: Renault Scenic 1 - General Advice On Interior Water Ingress

Margaret Dawson
5th March 2007, 09:33 AM
I have an R reg Scenic and have always noticed a sloshing sound coming from the passengers side but never though much of it.
Now it is leaking big time - about 2 inches of water in the footwell under both front seats, soaked carpets and water in the storage compartments in the back.
I have read several forums and they all appear to suggest its caused by a blocked drainpipe in the sunroof - when trying to remove this pipe and blow through to remove the blockage the pipe was stuck fast and would not come off - I am loath to take it to the garage as I am paying back a loan of 1,500 for a new transmission I had to have fitted recently.
Help please!!

Maggie

zaphod
5th March 2007, 10:01 AM
Hi,

I'm the exact same - it's gone really bad recently with all the rain we've gotten.

I've got a suspicion that mine might be to do with the ariel - anyone know if that is possible? Reason I think that is I never had a problem with leaks, however one day I stupidly forgot to put down the ariel when going through a carwash and it got pushed back fairly far, almost breaking off. The next day during a heavy shower of rain I noticed a small trickle of water coming in through the interior lights.

It never did do that again though so I thought nothing more of it - but now that it's started to fill the rear compartments I'm beginning to wonder. Maybe yours is the same? Either that or like other poeple think it could be the sunroof drain pipe.

Let me know if you get yours sorted- might help me fix mine!

madnoel10
5th March 2007, 11:28 AM
Yeh - I've seen similar probs., in different types of cars over the years. Whilst the sunroof can leak it normally doesn't cause water ingress to this extent. I would check the air intake area for the heater (normally just in front of the windscreen) - this area will have drainage holes which tend to get blocked by leaves etc. When the water can't get away it flows through the heater air inlet down the back of the carpets and ends up runing towards the back of the car. If the car is fitted with a pollen filter you'll probably find its needs replacing. Remember if air can get into the cab so can water - always check the easy bits first. Let us know what happens. Unfortunately water ingress to this extent can cause aditional damage (rotted carpets, short circuits in wiring, etc) - get it sorted ASAP or you'll hit worse problems in the near future. Hope this helps.:)

Margaret Dawson
5th March 2007, 01:34 PM
Hi

What I can't understand is how the drainpipe from the sunroof can effect the underneath of the front seats..where is the water coming out?

chris m
5th March 2007, 01:55 PM
Welcome to the forums. If it is leakage from the sunroof it can run down either the front pillars or down the seatbelt guides (see if seatbelt is wet). Other causes are the arial (remove and reseal with silicone), or the rear light clusters or as noel says the air intake.

ps. no need to remove the drainpipes, just blow through from above or rod them with a flexible net curtain wire.

madnoel10
5th March 2007, 02:08 PM
Check the air intake first - its the most likely source - but as far as I know the drain pipes are routed down the front screen columns and drain either into the front air intake scuttle or in behind the front wheel arch liners. The water is gotta go somewhere and it will be to a wet area in the car such as I describe above. Is all else fails get a few gold-fish!:rofl:

zaphod
5th March 2007, 05:50 PM
Don't know what it's like where you are right now but here it is absoloutly bucketing down rain and I've had the car parked in it all day - I'm dreading getting into it after work now..... didn't bring any wellies!

I'm going to take a look at the air intake - cheers for that suggestion, and my ariel - hope for my shoe's sake it's one of them.

Thanks

Margaret Dawson
5th March 2007, 06:41 PM
I managed to get the drainpipe off the sunroof but burst several blood vessels trying to blow through to clear the blockage - seems to be completely bunged up.
I may be being completely thick asking this..but where do I check for the "air intake"?

Thanks

madnoel10
5th March 2007, 07:19 PM
Hi margraet - the air intake for the heating ventilation system is directly in front of the windscreen - if you open the bonnet and look just below the wipers you will see a plastic cover with open mesh holes in it. You will need to remove this cover and have a look in - you will see some drain holes usually around the corners - poke them clear with a pice of wire and remove any other debris. To check it clear pour a kettle of fairly warm water and see if it runs out. In cold weather you should notice it running on to the ground - at this time of year you should be able to notice the steam rising, etc.
P.S. Waana buy a used pair of pink Barbie welly boots!:)

Margaret Dawson
5th March 2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks for that..I'd rather a pair of yellow ones if you have any, and a matching sou'ester.
I shall have a rummage around tomorrow and if I don't have any luck I'm sure a bonfire should dry it out nicely.

madnoel10
5th March 2007, 07:57 PM
:rofl: Sorry Maragret - we are all out of stock of wellies - would you be interested in a few plastic ducks or a couple of goldfish. Good Squelching:)

Margaret Dawson
7th March 2007, 06:32 PM
Took car to garage after several attemps to 'do it myself' they put an air pump in the sunroof drainpipe and it exploded apparently!
Silt had collected and turned to concrete almost - they removed a couple of bungs and 2 galons of water came out - it has stopped the slooshing and hopefully once its dried out I won't have the problem again - only cost me 40 for labour.

Pos
8th March 2007, 02:35 PM
I have the same problem as this with my 2002 Scenic. We have no sunroof though so where could this be leaking? I have removed the cover below the windscreen and all seems clear and dry but I may have missed something. Is it worth checking in the back to see if the leak is from there?

madnoel10
8th March 2007, 02:49 PM
Hi Poss. I see youv'e checked the inlet area in front of the bonnet - did you pour some water in to see if it was escaping quickly - when driving especially in heavy rain the water can come in quicker than it can escape (the least amount of blockage can cause probs). My next move would be to check around the rear lights as they are prone to leakage around the seals. You'll need to clear the boot area (carpets and all unnnecssary kit). Dry the area best you can then cover the floor area with a light sprinkle of talcum powder. Either hose the rear of the vehicle working from the bottom up ot wait the next bout of rain (that won't take long):d Any ingress of water should leave a clear mark on the talced area. If this doesn't help at least you've made the car smell nice.:) Let us know how things go!

coffeemad dad
8th March 2007, 02:55 PM
Have you checked the interior lights and sensor console. Water gets in through the ariel bolt hole.

