempted to exercise it, no real luck.

Called a breakdown guy out, he tried something like WD40, maybe a contact cleaner and spent 5 mins trying to exercise the lock, no luck. Got in via rear window.

After opening the door and using the central locking a few times, it freed up the door lock and all is ok now. He says Renault use different types of metals in the lock so they can adodize against each other and cause this.

Thanks!
James

ottoman
11th March 2008, 05:43 PM
Hi all,
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I got to the car and tried some WD40 in the lock and attempted to exercise it, no real luck.

Called a breakdown guy out, he tried something like WD40, maybe a contact cleaner and spent 5 mins trying to exercise the lock, no luck. Got in via rear window.

After opening the door and using the central locking a few times, it freed up the door lock and all is ok now. He says Renault use different types of metals in the lock so they can adodize against each other and cause this.

Thanks!
James

Glad you got it sorted James, Thanks for keeping us updated.