Pos
21st March 2007, 04:39 PM
Poured a bucket of water into the scuttle below the screen and it all drains via the holes at the sides and appears to come out below the car. Looked in back of car and all is dry. I removed the rear seats and the passenger seat and the floor is wet from the front foot well back to the cubby hole in front of the rear seats. We get a sloshing noise in the floor when stopping. Sounds like the water is rushing down the sills. If it is in the sill how does it get there and how do I get it out, short of drilling a hole in it?

madnoel10
21st March 2007, 04:53 PM
Have you checked the drain pipes/hoses from the sunnroof/s. THe sills should ave drain holes - usually along the lower edge seam. Get down have a look and poke with a fine bit of wire.:) Better still why not give a few goldfish a home at least until simmer arrives.:)

Pos
22nd March 2007, 01:33 PM
I don't have a sunroof, so that's not the problem. I'll check the sill drains. I couldn't find them originally.

Pos
27th March 2007, 03:53 PM
I have finally found the drains for the sill. There is a bung under the underseal at the rear of the sill. Also if you look at the weld seam along the bottom there are 2 points where the inner side of the seam 'ripples'. Poke a thin piece of wire into these and keep them clear. When I removed the bung the water flooded out. Still don't know where it gets in but now it wont build up. Thanks for all the advice.

madnoel10
27th March 2007, 05:09 PM
Well done POS did any goldfish emerge:d , The drain holes along the seam are quite small and need to be cleaned on a regular basis - just don't expect a garage to check this during a service. Did you replace the rubber bungs (grommets) - these bigger holes ar for injecting rust-proofing during manufacture. During the winter months it is possible for any water trapped inside to freeze up causing a blockage and things tend to escalate from there on. Hope all is well now but keep and eye on in case dirt inside swills about and blocks it again.
P.S. Have a look at the drainholes on the bottom of the doors as well - you never know!:)

andyfsk
27th November 2007, 12:51 PM
Well done POS did any goldfish emerge:d , The drain holes along the seam are quite small and need to be cleaned on a regular basis - just don't expect a garage to check this during a service. Did you replace the rubber bungs (grommets) - these bigger holes ar for injecting rust-proofing during manufacture. During the winter months it is possible for any water trapped inside to freeze up causing a blockage and things tend to escalate from there on. Hope all is well now but keep and eye on in case dirt inside swills about and blocks it again.
P.S. Have a look at the drainholes on the bottom of the doors as well - you never know!:)

hi been reading about wet carpets i ve got same probs with wife s scenic ,been trying for weeks to find leak, will be looking for drain holes on sills as soon as weather lets up . cheers ,andy

andyfsk
27th November 2007, 03:37 PM
had a good look for drain holes ,can t find them ,any pointers anyone, cheers andy

Pos
27th November 2007, 08:37 PM
Hi Andy, The sill drains are basically gaps in the seem weld along the bottom. There's one near the front and another towards the rear of the front door. They are quite thin and you need a thin wire (~1mm diameter) to probe and release the water.
There is also a rubber bung at the rear in front of the rear wheel arch.
Good luck.

andyfsk
28th November 2007, 07:57 AM
Hi Andy, The sill drains are basically gaps in the seem weld along the bottom. There's one near the front and another towards the rear of the front door. They are quite thin and you need a thin wire (~1mm diameter) to probe and release the water.
There is also a rubber bung at the rear in front of the rear wheel arch.
Good luck.

thanks ,will have a look this afternoon as there is a lot of water slooshing around.cheers

andyfsk
28th November 2007, 10:19 PM
hi,eventually got the sills drained,and 2 inches of mud behind front arch covers ,cleaned out mud and now water pours down fromengine bulk head, so hopefully carpets will dry out,cheers for help andy

blue billy
14th December 2007, 07:32 PM
Had exactly the same problem last year (s reg 1.6)
TWIN SUNROOFS NOT THE PROBLEM
The problem is caused by a build up of silt and debris blocking the drainage outlet behind the front wheels (where if you have them, the front mudflaps would be).
Water runs down the windscreen, when this drain becomes blocked the water overflows into the sill and then through
to the floor. The sloshing is the water trapped between the 2 floor levels. Unscrew hexagonal screws holding plastic in place at the back of the wheelarch behind wheel, carefully pull out about an inch and wash/scrape out the gunge.
Any water trapped in the sills can be drained by removing the bungs in sill about 6 inches in front of back wheels. I dried out the car by removing the carpet from the floorbins in the back, stuffing with towels, and driving round, finally using a fan heater for a day.
Hope this helps.

Lagdti
14th December 2007, 10:15 PM
Welcome to the forum Blue Billy.:)

Thanks for your advice,I'm sure that other members will find it usefull.:)

andyfsk
16th December 2007, 08:22 PM
hi i had same sloshing and have no sunroof,found sills full of water,i cleaned holes in sills & cleared drain holes in front of windscreen,also removed 3 screws behind front wheels &pulled back plastic arch covers there was about 6 inches of mud cleared &flushed out mud, water now runs down a lot quicker,only problem now is drying out carpets,but no water coming in now & theres been plenty rain up here since then .cheers andy

josh1959
22nd January 2008, 12:06 PM
Hi folks, new to the forum.

My wifes Scenic '01 RXE has a leak but the leak shows up in the headling cloth in the passenger side above the door pillar.

The garage have taken a look a few times and the last time they said they sealed up " a few things", but no luck. Previously I poked a long piece of curtain wire down the drainhole, but that did'nt do the trick. Had a very quick look last week when it was raining and the water seems to be coming out from the sunroof alright (near the connection for the yellow (drain ?) pipe and is then running down the headling and collecting where it is.

Should I have a go and cleaning the area behind the front mud flap having removed the plastic wheel arch protector or should I try something else first.

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

Josh

madnoel10
22nd January 2008, 12:45 PM
Hi josh1959 - dfeinitely worth checking behind the inner plastic cover behind the fornt wheel as crud can cause blockage - you could also try poking a piece of wire upwards - dont use any form of air pressure as it could cause the pipe to split or blow off its connecton. I use and old piece of stretchy curtain wire whilst I have also used and old guiter string (lower E is best):d

98scenic
8th March 2008, 02:08 PM
I have just discovered the two rear floor compartments were pretty damp with water ingress

Checked the sunroofs for leaks, none found, checked air vent intake (front) and drain holes, they were clear, removed the front wheel arch liners, cleared a stack of mud/debris away

I have tried my best to dry out the compartment carpets in situ, with not much luck, how do I remove the carpets ?

Thanks, and this is an excellent thread too !

madnoel10
8th March 2008, 03:56 PM
Removing the carpet can be quite a difficult job as you will need to remove the seats, etc. Follwing seat removal you may have to get the airbag system reset. It may be worth using a wet vacuum cleaner to suck all the excefs off and then see if will dry naturally. You could try a commercial valet company who are likely to have the equipment for such work. Professional companies tend to use dehumidifiers for really good results:)

98scenic
8th March 2008, 09:19 PM
After my post of earlier today, had to pop out again this evening, its now raining outside...........water ingress again on only a very short journey of 4miles and its hardly pouring down either

When I cleaned the front wheel liner earlier today, I only removed the bottom screw, is it likely that this is still the problem ?

I removed both bungs on the sills, no water at all in there, checked all drain holes (and at the bottom of the doors too)

There appears to be no leak from either sunroof of from aerial mounting positions, I have checked all over the headlining, seatbelt mounting points etc, to be honest the amount of water in the rear compartments indicates it cant be coming from above, as surely I would be very noticeable ?

Anything else I can do or anywhere else for me to check for this pesky leak ?

98scenic
9th March 2008, 11:36 AM
Further to my last nights post and having a dry driveway today

Took the two screws out in the front wheel arch, then found a tube in the wheel arch liner, which had a flap at the end of it

Opened the flap, nothing came out, but it was blocked, poked some wire into the opening and low and behold a fair amount of water and crud came running out of it

Did the same on the other side of the car, same result

What does puzzle me though, where do these tubes run from

I tried pouring some water in front of the windscreen and that runs freeling down the wheel arch lining, but, not done the tube

Any suggestions as to where its routed from and how do I check its clear now ?

A big thanks to all :)

madnoel10
9th March 2008, 01:53 PM
The tubes in the front wheel arches normaly originate from the front corners of the sunroof - if fitted. Ideally you'll need to rod them from the top to ensure they are clear. It is possible the water in the rear compartments is collecting via a leak in the boot area. The seals around the rear lamps are the usual suspects.:)

GarethL
13th March 2008, 10:22 PM
I also have a leaky Scenic. I've cleaned out the front sunroof water tubes and the areas behind the front wheel trims. My car has a rear sunroof but I can't find where the drain pipes exit. Does any one know where this is?

madnoel10
14th March 2008, 02:40 PM
Hi Graeth as far as I know the drain tubes for the rear sunroof exit behind the plastic mud catchers at the rear wheels:)

GarethL
14th March 2008, 07:39 PM
Thanks, I'll have to have another poke around. Fingers crossed!!

highnoon
16th March 2008, 01:33 PM
Hi.
During last week my 1997 Scenic started to smell of damp which i traced to water ingress into the rear passenger side underfloor storage compartment. I dried it out and then also noticed the boot carpet was damp on the passenger side.
On further investigation it appears water is entering the car through the rubber gaiter that surrounds the area where the hatch wiring loom enters the main body. It then runs down behind the vent surrounding the hatch support strut, runs down behind the main boot panel and out under the carpet. I can only assume that it then carries on under the rear seats and into the floor compartment.
This is also causing the rear of the head lining to become damp on the same side.
As soon as the weather dries up a bit i 'm going to try some sealant around the gaiter.
Anyone else found this area to be prone to leaking?

highnoon
24th March 2008, 10:44 AM
Problem solved. Turned out both front and rear passenger side sun roof drain tubes where blocked. Cleaned large amount of silt/mud from behind both front wheel arch liners and unblocked all four drain tube ends. Rear ones a little harder to see when you remove rear wheel arch liners than fronts but easy enough to remove blockage once located.
Thanks for all information posted, most helpful in quest for a dry car. :)

kamperman
9th September 2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks for all this info guys..i just finished cleaning half a pound of crap from behind the front wheelarch liners, made one hell of a difference!!!, just gotta dry out the soggy car now...once again cheers for all your info

Regards Paul

healdx
17th September 2008, 05:15 PM
I have just fixed the water ingress problem with my R Reg Scenic. It was coming in through the ariel (the garage said)
Load of cobblers. The black sealant used by Renault to seal the windows actually shrinks with age and therefore allows water in at just about every point around the windscreen.
I went round to my local Auto Windscreen man, bought a tube of sealer, resealed the windscreen from Inside, and hey presto NO MORE WATER LEAKS ANYWHERE - DRY AS A BONE.

Asterix
17th September 2008, 05:17 PM
Glad you were able to locate the ingress, others will find this a help when trying to trace the problem

Cowly60
19th October 2008, 04:38 PM
Hi to all

New to this site, but looking through the site came to this thread

Water ingress into the scenic IS known by renault, it is a major problem,

Cars from 1998 - 2002, and i think others also,

Start and work as listed =

1. Remove wipers, & scuttle at base of windscreen, outside,

2. Inspect, clean, dry, cable loom that goes down from under wiper motor mechanism, this goes into a plastic pipe bend, through the base below the wiper, into engine bay, and into the car up under the dash, above the pedals, below all the carpets & underlay, this pipe looks sealed, BUT IS NOT WATER PROOF,

3. If you can open this pipe bend (it is in 2 parts) open it up and dry it out,

4. Fill it up with a sealant, and refit, cover with sealant on top, and also in the car.

5. When all is back together, cut a plastic box so you have a corner and part of the sides, fill up with sealing compound, and fit this over the cables, it must be a tight fit due to the wiper actuation rods just above the cables, so water will fall on to this new cover a run away from the cables.

6. By now you will have noticed the wiper motor protection cover, where all the water runs off, and onto the cables.

This water can and will fill up the floor of the car level with the doors, and if door seals are in good condition will fill up around 20cms above the floor,

First indication is often the rear under floor storage compartments get damp.......... wet..........flooded........... I know from bitter experience, with a car 8 months old, parked up for 2 weeks, and bailed out 12 gallon, then drained out the sills, then parked the car in a HOT boiler house for 2 weeks after removing all carpets and under lay, all replaced by renault.

And yes I did say 20 gallons

Good luck with the dry-out

Cowly60

glenlesjd
31st October 2008, 01:51 AM
as Margarets original post suggests, my wifes scenic started leaking after a heavy rainfall, through, as i discovered, the aerial mount. this inturn filled up the remote sensor oval dark red cover.
the morning after the rain she tried to get in via the plip but to no avail due to the thing being full of water.
i found the nut that secures the aerial to the roof to be loose so i whacked some clear sealer under and around the mount inside and out, tightened the nut and thought that was it.
it occured twice more so i just kept tightening the nut until is stopped.
been fine now for 18 months.
hope this helps.

les.

nick21
17th January 2009, 05:18 PM
i have a s reg scenic and water collecting in the drivers footwell , have cleared all the muck out from behind wheelarches , and while water flows out alright from them it backs up and seeps from the lower part of dash , on the bit that's below the heater vent , round about at right knee level - ish

madnoel10
17th January 2009, 06:24 PM
Sounds like the water isn't getting away fast enough via the drains in the windscreen scuttle panel. Have you tried cleaning and flushing them from the top.:)

nick21
18th January 2009, 11:45 AM
have just tried that and it seems to have cleared the driver side problem , but not the passenger side , although on this side it drips from just below the speaker , i will try poking a wire from the top and see if there's a blockage , luckily this side doesn't seem to be as bad as the drivers side , the floor never seems wet

thanks for your help

rivendell123
21st January 2009, 11:04 AM
HI. You would not believe the amount of water I took out from the footwells this morning. Felt carpet looked a little damp. I lifted it out and found that the ENTIRE WELL was full of water, 4+ litres. I took out all the foam padding (also saturated) and am letting them drip dry.
I did clean drains and archces. Dry so far!

But don't forget to check UNDER the carpet!

rivendell123

Deltic18
26th February 2009, 10:08 PM
Behind the covers to the rear of the front wheel arch you'll find the sunroof drain pipes on the ends there is a flap valve and these block up with silt resulting in the pipe filling up with water, you'll have to remove the moulding to the rear of the front wheel to remove the arch cover also, and replace the double sided tape which helps to mount it to the sill. There are also drains under the scuttle panel which block up with rubbish which accounts for the sloshing sound you can hear, you will have to remove the windscreen wipers and rubber strip plus a few screws with Torx (star) heads to remove this black plastic panel to gain access. It not a hard job just a bit fiddlely and time consuming but well worth the effort.

darksecretz
11th April 2009, 03:31 PM
Hi guys...

I too am having alot of problems with water ingress and the roof lining is also now visably wet front passenger windscreen strut/visor area.

I also have water ingress in the boot area and have double s/roofs :eek:

I am now suspecting the overflow pipes are well and truly blocked, have read this thread and I presume you have to remove the car wheel to get this cowl off the wheel arch/es??

Have just had the cover off the windscreen and cleaned that out (not that they were blocked, but now it is extra clean there)

rivendell123
12th April 2009, 12:21 AM
Hi.
Yes, taking off the wheel is the easiest way to get at things. A VERY easy job after that, a t20 hex will remove the arch linings and then a length of window curtain wire or similar to push the pipe clean. made a bi difference to us

regards

rivendell123

darksecretz
12th April 2009, 12:01 PM
Hi.
Yes, taking off the wheel is the easiest way to get at things. A VERY easy job after that, a t20 hex will remove the arch linings and then a length of window curtain wire or similar to push the pipe clean. made a bi difference to us

regards

rivendell123

Cheers Rivendell,

as today is dry.. I will have a go and see what happens, just have to keep the children out of the way.
Also will do the mastic at Ariel..

fingers x'd this sorts the issue

:)

darksecretz
12th April 2009, 08:02 PM
Well, after much faffing about eventually got both cowls off the car.. front pipe let out about 2 tablespoons water, no obvious blockages, and wire went up the pipe easily.

Rear pipe, a plug of crud about 1inch came out and then about 1/2 pint of water,

so now we will see if this has resolved the problem.

watch this space :)

dive buddha
25th April 2009, 08:12 AM
i recently bought a renualt scenic 1.6 16v fudji on a 03 plate and for t he first time yesterday i gave the car a good jet washing !

all was well until i fired the car up and the blower fan kicked in and noticed a quick spray of water (an egg cup full) spray onto the passenger side carpet?

is this normal? i would say not?

has anyone else encountered similar or knows whats causing it i would be really appreciative of the advice :d

darksecretz
26th April 2009, 03:38 PM
Well, after much faffing about eventually got both cowls off the car.. front pipe let out about 2 tablespoons water, no obvious blockages, and wire went up the pipe easily.

Rear pipe, a plug of crud about 1inch came out and then about 1/2 pint of water,

so now we will see if this has resolved the problem.

watch this space :)

Well, I cant say for def if this has cured my problem BUT we havent had sufficiant rain, to test it properly.

TIMSMALL
9th June 2009, 10:49 PM
Our car started to develop a damp drivers footwell after heavy rain. I poured water on the sunroof and noticed the water entering the car from the bottom of the dashboard on the far right just under wing mirror height. After reading several posts I located the sunroof drain pipes behind the front wheel arch liners and found the area full of mud and debris which when removed allowed the pipes to drain freely thus fixing the leak into the car. The reason for my post is to state that that the wheels do not need to removed to carry out this task. Simply turn the steering wheel in the direction of the side your working on and there is plenty of room to access the two Hex screws and the plastic `push in` fastener.
Thanks for the advice on the site.

james90
26th July 2009, 09:36 PM
Hi guys,

I too have a leaky scenic, 1999 facelift one.
It has the twin sunroof and my drivers footwell is soaked as are the rear cubby holes. when its wet and i am driving the car it will drip from the interior lights.

Today i have checked the front sunroof drains and they were fine and i cleared the silt from behind the cover at the rear of the front wheel arch. satisfied that this wasnt my problem i proceeded to partially take the headlining off. Upon doing so i found out that it is wet and on the passenger side quite mouldy (looks fine from underneath) and there were drips of water on some of the tubes/pipes up there.

I had an assistant pour a few jugs of water over the sunroof whilst i sat in the car trying to see where the water was coming from but i could not.

Any ideas?

Cheers

momist
26th July 2009, 10:21 PM
when its wet and i am driving the car it will drip from the interior lights.

My 1998 Scenic had water dripping from the interior light and I tracked this down to the aerial. Unfortunately, the roof panel is triple thickness here, so it's difficult to repair. I understand that the proper solution is to remove the interior light, remove the "waterproofing", and then remove the aerial by unscrewing the fixing inside, and remount with some silicon rubber to seal it. What I did was remove the "waterproofing" and then put some new plastic coated gaffer tape over to keep the water from getting into the lights. The water still got in at the aerial, but didn't get any further. This lasted for over a year before I scrapped the car.

HTH

mark23200
29th August 2009, 12:46 PM
Once again this forum comes to my rescue, Thanks for all the info now the kids,wife,dog can put the scuba gear away!!!
Many,Many Thanks:d:d:d
Mark

celtic_bhoy
29th August 2009, 02:16 PM
roof mounted aerials on can Renaults leak, it's an easy fix though.

All you need to do is get yourself some silicon sealer or instant gasket, a 10mm socket (IIRC) and a torx screwdriver (can't remember the size).

You need to remove the the front of the interior light panel by sliding it forward, then remove the panel completely.

You will then see the aerial mounted to the roof.

Remove the aerial from the roof, then place some sealer under the round section that mounts to the roof, and also a small amount under the plastic "umbrella" at the top of the locating pin.

Refit the aerial and it should not leak again.

:)

dublin15
31st August 2009, 10:40 PM
Margaret

I have the same problem with my 05 megane. Water in the passanger storage compartment. I do not have a sunroof.

Can I ask how you solved the problem and what caused it?

Thank you

dado
19th September 2009, 02:48 PM
Hi Where are the top of these sunroof drains located on a 1999 megan scenic i cannot see any tubes or holes anywhere near the sunroofs any pics please ? :confused:sorry to appear stupid but i am.!

Ivor_E_Tower
19th October 2009, 09:09 PM
The drains start almost in the corners - the front ones at the front of the front sunroof and the rear ones at the rear of the rear sunroof./ You need to fully open both the glass panels to see them properly. I have poked the springy net curtain wires through the pipes from each of the 4 corners on my 1998 Scenic. They appear to be clear but looks like I may have to take the front wheels off and remove part of the wheel-arch liners just to make double-sure. I'm only getting water into the front passenger footwell when it rains from somewhere just below the glove box; appears to be falling from the heater matrix which makes me think its drain hole is blocked. If I pour a bucket of water onto the mesh heater inlet, it doesn't come out from underneath the car, which is worrying. I didn't dare pour another bucket-full in !

dado
21st October 2009, 05:22 PM
Hi I had exactly the same water ingress as you it appeared to be coming from under the passenger dashboard I have since put windscreen sealent around the top and bottom of the outside of my windscreen and so far no leaks !:d

Ivor_E_Tower
25th October 2009, 09:04 PM
Bit of an update... not got my heater fan to work, but I think I have found the source of the water ingress. First I took a mirror and looked up under both sills. Poking around with a wire and thin screwdriver showed that all holes were clear (it also showed some rust and much flaking paint so that's another job for some sandpaper and hammerite at a later date).
Started to undo the pollen filter housing screw, and some water dripped out, so water is obviously finding its way into the air inlet path. This is not directly conected to what must be the lowest point in the plenum chamber, so even if that drain were blocked, it wouldn't stop the water at the pollen filter stage.
So, under the bonnet I went. If you take out the black plastic parts that bridge the gap between the rear edge of the bonnet and the base of the windscreen, you will see that there are drains high up in the inner wing. Basically on each side, there is a hole with a one-way plastic flap valve. These were both gunged up with leaves, mud, slime etc etc (yuk, nasty). So I have taken them out - they almost fell out into my hands as they are a push-fit into the cut-out in the wing. You can also easily see the gaping rectangle that is the inlet to the heater. A small pool of water in front of it, and I can see how on a slope it would be very easy for any water to slop over and into the heater air inlet. It's not offset very much from the mesh part in the plastic shield.
So now I have to wait for a heavy rainstorm to see if this part is "job done".

ourcar
25th October 2009, 09:15 PM
Why wait for rain, just get a hosepipe on it.

Ivor_E_Tower
1st November 2009, 09:09 PM
Poured with rain today and the car was outside for over a couple of hours... no water ingress! Just have to get the heater fan sorted now

billymorgs
12th November 2009, 03:55 PM
Interesting to hear the stories about water in the cars i have a 1998 scenic and i live on a slight gradient,if i park the car facing down,the driver side nearest the pavement the car is in the camber of the road and it leaks into the drivers footwell.If i park it facing up no water at all its weird.

Ivor_E_Tower
22nd November 2009, 09:45 PM
billy - I suspect that you may have the same "problem" as I had, which has now definitely been sorted. We've had loads of very wet days and the interior of my Scenic is still dry. Try taking the 2 pieces of black plastic off and check the huge hidden ledge underneath the base of the windscreen where water can accumulate.
For the past 2 years or so, I had noticed that water built up in the recesses where the bonnet hinge mechanisms go...... no longer, it's all dry under there.

elbandito
6th May 2010, 11:13 PM
Hi
I have a scenic II on a 53 plate and its been off the road for 4 days due to water in the front footwells, the storage boxes in the front were complety full of water, can i ask if the drain holes on a scenic II are the same as on the older scenics?
i have dried the car out now and its started for the first time since sunday, which is a relief, but i want to check every drain hole at the front, but not sure where they are,
cheers
Gra

Bonza
31st August 2010, 11:26 AM
Same problems with water inside.
2 faults found-
1. Rain coming in thru aerial fitting. Aerial stiff with corrosion at swivel point so used strong force in multistory car parks to bend the blighter down a bit. Result, lossened the fitting on the roof (slight dent) and the seal is broken. Water enters into the fitting above the rearview mirror and pours out when I brake hard, all over the gear knob and handbrake.
Solution- free up the aerial swivel fitting and reseat it all with mastic. No more roof leaks.

2. Water in passengers floor well. Removed the trim under the bonnet that runs across the car just below the wipers. You will see a tray in there that takes all the rain from just on front of the wipers and then flows out of a drain hole.
I found a rubber grommet used to seal a bit of the wiring loom as it passes thru the water tray had a split in it so that any rain will fall thru the grommet rather than thru the drain hole.
Heres the funny bit. This water, rather than just fall thru the engine bay was hitting an air con pipe that enters the front pass side. It then dribbles down that pipe into the car inside. We had at least 1 inch of water right back to the rear of the seat then it wicks into the carpet and into the rear area.

You cant replace the split grommet without major wiring work so I got a waterproof mastic from a motor caravan dealer and gummed it all up around the split.
Worked fine.

Hope this helps.
We used a hose to water around the wiper area and then looked inside the engine bay for wet and there it was, a very wet air con pipe!
Bonza

caz71
10th September 2010, 08:56 PM
anyone know how to remove the aeriel im afraid of breaking it....:o

Charenton
12th September 2010, 09:35 AM
anyone know how to remove the aeriel im afraid of breaking it....:o

See post number 61, it's pretty straightforward.

spallan49
18th September 2010, 10:50 AM
Hello, we have a 2002 scenic (mk2 i think) and water is gushing in at the sides of the front window when it rains. We took mud out of front wheel arches (didn't unscrew anything)and the water that was blocked flowed through BUT still are getting a big leak and its coming into footwells.
I have duct tapes round the top and its working, we just look silly. Please where should I start?

jbannerman
18th September 2010, 01:58 PM
2 possibilities to solve problem

1 - remove windscreen wipers and plastic cover over wiper componentws.

On left and right hand sides are 2 circular cut outs that block up causing water to build up in the channel - you should be able to push a finger through the gunge blocking the holes and the water should flow out.

2 - Remove the plastic splach shields behind the front wheels - you should see a plastic pipe leading from the sun roof drain channels down to the pipes - they block up at the bottom and can be cleaned out by inserting a piece of wire or hard flexible plastic up the pipe - the water should then flow out

Remember the bolts securing the plastic splash shields are torx bolts.

Hope this helps.

JB

Charenton
18th September 2010, 05:20 PM
Hello, we have a 2002 scenic (mk2 i think) and water is gushing in at the sides of the front window when it rains. We took mud out of front wheel arches (didn't unscrew anything)and the water that was blocked flowed through BUT still are getting a big leak and its coming into footwells.
I have duct tapes round the top and its working, we just look silly. Please where should I start?

I sympathise with you. I first discovered water under the boot carpet and in the spare wheel well when I got a puncture when my 2000 Scenic was 18 months old. I traced the leak to a drip, drip, drip off the rear end of the nearside sunroof roof track. After removing the nearside plastic trim in the boot I discovered the drain pipe in corner appeared to be have been squashed by the trim. I put it all back carefully, so I thought, but it still leaked afterwards.

My rear sunroof has been taped up with black electrical tape for about 9 years now. I renew the tape every 12 months or so. At least the boot has remained dry for those 9 years. One day I may remove the trim again and try to protect the pipe from squashing better. My next car won't have a sunroof!!

spallan49
19th September 2010, 01:30 AM
2 possibilities to solve problem

1 - remove windscreen wipers and plastic cover over wiper componentws.

On left and right hand sides are 2 circular cut outs that block up causing water to build up in the channel - you should be able to push a finger through the gunge blocking the holes and the water should flow out.

2 - Remove the plastic splach shields behind the front wheels - you should see a plastic pipe leading from the sun roof drain channels down to the pipes - they block up at the bottom and can be cleaned out by inserting a piece of wire or hard flexible plastic up the pipe - the water should then flow out

Remember the bolts securing the plastic splash shields are torx bolts.

Hope this helps.

JB
It definitely helps!!! Thank you so much. We will attempt this in the morning.

spallan49
19th September 2010, 01:34 AM
I sympathise with you. I first discovered water under the boot carpet and in the spare wheel well when I got a puncture when my 2000 Scenic was 18 months old. I traced the leak to a drip, drip, drip off the rear end of the nearside sunroof roof track. After removing the nearside plastic trim in the boot I discovered the drain pipe in corner appeared to be have been squashed by the trim. I put it all back carefully, so I thought, but it still leaked afterwards.

My rear sunroof has been taped up with black electrical tape for about 9 years now. I renew the tape every 12 months or so. At least the boot has remained dry for those 9 years. One day I may remove the trim again and try to protect the pipe from squashing better. My next car won't have a sunroof!!

Margaret, you made me laugh....but I really hope I
don't have duct tape too for 9 years. We have a 7 and a 10 year old that think apart from backing books etc I am obsessed with wrapping and sticking things.My duct tape work hasn't been as effective as yours though, the rain pours in from near the roof down the sides.
Ah well....hopefully tomorrow will sort it.

spallan49
19th September 2010, 11:42 PM
Help! Today we spent hours trying to clean out the drains. We got to the wheel arch and yes indeed behind the valve there was lots of mud.
We used strimmer wire/guitar wire/curtain wire in both directions. When we put the strimmer wire down it did not come out the bottom, it went roughly 3/4 the distance.
Also when the sunroof was open and we poured water straight into the drainage hole area, the water flowed much quicker to the wheel arch after taking out the mud.....but....it also still came out at the liner and in the sides of the windows.

By away we also checked the mesh thing near the wipers...all clean.

Could there be a problem with the pipe going to the drainage hole...I have no idea how to remove the roof liner or indeed how to put it back.

Advice really welcome.

trish1
4th October 2010, 06:33 PM
hiya i have a 2001 scienic andd have a massive water problem in both footwells we did the front window wiper area took all trim and wipers of and cleaned it then set about the drain holes on the sunroof we have got the passenger running free of water now but the drivers side is blocked solid half way down the tube i went and bought some curtain wire as advised in a earlier comment but that wont move it it solid and ideas please going of my head with this

abrahaj
24th October 2010, 10:21 PM
Hi,

I bought my January 1999 Scenic last week, and I love it, but noticed this weekend that I may have a water problem in the boot.

There are wet patches in the boot each side above the wheel arches, and the spare wheel is wet and the foam underneath is soaked.

I only have manual pop up sunroofs, but I presume I have the same drain holes that are mentioned in numerous threads on this subject?

Or is this a different problem I have here?

nickynocks
28th October 2010, 10:56 PM
try flushing it through with hot water and descaler!!!!

scenicsimmo
5th November 2010, 06:06 PM
Hi,
This is my first post and I wanted to share the problem I had and the final solution.
The problem was water in passenger foot-well and a water sloshing noise from behind the fascia on the passengers side.
Having read the comments on this topic I carried out a number of checks which I considered relevant to my problem. Such as checking the sunroof drainage points. The sill drainage and the scuttle shelf drainage under the wipers. My problem was finally solved with the help from my Renault garage who pointed out that water from the air-con condenser should exit from underneath the car at a point roughly in the middle of the floor-pan. This sometimes blocks up and can also cause the water backup to enter the fan blower unit - hence the sloshing noise. The drainage point can really only be accessed safely by putting the car over an inspection pit or on a car lift. If you have to put the car into garage, as I did, allow costing for one hour labour and an additional hour if the fan blower housing has to be taken apart in order to remove water should it have gotten into that area. One pre check which could be carried out is to place the car on a flat dry surface and run the engine with the air-con switched on. If water exits from under the car then the drainage is okay. If not, then an air -con drain blockage could be the problem.
Hope this helps out anyone with a similar problem to mine. I will search out a friend with an inspection pit if it happens again to me as I prefer to DIY if possible.

twonames
23rd February 2011, 07:38 PM
This is all very useful.

I've had a 1997 scenic since almost new and never had a problem. t got taken away by a scrappy on Saturday.

My replacement 1998 scenic seems to be leaking from the aeriel hole. Plip stopped working today (just as well I had the emergency immobiliser code to hand) and then Mrs twonames noticed drips from above.

I shall get the goo gun out at the weekend

fionapops
22nd May 2011, 11:11 PM
Hi
New to the forum, I have a water problem - when I turn left after heavy rainfall the passenger gets a sudden gush of water from the above lights, when I turn right:crazy::crazy: it happens to me.
The car a 2000 renault scenic has been to the garage loads of times since I bought it new, they said that they had sealed various areas, it has been ok until it rains. Please help
Thanks Fiona

cbrcarts
23rd May 2011, 11:26 AM
Have you got a sunroof If you have there's a strong possibility the drainage tubes are blocked. Another area may be where the aerial enters the roof. Sometimes the seal perishes allowing water in. If you have a sunroof, open it up fully and very carefully pour some water into the gully in the front corners. You should see a small hole either side. The water should exit just to the back of the front wheels if the tubes are clear. Hope this helps.....

andytvcams
23rd May 2011, 12:52 PM
Hi
New to the forum, I have a water problem - when I turn left after heavy rainfall the passenger gets a sudden gush of water from the above lights, when I turn right:crazy::crazy: it happens to me.
The car a 2000 renault scenic has been to the garage loads of times since I bought it new, they said that they had sealed various areas, it has been ok until it rains. Please help
Thanks Fiona

If its coming in from the centre light their is a good chance its the areal thats leaking.

peterga
25th June 2011, 03:48 PM
I have an R reg Scenic and have always noticed a sloshing sound coming from the passengers side but never though much of it.
Now it is leaking big time - about 2 inches of water in the footwell under both front seats, soaked carpets and water in the storage compartments in the back.
I have read several forums and they all appear to suggest its caused by a blocked drainpipe in the sunroof - when trying to remove this pipe and blow through to remove the blockage the pipe was stuck fast and would not come off - I am loath to take it to the garage as I am paying back a loan of 1,500 for a new transmission I had to have fitted recently.
Help please!!

Maggie

Hi Maggie

had same problem with my 52 scenic, which eventually caused the heater blower to rust away, the problem normally lies within the drainage cavity just below the front windscreen wipers, the grill needs removing and the drainage ponts on the left and right sides usually get blocked over a period of time and causes the water to hold in this cavity. and also fills the blower heater fan housing to fill with water as this is located on the left hand side, where water eventually spills onto the footwell passanger side.

Hope this helps
Peter

THE BANDIT
22nd July 2011, 07:10 AM
Hi,the problem with the drain pipe's is they get blocked ,the easiest way is to make a cut at the bottom of each pipe under the rear bumper ,then park your car on a slope, on the rear of the seal's near the rear wheel are drain plugs,remove one and let it drain.

Charenton
22nd July 2011, 11:45 AM
Hi,the problem with the drain pipe's is they get blocked ,the easiest way is to make a cut at the bottom of each pipe under the rear bumper ,then park your car on a slope, on the rear of the seal's near the rear wheel are drain plugs,remove one and let it drain.

Remember you have got drain pipes at the front as well. These drain water from the front of the sun roof(if fitted) and the air inlet grill at the front of the windscreen. These pipes may need cleaning occasionally too. See the posts above.

Mevagissey Medic
11th August 2011, 07:11 PM
Check that the drain holes in the sills are not blocked, I would hear a sloshing sound on my right between the doors resulting in my drivers carpet soaked the following day,

Easy cure as you can see with my photos, insert a cable tie in these slots and hopefully if blocked will allow the water to run out, (dont forget to remove the cable ties)

dgcouriers
23rd August 2011, 05:19 PM
Help please!!

Maggie
hi i have same problem 30% water comes out behind wheel arch and 70% comes into car so i pushed an fish tank air line down dranage tube and sealed round it job done

GamithUK
28th October 2011, 10:11 PM
Just thought I would add my 2pence.
This is on a 2002 Renault Scenic Dynamique auto. I have only had it for 3 weeks so far.

I had just completed a front brake pad change (piece of wee-wee, but then I'm used to Citroens) and thought I would check out the front scuttle drain holes. This was partly because I had found this forum when researching Scenics, but mostly because the passenger footwell carpet was wet and there were drops coming from a plastic part where the passengers toes would be.

Anyway - opened bonnet, pulled off the rubber strip at the top of the bulkhead, undid the 5 torx screws then set to work to get the wiper blades off - eventually ended up using a ball-joint puller left over from my GS(A) days to get the wiper arm loose.
After that it was easy - lift out the two halves of the scuttle cover and I could then investigate.
Sure enough there was a trace of a small pond at the bottom of the air intake on the nearside, and a lot of sludge in front of the rubber flap-thing that was covering the drain hole. The offside had a similar collection of gunk, but no pond.
I undid the suspension column covers to make a little more room, and to check for condition.
Cleaned the sludge out, then decided to take the flaps out and store in under the suspension covers, just in case I needed them in the future.
The nearside also has a plastic flap attached, which hide the flap a little - it's held on with another torx-screw and a clip.
I will find out if that's cured the leak when it rains next, but I'm hopeful.

Some points that other might find useful:
The scuttle covers need to be fitted nearside first, since the offside covers the nearside.
The scuttle covers have little pegs that slot into holes in the body work to ensure they are aligned properly - they also have clips on the underside, so the covers need to be twisted a little to get them to slot under the windscreen.
While the wiper assembly is exposed it's probably a good idea to give the joints a quick oiling. I used a spray WD40, but I reckon I should have used my little squirter with engine oil in.
After refitting the wiper arms it's a good idea to give them a test to make sure they are on tight enough :-)

Anyway, so far so good - in the next few weeks I'll be looking to do the back brakes, clear (if they are blocked that is) the sunroof drains, check the spark plugs, filters and oil - though the oil looks clear and the service record is pretty up to date, so I think it's been looked after.
No doubt I'll be keeping an eye on these fora to see what awaits me :-)

ttfn

Odysseus
23rd December 2011, 02:08 PM
Having just been though this process myself, a few points:

1) Clear the sills by all means, but be aware the problems may stem more from the channel beneath the windscreen not draining into the sills properly, thereby flowing through the heater air inlet (as with my problem). You might not see much blockage when you go through GamithUK's instructions (very clear by the way - thanks) on a dry day. But it won't take much debris and water flow of the rubber flap drain holes either side.

2) I removed the rubber flaps and threw them away. No problems since. Do the French do irony? Why design something so easily defeated in order to protect against something (the sills blocking up) so easy to fix and maintain.

3) I also pulled up the passenger footwell carpet and removed some of the floor insulation to dry it out. I cut through the latter to get it out with minimal need to remove trim and other components - a straight forward horizontal cut across the footwell about four inches beneath glovebox level, and around to central column. A bit of duct tape helped keep it secured in place once refitted. Once out, I parked for a while so that section was the lowest, to allow other water pools to drain into it before Mr Dyson came to the rescue.

4) Be aware that water may well remain in the rear floor insulation for some time if left to dry naturally. This can refill the front footwell area, particularly if you park facing downhill. Continued misting and possibly wet rear seats (which I think is condensation rather than rising water) are giveaways, even if the carpets don't feel wet.

5) Also be aware that the ingress of water might affect parts in the area - particularly the heater blower resistor pack and motor (which I'm currently trying to deal with).

All for the sake of two useless rubber discs ...

Danie1000
25th January 2012, 02:13 PM
Hi There,

Im driving the Scenic II 1.9 Dci 2004 model and recently noticed that the aircon system releases its water inside the vehicle ( no doubt about). If the air con is not in use , there is no water inside the footwells.

Any suggestions how I would be able to solve this problem? Its obviously a blockage of the air con release pipe(s).

Looking forward to your comments.

Regards,

Danie

VelSatisfied
25th January 2012, 02:25 PM
It does sound like the breather pipe is clogged.

It will necessitate getting underneath and using a wire or thin rod to clear it, I would think.

Make sure the car is securely supported before getting underneath.

HTH

Paul

wyn burgess
27th January 2012, 04:52 PM
I have had a 2000 Scenic for the last 8 years and had been plagued with water ingress through the sunroofs front and rear since purchase. Water collected in the spare wheel housing and on the passenger front footwell. After weeks of investigation I removed the roof lining, you can see the stains in the corners where water comes in, mainly on the nearside because the car is parked leaning over that way.

I checked the drain tubes and they were fine though the rear were a bit kinked over a clip in front of the lights. I lived with drips coming in on top of me through the square holes adjacent to the mounting bolts while I tried in vain to discover how water was entering, I even removed the sunroof assembly and could see potential entry points but nothing I could confirm as a defect.

Eventually using a small mirror I could see how the water entered, see my sketch for the answer. The roof adjacent to the corners of the sunroofs has shallower downstands than the straight seams next to the corners and this together with the fact that water on the sunroofs always migrates to one of the corners. I had read about capillary attraction but never experienced it directly, the amazing thing is that with the drain tube removed about 60% of the water comes in through the hole adjacent to the bolt and about 40% down the drain tube, total about a cup full from the lowest corner of the sunroofs after a night of heavy rain, so I think that blaming blocked drain tubes are a bit of a side show as even if partially blocked the tubes would still drain the limited amount of water.

And the cure? Two tubes of gel type Superglue applied to the underside of the roof adjacent to the corners of the sunroofs (total 8) to seal the exposed seams. It was a relief to find no fault with the sunroofs as they are the best part of a grand from Renault and you have to fit it!

Charenton
28th January 2012, 10:38 AM
Interesting post Wyn.

I also have a 2000 Scenic and have had exactly the same problem you mention with the nearside rear sunroof drain from new.

I didn't discover the problem until the car was 18 months old when I found the spare wheel well half full of water.

I stripped the boot linings out and found the drain pipe was kinked by being trapped. I attended to that but it didn't fix the problem. As I never open the rear sunroof I ended up putting black tape over the sunroof edges and haven't had any trouble since, other then renewing the tape every 12 months or so.

nicksun
30th January 2012, 03:01 PM
If you have an aerial leak, remove the aerial, fill the conical part with a general purpose silicone sealant, refit the aerial but don't tighten the nut fully until the sealant has set. This would generally be the next day. This will form a flexible seal on the roof which will not be affected by movement due to extremes of heat and cold.
It worked for me.
Nick.

rizlas
23rd April 2012, 07:06 PM
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4674/imag0222r.jpg
Shot at 2012-04-23

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/53/imag0221oj.jpg
Shot at 2012-04-23

mark115
21st May 2012, 03:49 PM
If you have an aerial leak, remove the aerial, fill the conical part with a general purpose silicone sealant, refit the aerial but don't tighten the nut fully until the sealant has set. This would generally be the next day. This will form a flexible seal on the roof which will not be affected by movement due to extremes of heat and cold.
It worked for me.
Nick.

How do you remove the aerial to do this ?

davechelseafan
1st June 2012, 02:14 PM
thankyou heaps,chris m,i have a 1999 scenic with a very wet drivers foot well and rear stash box,,,i immediately thought sunroof and sealed same with wide black tape,but you have given me food for thought,and areas to examine now with drier weather i may be able to examine all areas you sugest,many thanx

Teerex
13th June 2012, 10:20 AM
Can anyone tell me which screw driver to use when trying to get off the wheel arch trim? I think its a torx screw?

henryisaacs
25th October 2012, 06:48 PM
Help please!!

Maggie

I had trouble with water with my W reg Scenic.When
i went around a left or right corner you could hear
water sloshing around the dashboard area.It got so bad,that one day the water came down onto my wifes feet when i turned a right hand bend,she was
in the passengers side.When i got home i lifted the bonnet and removed the grill below the windscreen
wipers.Under this grill there is a drainage hole this was blocked with leaves,causing the water to enter
the car.There are two drainage holes,one in the right
corner and one in the left corner.Clear these by useing a stiff piece of wire and push the wire down
these drain holes.It is NOT the blocked drain pipe for
the sun roof,but the two drain holes situated behind the grill.The grill is located beneath the front windscreen wipers.Hope this helps.
Regards Henry

lam16renS
21st November 2012, 08:07 PM
Hi,

I'm the exact same - it's gone really bad recently with all the rain we've gotten.

I've got a suspicion that mine might be to do with the ariel - anyone know if that is possible? Reason I think that is I never had a problem with leaks, however one day I stupidly forgot to put down the ariel when going through a carwash and it got pushed back fairly far, almost breaking off. The next day during a heavy shower of rain I noticed a small trickle of water coming in through the interior lights.

It never did do that again though so I thought nothing more of it - but now that it's started to fill the rear compartments I'm beginning to wonder. Maybe yours is the same? Either that or like other poeple think it could be the sunroof drain pipe.

Let me know if you get yours sorted- might help me fix mine!
I have to replace the UPC computer and harness due to corrosion !
The UPC is under the bonnet inside the fuse box and the harness jack underneath the passenger seat
The harness jack cannot be replaced , a complete harness is required !
The technician will try to bypass the jack by cutting and soldering the wires
Problem is that a wire in and out differs in color
Techi says it is a common problem - should then be Renault's cost ?
Cost ZAR 6500 UPC and harness ZAR 24000
Never again a Renault